Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 752
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:57:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Extremely small moments in comedy that make you laugh way more than intended

Started by Tikwid, May 01, 2018, 01:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

When The Monarch and Dr Girlfriend are getting married and Rusty is best man.

'I want to tell her I love her but the point is probably moot'
'Are you reciting Jesse's Girl?'

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 11, 2019, 02:05:21 PM

Yeah, TVB is one of those shows just laden with magic like that. Frisky Dingo is another one chock full of throwaway lines that are equally as brilliant as the big hitters. I really really love this exchange between the Xtacles when they're trying to dress up Nearl to look like Xander:

Xtacle 1: "Maybe you and Nearl, your f**king prom date, can borrow your dad's f**king time machine, and fly it into the gym down there at Ima Jaghoff High School, and slow dance to Lisa Lisa and motherf**king Cult Jam!"

Xtacle 2: "Uh, I think you'll find it's The Cult Jam."

Xtacle 3: "You are correct sir!"

The big explosive first bit isn't the funniest part of the exchange at all. Neither is the smug correction that follows. It's the extremely nerdy confirmation from the third guy with the "sir" that is still hilariously parodic of how people communicate on online communities, specifically Reddit. Adam Reed is brilliant at writing that stuff.

All Surrogate

Mister Six

"A drug dealer called Lips" from the intro to The Maria Bamford Show: https://youtu.be/yFHmNrxkuFU

It's the combination of such a weirdly evocative name and her atonal pronunciation as she "sings" the line. Cracks me up. They're all amazing and worth watching, BTW.

kalowski

"You've overslept."
"I slept longer than I anticipated "

Genius Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

BritishHobo

I know it's a running joke on Brooklyn 99 that Captain Holt has an emotionless tone, but I've been really properly delighted all day by a bit in season 5 where a criminal makes a death threat against Holt's husband Kevin, and they have to orchestrate an urgent plan to get Kevin from work at his university and get him into a police van to a safe house, where Holt greets him "Hello Kevin. It's me, Raymond Holt."

It's all in the delivery, and it's so simple, but using the last name kills me.

Former

Quote from: thraxx on February 20, 2019, 10:40:06 AM

Coogan really is excellent at embodying and bringing a character isn't he, even when given a few lines and a few seconds of screen time. 

Professor Bruce McDade from Banff University.

On one level, I'd love to have seen that character given more screen time, but it's a credit to Coogan that a fringe, presumably largely improvised character in a one-off topical show from 22 years ago who only appeared for a few minutes is still memorable.

sponk

So many in Brass Eye. The smug look and grin Morris does when it's revealed the jury have died of pollution, banging on the gate making the dogs bark in Animals, the rising balloon in Crime, the look on his face when he sees himself shagging during Sex, his Stephen Hawking face also at the end of Science. I like that last one because you know he's thinking of doing it, but it looks as if he takes half a second to think about it first. Morris is probably the only person who's ever been able to reduce me to tears with a very subtle facial expression

famethrowa

Big Train - "He really really looked like Shakespeare." It's a joyous use of bathos, so well deployed that for most it just isn't funny at all. But it is

sanchopanza

Toast of london saying 'unterpantzi' for the gay German sex scene voice-over.... Was ill on my couch when I first seen this and nearly threw up from laughter.  It made me cry.

kalowski

Dusty Substance

One of the MacLean Brothers on KMKY: "Tim Burton, he directed Batman..."

Partridge: "Yeah, I know who he is".

That exchange has always tickled me for some reason, even though I've never been 100% sure if Partridge is blagging or not.

magval

The Laughing Priest deciding not to tell a story about Fr. Harry Coyle after he's finished his performance as Bowie in Competition Time.

You can see the look Coyle gives him even though the camera never shows it, because of how well your man plays his response when he says "he won't mind me telling you this now, ahahahaha...ahh, no, no, no no...".

Also very funny how he says "Diana Ross, and TWO of the Supremes" moments later.

