Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:58:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Extremely small moments in comedy that make you laugh way more than intended

Started by Tikwid, May 01, 2018, 01:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

The Monarch might be the best overall, but I think Orpheus smashes it whenever he makes an appearance.

alan nagsworth

Yeah, he's brilliant. I can completely relate to fan criticisms that he hasn't nearly been around enough in the last couple of seasons. He has a wonderful conscience and his relationship with those around him - especially Jon Benjamin's wonderfully voiced Master - is always charming.

samadriel

Is there a midpoint in Venture Bros where it gets significantly funnier?  I watched quite a few of the beginning episodes and became intensely bored, but I'm aware of its reputation, so I don't want to give up yet.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: samadriel on May 12, 2019, 02:05:02 PM
Is there a midpoint in Venture Bros where it gets significantly funnier?  I watched quite a few of the beginning episodes and became intensely bored, but I'm aware of its reputation, so I don't want to give up yet.

Yep. The first season is ropey as it was only intended to be a standalone thing. Once the creators unexpectedly got the green for a second season they expanded massively on the premise and the show became far, far better for it.

There is greatness in season 1 - "Ghosts of the Sargasso" is particularly good - but stick it out till the cliffhanger and you'll be rewarded thereafter.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 12, 2019, 12:01:56 PM
Here I am once again prodding everyone who's not already watched it to log in to Channel 4 - where it is all now FREELY AVAILABLE - and watch The Venture Bros, one of the greatest television shows ever made. Better than The Wire. Better than First Dates. Go.

Wow, didn't know about this - thanks!

madhair60

Quote from: Mobbd on May 12, 2019, 11:47:00 AM
There's a bit in The Adam and Joe Show where they're parodying The 1900 House by doing a "1980s House" or something. Adam opens the fridge to reveal a plastic egg carousel. He says, "Give is a whizz, and eggs there is."

I always thought it was "give it a whizz and mugs there is"?

AsparagusTrevor

Yeah it was, I think it was in A&J's parody of banal daytime shows 'People Place'.

Jerzy Bondov

Yes, definitely People Place, the service station episode. Joe says it. The guest on Adams podcast who liked the line was (I think) Charlie Brooker.

The bit from the 1980s House that stuck with me is Adam frantically putting milk in a soda stream because 'everything was fizzy in the eighties'

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 13, 2019, 08:07:52 PM
The bit from the 1980s House that stuck with me is Adam frantically putting milk in a soda stream because 'everything was fizzy in the eighties'

Yes! also the bit where the daughter has decided to get into heroin after reading about it in The Face, and the mum asking her 'now, are you sure this needle's dirty?'.

Povidone

Mine has to be Steve Coogan's anguished delivery of the line "because they're sick everywhere!" during the care home report in i think the 1st episode of On The Hour.

I may have posted this before.

Ornlu

Revisiting the last season of Rick & Morty brought me to the wonderfully absurd Squirrels bit - it's all great, but specifically the first "Hello, Little Boy?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_AHCm0urak

famethrowa

Quote from: Ornlu on May 16, 2019, 09:06:01 PM
Revisiting the last season of Rick & Morty brought me to the wonderfully absurd Squirrels bit - it's all great, but specifically the first "Hello, Little Boy?"

That youtube link almost says anorak

madhair60

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 13, 2019, 08:07:52 PM
Yes, definitely People Place, the service station episode. Joe says it.

Adam says it you fucking imbecile.

Jerzy Bondov

FUCK. I watched it. You're right. FUCK. Very upset about this. FUCK!!

gmoney

Quote from: Povidone on May 15, 2019, 05:35:11 PM
Mine has to be Steve Coogan's anguished delivery of the line "because they're sick everywhere!" during the care home report in i think the 1st episode of On The Hour.

I may have posted this before.

"If they're sick they should clean it up thee-selves!"

If you haven't, I have. One of my favourite bit in all of On The Hour.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ornlu on May 16, 2019, 09:06:01 PM

I've very purposefully avoided watching Rick & Morty for all of this time because it always seemed like nothing more than a meme generator.  Proper shit for cunts.  I clicked on your link as a means of validating my opinion and instead found myself laughing throughout.  I will now have to seek out all three seasons, even though my backlog of things to watch is already obscenely long.  Damn you!

chveik

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 18, 2019, 04:46:59 AM
I've very purposefully avoided watching Rick & Morty for all of this time because it always seemed like nothing more than a meme generator.  Proper shit for cunts.  I clicked on your link as a means of validating my opinion and instead found myself laughing throughout.  I will now have to seek out all three seasons, even though my backlog of things to watch is already obscenely long.  Damn you!
It's a brilliant show with some very creative ideas, but with an unfortunately obsessive and often toxic fanbase.

DoesNotFollow

Quote from: Povidone on May 15, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

I second that, it's a great little character all round.

I could also listen to David Schneider say "Leaves. Some leaves" for literally minutes on end.

kalowski

In the Walter Raleigh episode of Blackadder 2. Queenie says, "Don't crowd Sir Walter, Edmund " The little look and step back is brilliant.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 18, 2019, 04:46:59 AM

It's really good.

Jockice

Quote from: kalowski on May 18, 2019, 08:47:55 PM
In the Walter Raleigh episode of Blackadder 2. Queenie says, "Don't crowd Sir Walter, Edmund " The little look and step back is brilliant.

Every moment in that series with Queenie in it is brilliant. Especially 'who's queen?' and 'snap!'

buttgammon

Quote from: Fishboxen on May 19, 2019, 12:31:09 AM
Abolsutely any mention of Bob Sacamano

Yes - especially Kramer's story about how after having his tonsils out, he just sits in a rocking chair all day saying "my name is Bob" in a really high-pitched voice. One of my favourite unseen characters ever, and clearly the inspiration for Father Bigley.

samadriel

Quote from: buttgammon on May 19, 2019, 09:16:37 AM
Yes - especially Kramer's story about how after having his tonsils out, he just sits in a rocking chair all day saying "my name is Bob" in a really high-pitched voice. One of my favourite unseen characters ever, and clearly the inspiration for Father Bigley.

My favourite's when Jerry, living in Kramer's apartment, befriends Bob and tells Elaine about the nutria fur hats he sells in Central Park.  Lovely performance by Jerry.

Bennett Brauer

Bilko. The reaction of the platoon when Colonel Hall intoduces The Twitch's lecture on Beethoven with "Good evening, music lovers".  Especially Fender and Fleischman in the front row.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLtxGNSSMOw#t=22m10s

Sebastian Cobb

When Larry introduces Leon to Suzi mid-bollocking:
'tell you one thing, I like a woman with a smart-ass mouth like that'
'yeah, well fuck you too'
'mmph'

Cuellar

Paul Baron talking about his Erotic Night and saying "the centrepiece to my erotic mayhem"

"mayhem"

Ornlu

Bob Odenkirk's character on the Shark Kitchen sketch from W/Bob and David, describing the supposedly-enhanced other four senses of Mary Lynn Rajskub's deaf contestant as 'goosed' (a few seconds into the 2nd video).

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ar4r2HuU5s
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9d1HQlhzMw