Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:56:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Extremely small moments in comedy that make you laugh way more than intended

Started by Tikwid, May 01, 2018, 01:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikwid

Clownbaby's thread about Pierre from Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job! reminded me of part of his appearance in the 2017 special. Most of the sketch was typical T&E grossout stuff, but the opening had Pierre signing a photo for someone's dad - except he'd drawn a completely different face over his headshot in thick marker pen. That and the sinister way he asked the child to pass on his regards to the dad (who I think he addressed as "Aglobo"?) really got me, in a way that the rest of the sketch didn't.

QDRPHNC

Mobius

Quote from: Large Noise on July 10, 2018, 03:22:35 AM
This "Dead Air" comment from Frank in It's Always Sunny. It pops into my head when I can't think of anything to say to in conversation.

https://youtu.be/i2BQ-wYaKbc?t=36

Love that. Dennis' 'podcast voice' always makes me howl as well.

mippy

That the lyrics Super Hans and Jeremy keep arguing over when their song unexpectedly makes it big are 'Atol protected, atol protected'.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Tikwid on July 10, 2018, 06:23:37 PM
Clownbaby's thread about Pierre from Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job! reminded me of part of his appearance in the 2017 special. Most of the sketch was typical T&E grossout stuff, but the opening had Pierre signing a photo for someone's dad - except he'd drawn a completely different face over his headshot in thick marker pen. That and the sinister way he asked the child to pass on his regards to the dad (who I think he addressed as "Aglobo"?) really got me, in a way that the rest of the sketch didn't.

Every Pierre moment is pretty much gold

Clownbaby

The BadLipReading videos always get me
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YjaZNYSt7o0

"I got a porcupine called 'Zazoom'/He leaves in scent on people's graves (why is Zazoom always around so many graves?)"

TMJ

Instagram reminded me of a clip in The Simpsons where Homer is giving a speech in the garden and opens with "If I could just say a few words, I'd be a better public speaker." Everyone else looks on in silence but Bart bursts into such genuine laughter and it gets me every single time. The Simpsons was always really good at making characters laughing at something, really funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZXQDP2e59o

Custard

Another from Black Books:

Fran to Danny, the gangster who can't read

"And take that look off your big silly head"

Barely gets a laugh from the audience, yet it got me

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 12, 2018, 12:07:52 PM
Another from Black Books:

Fran to Danny, the gangster who can't read

"And take that look off your big silly head"

Barely gets a laugh from the audience, yet it got me

That reminds me of the episode with the gangster boss who's also a dwarf.  You can tell that the audience are incredibly uncomfortable with the premise (as the joke is essentially 'haha.  Who could possibly be afraid of a dwarf?!').  I think there's a line where Bernard uses the politically incorrect M word, to hit the point home ("HE'S A MIDGET!).  You can almost hear the audience's disapproval, through the deafening silence at this attempted joke.

Sebastian Cobb

Speaking of little people the pull-back to reveal the tech staring intently always really tickled me in the bit of the office where Neil Fitsmaurice's character clearly explains the difference between Midgets, Dwarves and Elves.

Ornlu

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 12, 2018, 01:41:50 PM
Speaking of little people the pull-back to reveal the tech staring intently always really tickled me in the bit of the office where Neil Fitsmaurice's character clearly explains the difference between Midgets, Dwarves and Elves.

I think the pull-back reveals Gareth, standing there bemused. The tech pops up from underneath the desk only once or so, and it's masterfully done.

"How long you gonna be mate?"

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ornlu on July 14, 2018, 05:24:55 PM
I think the pull-back reveals Gareth, standing there bemused. The tech pops up from underneath the desk only once or so, and it's masterfully done.

"How long you gonna be mate?"

Unless this is a "Berenstein Bears" type of situation, Sebastian Cobb is definitely correct.  There's a cutaway to the tech guy, on tenterhooks as to the distinction between midgets, dwarves and elves.

Sebastian Cobb

Can't find it on youtube but there's some hilarious bits in the otherwise bleak Loach film The Navigators.

the whole 'where's me Sardines?' bit in the chippy and the immortal line 'Fucking bollock bastards!' and 'it's enough to make you fuckin' swear' all issued by the janitor.