Clownbaby

There's a moment in Eric Andre Show where Hannibal is doing a lil routine and Eric emerges from the back curtains munching pizza and grinning that I love even though it's very brief

Glebe

Not really an extremely small moment, but Edward and Tubbs interpreting "a can of coke" as "I can I can't" in The League of Gentlemen and then the guy panicking and going "I can I can't" himself is smashing.

famethrowa

Quote from: Glebe on May 08, 2019, 08:05:48 AM
Not really an extremely small moment, but Edward and Tubbs interpreting "a can of coke" as "I can I can't" in The League of Gentlemen and then the guy panicking and going "I can I can't" himself is smashing.

I still do that one, every time.

Cuellar

In It's Always Sunny when they're playing Chardee MacDennis and Mac gets the 'take all the money from everyone's wallets' card and Frank says that he's got '$500' in his wallet

Mac raises his eyebrows and does a little wiggle of his head before saying 'well, give it to me'. Something about his expression cracks me up, every time.

alan nagsworth

The way Arthur Mathews furrows his brow at about 0:30 in this Big Train sketch when Eldon starts expressing his stolen opinion is so perfect to me. That tiny little gesture is such a good precursor to how much he absolutely tears Eldon apart shortly after.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 11, 2019, 03:53:36 PM
The way Arthur Mathews furrows his brow at about 0:30 in this Big Train sketch when Eldon starts expressing his stolen opinion is so perfect to me. That tiny little gesture is such a good precursor to how much he absolutely tears Eldon apart shortly after.

Everything he does in that sketch is so good I wish he did more acting.
"YOU BOLLOCKS! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU!"

jobotic

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 11, 2019, 03:53:36 PM

Wait a minute...

QuoteNagsworth

the way matthews furrows his brow at eldon's suggestion is absolutely perfect

St_Eddie

Quote from: jobotic on May 11, 2019, 04:22:52 PM
Wait a minute...

Aye, I noticed that too.  To be fair, I often post the same comment under a YouTube video that I also post on here.  The world most know my opinions.

jsgibble

There's a bit in one of the first episodes of the Carla Lane sitcom Solo where the main woman is talking about the breakup with her (ex) boyfriend and he's in her bed trying to get her to stop arguing and watch a film with him. They argue some more and then he calls her Mum for her. The call ends with her saying "there's a good film on telly tonight" word for word how her ex just said it.

The small audience reaction made me think it wasn't supposed to be a big joke, and it doesn't sound like much there, but it made me laugh a lot. It was just so unexpected when put next to the seriousness of the argument they were having. It's that sort of subtle parody of small talk that you might get in The Royle Family or Mum or something.

amateur

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 11, 2019, 02:05:21 PM

The Monarch has all the best lines.

"I met her on the LiveJournal, which I kept in prison. I have been blogging!"

Mobbd

There's a bit in The Adam and Joe Show where they're parodying The 1900 House by doing a "1980s House" or something. Adam opens the fridge to reveal a plastic egg carousel. He says, "Give is a whizz, and eggs there is."

This was clearly an off-hand ad-libby bit of nothing but it really got under my skin, made me giggle like an idiot, and I still say it all the time.

On Adam's Podcast fairly recently, someone (Graham Linehan?) brought it up as something he liked about A&J but misquoted it. Adam didn't show any signs of remembering it either. Still, I felt VINDICATED for laughing at it so much and remembering it for twenty years.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: amateur on May 12, 2019, 11:45:33 AM
The Monarch has all the best lines.

"I met her on the LiveJournal, which I kept in prison. I have been blogging!"

The Monarch is genuinely one of the most impeccably flawed and brilliant comedy characters ever written. I've never seen anything quite like it. Hammer and Jackson seem to have hit the ground running writing his development from the first season but he's just so magnificently realised, and he's so fucking funny as well. God. The Venture Bros is unlike anything I've ever seen before or will ever see again. The best. And Malcolm's the best character in it.

Here I am once again prodding everyone who's not already watched it to log in to Channel 4 - where it is all now FREELY AVAILABLE - and watch The Venture Bros, one of the greatest television shows ever made. Better than The Wire. Better than First Dates. Go.