Author Topic: Extremely small moments in comedy that make you laugh way more than intended  (Read 36019 times)

When The Monarch and Dr Girlfriend are getting married and Rusty is best man.

'I want to tell her I love her but the point is probably moot'
'Are you reciting Jesse's Girl?'

alan nagsworth

• hired goons?
When The Monarch and Dr Girlfriend are getting married and Rusty is best man.

'I want to tell her I love her but the point is probably moot'
'Are you reciting Jesse's Girl?'

Yeah, TVB is one of those shows just laden with magic like that. Frisky Dingo is another one chock full of throwaway lines that are equally as brilliant as the big hitters. I really really love this exchange between the Xtacles when they're trying to dress up Nearl to look like Xander:

Xtacle 1: "Maybe you and Nearl, your f**king prom date, can borrow your dad's f**king time machine, and fly it into the gym down there at Ima Jaghoff High School, and slow dance to Lisa Lisa and motherf**king Cult Jam!"

Xtacle 2: "Uh, I think you'll find it's The Cult Jam."

Xtacle 3: "You are correct sir!"

The big explosive first bit isn't the funniest part of the exchange at all. Neither is the smug correction that follows. It's the extremely nerdy confirmation from the third guy with the "sir" that is still hilariously parodic of how people communicate on online communities, specifically Reddit. Adam Reed is brilliant at writing that stuff.

All Surrogate

• People like you just fuel my fire.
Eric Idle's slight shake of the head:

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
"A drug dealer called Lips" from the intro to The Maria Bamford Show: https://youtu.be/yFHmNrxkuFU

It's the combination of such a weirdly evocative name and her atonal pronunciation as she "sings" the line. Cracks me up. They're all amazing and worth watching, BTW.

kalowski

• Sooner or later
"You've overslept."
"I slept longer than I anticipated "

Genius Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
I know it's a running joke on Brooklyn 99 that Captain Holt has an emotionless tone, but I've been really properly delighted all day by a bit in season 5 where a criminal makes a death threat against Holt's husband Kevin, and they have to orchestrate an urgent plan to get Kevin from work at his university and get him into a police van to a safe house, where Holt greets him "Hello Kevin. It's me, Raymond Holt."

It's all in the delivery, and it's so simple, but using the last name kills me.

Former

• Big Cock Salad

Coogan really is excellent at embodying and bringing a character isn't he, even when given a few lines and a few seconds of screen time. 

Professor Bruce McDade from Banff University.

On one level, I'd love to have seen that character given more screen time, but it's a credit to Coogan that a fringe, presumably largely improvised character in a one-off topical show from 22 years ago who only appeared for a few minutes is still memorable.