Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:37:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Extremely small moments in comedy that make you laugh way more than intended

Started by Tikwid, May 01, 2018, 01:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

In Alfresco, when Hugh Laurie says, "You can prove anything with facts"

kalowski

Even now, probably 30 years on, I still smile at the thought of Stavros calling his wife, "Her inside the doors".

Bennett Brauer

Talking of Enfield: when he's about go into Café Polski to talk to the lovely Laura Solon, his nervous and ineffectual attempt to disguise his bald patch, followed by a fleeting grimace of self-hatred: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv1VTZ4by7E#t=15m45s

Blue Jam

The Thick Of It. Any time Malcolm bursts into DoSAC and kicks off at someone and Glenn just responds with "Morning, Malcolm".

Futurama: "Good news everyone!" Every single time...

EBGB

Why Bother?
"Whatever they're called, those big things with horns."
"Bishops."

One word should not make me laugh so hard.

Twed

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on May 30, 2019, 01:57:58 AM
Talking of Enfield: when he's about go into Café Polski to talk to the lovely Laura Solon, his nervous and ineffectual attempt to disguise his bald patch, followed by a fleeting grimace of self-hatred: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv1VTZ4by7E#t=15m45s
Does this ever resolve into a bitter twist or do they let him have the happy ending?

sponk

Quote from: EBGB on July 14, 2019, 05:31:14 PM
Why Bother?
"Whatever they're called, those big things with horns."
"Bishops."

One word should not make me laugh so hard.

Possibly the most a single word has ever made me laugh was the last one in Derek and Clive's Parking Offense. Won't say what it was in case anyone hasn't listened to it.

There are some great little physicial moments by Tucker in TTOI. When the taxi drivers away as he's fleeing the press and shouts "GEETTT THE FUCCKK BACK HERREE!" he does a silly face which makes me lol thinking about it. Also when Nicola locks herself in the bathroom and he bangs on shouting "WILLLLLMMMAAA!" the motion of his hands knocking really kills me.

kalowski

The line "I'm just as god made me, sir", And the character is called Tucker "Smitty" Brown, which also makes me laugh way more than intended.

McChesney Duntz

Speaking of Tap, I just watched it for the umpteen-and-a-halfth time the other night, and noticed this little gem of physical comedy for the first time:

https://youtu.be/-qWbaZOksP4?t=95

...though it may not have been fully intended as a gag, since Reiner said he was highly uncomfortable on camera all throughout the filming, which seems odd for a guy who spent years on one of the biggest sitcoms of the 70s. This was his first feature, though - maybe it was being a director while playing one on-screen that made him nervous. Anyway, I love that there's still fresh laughter to be mined from this 35-year-old thing...

famethrowa

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on July 14, 2019, 09:58:59 PM
Speaking of Tap, I just watched it for the umpteen-and-a-halfth time the other night, and noticed this little gem of physical comedy for the first time:

Great stuff and sets the awkward tone straight away.

I just wonder, at the time it came out, would many American viewers have gone "hey its him out of Archie Bunker", or "hey it's him out of Laverne & Shirley" etc? I'd barely seen those shows and part of the Tap joy is that they could be real people...

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: famethrowa on July 15, 2019, 03:28:10 PM
I just wonder, at the time it came out, would many American viewers have gone "hey its him out of Archie Bunker", or "hey it's him out of Laverne & Shirley" etc? I'd barely seen those shows and part of the Tap joy is that they could be real people...

I can speak to that from experience - when I tried to interest my 14-year-old peers in Tap in the year of its release, I got little besides "Hey, it's Lenny from Laverne & Shirley!" (Rob Reiner didn't appear in too much of the promotional materials that were seen at the time, and he already looked a fair bit different than he did on All in the Family, which he'd been off of for six years already at that point, so I don't think it came up much with my school chums.) It irritated me a bit, as the already-devout comedy geek I was - I was all "yes, yes, but there's Harry Shearer from that one year of SNL and Christopher Guest from those National Lampoon albums my dad has that I have to sneak out to listen to while he's at work!" I'm sure I was a delight to deal with.

