Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:58:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Extremely small moments in comedy that make you laugh way more than intended

Started by Tikwid, May 01, 2018, 01:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Cuellar on January 29, 2020, 07:34:29 PM
Is that before or after she plays Blanche in A Streetcar Named Desire? Dunno if that would make a difference but it was the first thing that came to mind.
It's after. Good callback if that's the reason.

11 O'Clock Show Series 2 Episode 10: Tommy Vance saying "From a high man broken to a broken hymen". Here from 1:18:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqgDOmEUJSk

Pinochet also looks like an older Prince Charles.

Gimme Gimme Gimme: Linda "babysits" a doll for Jez and Suze:

"Linda loves ya. Now don't explode." (slaps doll) "Bitch!"

ToneLa

When Frasier is hassling the focus group newspaper stand owner

Niles: Oh, my God.  Frasier set his newsstand on fire.
Martin (face down, resting): Mmm-hmm.

-------

Niles : Maris is reading "Slow Tango In South Seattle." I think it's put thoughts in her head. This morning I found her cooing over the college student who skims the koi pond.
Martin : I wouldn't concern myself.
Niles : Do you think it's just innocent flirting?
Martin : No, I just wouldn't concern myself.

DrGreggles

QDRPHNC

The bit in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure where they lure Genghis Khan with a Twinkie.

Ferris

Simon Jones' delivery of "mostly harmless?!" in the hitchhikers guide radio series.

I still think of it whenever someone says something is "mostly" XYZ.

Marner and Me

Mark Corrigans face in Peep Show where Jez tells him it's all ancient history now.

magval

Bet I've put this on here before, but if not, Eric Idle's pronunciation of 'poin-ted sticks' in the self defense sketch in Flying Circus.

Even better, but, is the vox pop of Jones in drag saying "but then, I'm a bit mental".

kalowski

Quote from: magval on March 18, 2020, 06:48:18 PM
Bet I've put this on here before, but if not, Eric Idle's pronunciation of 'poin-ted sticks' in the self defense sketch in Flying Circus.

Even better, but, is the vox pop of Jones in drag saying "but then, I'm a bit mental".
Ha. For me it's the vox pop "I would tax Raquel Welch. I've a feeling she would tax me."

petril

Quote from: magval on March 18, 2020, 06:48:18 PM

aye, same here. I try to always pronounce poinTED like that in tribute

NoSleep

I'd say "poin-TED stick" is not an extremely small moment that made you laugh way more than intended; it's central to the sketch.

kalowski

In Police Squad during the scene where Drebbin becomes the stand up comedian I love the moment where he goes up to the bald guy and says, "Where are you from? Baldimore?"

famethrowa

Quote from: kalowski on March 25, 2020, 09:16:17 PM
In Police Squad during the scene where Drebbin becomes the stand up comedian I love the moment where he goes up to the bald guy and says, "Where are you from? Baldimore?"

That's one of the best scenes ever! The hysterical audience reactions.... "Delilah - hat gut gemacht!"

What's your name?
Dewonderful, Tony Dewonderful.

"Is that your wife beside you or you just throw up on the seat?" Cue hysterical laughter from husband.

The series five finale of 'Allo 'Allo. Gruber's hiding behind a menu in the café dressed in Helga's clothes and her spare wig, for Reasons. The general, the colonel and Captain Bertorelli briefly mistake him for a woman, then the colonel recognises him and exclaims "It's Gruber!"

...and Gruber flips the menu shut with this fantastic "oh for fuck's sake" eye-roll. It's the best face Guy Siner makes in the entire series.

magval

Quote from: NoSleep on March 19, 2020, 10:24:24 AM
I'd say "poin-TED stick" is not an extremely small moment that made you laugh way more than intended; it's central to the sketch.

The sketch is about the ridiculous conceit that there should exist self defence measures for being attacked by types of fruit.

The pronunciation of the word "pointed", while central to your enjoyment of the sketch, is a small detail. It is not central to anything.

Let's not play semantics with the wording of the thread title, as we'll never know what writers' intentions are concerning such small details, and it's only there to get the punters in the door.

Ferris

The pause and facial expressions while machinating an explanation (suitable for puritans) as to why a large man has entered the room, vomited, and yelled "great booze up, Edmund!" before immediately leaving.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yO4nStCQkCg

I don't know why, but it absolutely slays me.

Dewt

Saddened by that great piece of comedy being spammed online by the BBC with the caption "how NOT to behave at a family dinner" just so you share it on Facebook.

idunnosomename

Quote from: NoSleep on March 19, 2020, 10:24:24 AM
why the fuck is he welsh though???!! it wouldnt be anywhere near as funny if he wasnt welsh

NoSleep

Whatever; he repeats it over and over; it isn't an extremely small moment. I guess he's Welsh because it sounds more emphatic (on top of being repeated).

idunnosomename

it really is funny how john cleese's character is so concerned about being attacked with fruit! which would be harmless actually! haha!

NoSleep

famethrowa

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 31, 2020, 01:43:44 AM
The pause and facial expressions while machinating an explanation (suitable for puritans) as to why a large man has entered the room, vomited, and yelled "great booze up, Edmund!" before immediately leaving.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yO4nStCQkCg

I don't know why, but it absolutely slays me.

It's that little satisfied slide into "yes I can" as all the thoughts collapse into place. Very good indeed

magval

Quote from: NoSleep on March 31, 2020, 07:09:05 PM
Whatever; he repeats it over and over; it isn't an extremely small moment. I guess he's Welsh because it sounds more emphatic (on top of being repeated).

It's not an extremely small moment - I read it more like a small choice, if that makes sense. If anything, it's a small moment with a massive impact (keep digging Magval...).

Does anyone have the scripts, I'm sure they've been published? How's it written there? Is the pronunciation clearly part of the script?

neveragain

According to the link below, which I believe was taken from the published scripts, Idle's character is marked out as Welsh but 'pointed' is just written normally. However my personal theory is the Welshness was added in at rehearsal.

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/fruit.php

SpiderChrist

Bob Mortimer interviewing Vic Reeves on Chain Reaction. The way Vic says "When I was FORENSIC!"

jsgibble

Quote from: Marner and Me on March 18, 2020, 01:31:20 PM
Mark Corrigans face in Peep Show where Jez tells him it's all ancient history now.

"He probably wouldn't like that joke" is good preempting it but the reaction really sells it

"Tom Spotley? When?" from the opening credits of one of the episodes from the second series of I'm Alan Partridge (I think). I just love it because from those three words and the perfect delivery, you know exactly what's happened. Mr Coogan's work is full of these little gems.