McChesney Duntz

Showed my girlfriend Taxi Driver for the first time last night and, apart from Albert Brooks' obviously funny performance, was reminded anew of several laugh-out-loud moments, some of them quite small: a) a lot of Harry Northrup's dialogue in the Bellmore Cafeteria scenes - "Midgets are funny. I like to hold a midget" being the weirdest/funniest; b) Bickle having coffee with Betsy - "I'm no pusher. I never have pushed"; and c), my favorite, De Niro's wordless ten-second reaction as he tries to process the question "How's it hanging?"

But then, Scorsese can't stray too far from comedy, even in his grimmest pictures, can he? All the same, I'm glad he's yet to do a "straight" laffer (The King of Comedy and After Hours notwithstanding - though I'd hardly call either of them "straight" comedies) - his humor tends to flourish when it emerges from some pretty dark fissures in general.

DrGreggles

SteveDave

Daisy's little leg kick at the end of her one woman show in Spaced. It looks like she's trying to move a bit of paper on the floor. I never noticed it until I listened to the commentary.

Dr Rock

I think Thor Ragnarok is one of the best comedies for years. Out of all the often improvised stuff there's a scene between Thor and Banner, when Thor gives away he will be needing Hulk to cary out his plan to defeat Hela. A disgruntled Banner 'says you don't want Banner, you want Hulk...Banner is powerful too!'

Thor:Unconvinced,fast 'But is he?'

It's the way he say 'but is he?' that makes it my favourite line in a very funny movie.

Second is the shot of Loki, silent in abject terror, when he realizes Hulk is on the Planet.

Bhazor

Schnapple

Was watching The Sopranos last night, the episode 'Whoever Did This', when we finally see a slither of humanity from Ralph, after his son accidentally shoots himself with an arrow under his supervision, seemingly rendering him dead or severely disabled.

Not that idea in particular of course, but his ex, Rosalie Aprile, arriving to comfort him and Ralph apologising for his treatment of her. She embraces him and says, "Justin's going to be alright."

There's then a smash cut to her eating lunch with Carmela: "He's gonna be a vegetable."

The Sopranos is a masterpiece of funny cuts, but that's an all-timer. I had to pause it.

EOLAN

A bit in the Day Today about the Dog Bombers with Armando Ianucci making a rare appearance.

Doesn't sound at all funny. Camera is set across the street as believe Armando walks up to the area police have cordoned off and gives Armando an exaggerated gesture that he needs to turn around.
Mixture of exaggerated gesture and Armando's bemused reaction and even the lack of intimacy in the camera shot being across the street make old me all chuckling. 

gmoney

Jon dancing at his son's Skamitzva, specifically the bit where he just goes "BIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDI!" The joy emanating from him, while he's being so obnoxious.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: EOLAN on July 20, 2018, 12:13:53 PM
A bit in the Day Today about the Dog Bombers with Armando Ianucci making a rare appearance.

Doesn't sound at all funny. Camera is set across the street as believe Armando walks up to the area police have cordoned off and gives Armando an exaggerated gesture that he needs to turn around.
Mixture of exaggerated gesture and Armando's bemused reaction and even the lack of intimacy in the camera shot being across the street make old me all chuckling.

I always loved that bit too, I think Iannucci's slightness as this ultra-wanky copper lords over him makes it a much funnier piece of ohysical comedy than it has any right to be.

Creature Comforts: I used to rewind and replay the bit at 0:53 where the Alsatian does a weird grunt/twitch, it made me laugh so hard back in the day for some reason https://youtu.be/NOK49A0fWOs

Brundle-Fly

Super Hans in the background at the party entertaining guests by tormenting his pet snake in a salad spinner. That's how I vaguely remember the moment but it had me in stitches.

Clownbaby

I'm rewatching Arreste Development for about the 80th time and I love the way GOB always goes from one extreme emotion to another.

Also the way George Michael says "let her in" when Michael fails to remember Ann

Just all the Ann bits. Love them.

Ornlu

Quote from: EOLAN on July 20, 2018, 12:13:53 PM

Rewatching the clip, Morris's hilarious lead-in caught me totally by surprise. "This report from Eugene Fraxby, who's got the story with him, reports."