Bad Ambassador

Super Hans (reading a puzzle book): "I have a bed but do not sleep, I have a mouth but do not speak."
Mark: It's a river.
Super Hans (looking at answer page): Nicholas Lyndhurst.

QDRPHNC

Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Frylock is about to reanimate a corpse whose body he has reconstructed entirely out of eyeballs.

Master Shake : Well, look. I mean, is he gonna be able to chase us? Cause if I woke up lookin' like that, I would just run towards the nearest living thing and kill it.

willy crossit

the mulligan and o'hare song where they're singing the rock and roll tribute

"i like rock and roll music, i like elvis flamin' presley, i like duane bleedin' eddy, and that other cunt bill haley"

willy crossit

(might not strictly be cunt as it's censored but i always assumed it was)

DrGreggles

My shuffling laptop just randomly spewed out a 6 Music Adam & Joe show from 2007.
When they'd play the Text the Nation jingle, every week I'd laugh at the "what if I don't want to" bit.

Ornlu

You can hardly call any of its broad sledgehammering a 'small moment' but there was a bit in one of the early Big Bang Theory episodes that tickled me - when someone else says they didn't know the group ate at a particular burger joint, and Sheldon butts in with "We don't. This is a disturbing aberration"

Absorb the anus burn

Norbert Smith:

"... London, London I'm  singing your song because London's the town where I belong..."

The line: "... I'm eating blueberry flapjacks to tell you I'm back, Jack..." always makes me want to pop out a jet of laughterwee.

sponk

Also Norbert Smith

The way Enfield moves his hand as he turns to the camera during the war time propaganda sketches.

kalowski

On Matching Tie and Handkerchief, the Oscar Wilde sketch. When Wilde says his first witty line everyone laughs for ages. The different laughs they do are just wonderful.

madhair60

Vic: "Look at you, y'look 'alf dead with biscuits around yer mouth"

Bob (Slightly defensive): "I had just been eating biscuits, yeah"

EBGB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5p2XAGE8R8

(I know it's small rather than extremely small, but I just remembered it for the first time in ages.)

NoSleep

"I vill mess with time."

Also "Crocubot; half cold unfeeling reptile, half... also cold... equally unfeeling machine."

kalowski

The Peter Sissons RIP thread just reminded me of this:

"If you asked me to name three geniuses I wouldn't say Newton, Einstein... y'know, I'd say Milligan, Cleese, Everett... Sessions."
The pause after Einstein is brilliant. A tiny head wiggle before the "y'know" is just brilliant comedy.

iamcoop

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 03, 2019, 10:51:03 PM
My shuffling laptop just randomly spewed out a 6 Music Adam & Joe show from 2007.
When they'd play the Text the Nation jingle, every week I'd laugh at the "what if I don't want to" bit.

The show where Adam plays that jingle to Joe (and us) for the first time is great. Some of my favourite bits of radio ever are when they make each other collapse into hysterics.

Twed

Quote from: EBGB on September 04, 2019, 09:06:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5p2XAGE8R8

(I know it's small rather than extremely small, but I just remembered it for the first time in ages.)
Reminds me of Alan Partridge giving a tip to the builder, and saying "I panicked" when asked why.

kalowski

This bit in The Office can make me smile whenever I think of it (like right now!)
"Nice jacket"
"Whatever"
"Looks a bit like mine"
"What make's yours?"
"Armani. And yours?"
"Sergio Georgini"

ColinPopshed

Quote from: madhair60 on September 04, 2019, 08:53:41 AM
Vic: "Look at you, y'look 'alf dead with biscuits around yer mouth"

Bob (Slightly defensive): "I had just been eating biscuits, yeah"

My sister and I still quote this regularly to this day.