Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:23:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Videogames Podacsts

Started by gmoney, May 01, 2018, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmoney

Any decent ones out there? I was a big fan of Videogamer a few years ago. They had a really good, varied crew for a while but they all left at various points now it just seems to be two slightly dull people left.

Kelvin

Kindafunny Games Daily is good. Five shows a week, fairly thorough analysis of each day's major new's stories, then a bunch of more general listener questions. Hosts cycle, too, so it's not the same opinions and voices every time. Biggest problem is that Greg Miller's one of the hosts, and a lot of people can't stand him. He's fine once he gets past his bombastic opening speil each show, though.

Johnny Textface

Irregular sister podcast my fave film podcast Filmjunk:

http://www.gamejunkpodcast.com/

They all used to work for Silicon Knights and one of the regulars is currently involved in releasing games (recently on Switch I believe) - "Embers of Mirrim"
You get interesting insights into things like 'day one patches', 'reward boxes' and 'multi-platform releases'.

They're pretty laid back and easy going - obviously old friends - so the running time can get pretty long.

Good starter might be http://www.gamejunkpodcast.com/2015/12/game-junk-podcast-episode-27-star-wars.html as it features Jay off of Filmjunk.

St_Eddie

If like me, you thoroughly enjoy retro gaming, then I can heartily recommend Retronauts.

Ham Bap

Was a big fan of Videogamer myself but yeah it's shit (IMO) now.

I've started listening to The Computer Game Show. It's worth a listen, they argue a lot amongst themselves which adds to it.

Listen to the first half an hour from episode 99:Edited - April 11th and you'll see what I mean.

I listen to God is a Geek now and then and it's ok too.

Kelvin

The Game Informer Podcast is good, too, actually. Probably the funniest gaming podcast I listen too, surprisingly. Excellent chemistry, and a nice irreverent sense of humour.

Rolf Lundgren

I dip into The Completely Unnecessary Podcast by Pat the NES Punk and his mate Ian which is more retro gaming than modern. Actually it's more NES gaming than retro gaming. Actually it's more the two of them moaning about game sellers on eBay and customers who annoy Ian at the retro gaming shop he works in.

asids

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on May 01, 2018, 11:51:13 PM
I dip into The Completely Unnecessary Podcast by Pat the NES Punk and his mate Ian which is more retro gaming than modern. Actually it's more NES gaming than retro gaming. Actually it's more the two of them moaning about game sellers on eBay and customers who annoy Ian at the retro gaming shop he works in.

I often watch the little video clips they put up from the podcast on YouTube, usually it's fairly entertaining.

Thanks for the Retronauts suggestion St_Eddie, I'll check them out.

Obel

I've only found one video game podcast ever worth listening to, Cane and Rinse. Just the right level of nerdery and interesting chat.

https://caneandrinse.com/

I suspect of significant interest to people here will be:

The Retro Asylum
The Retro Hour

They're both very UK and the presenters are how I picture many people in this thread and subforum. Lots of computer-related chat and Amiga/Spectrum/BBC Micro kinda reminiscences and interviews with the Oliver twins or Jon Hare or Mr Biffo or Jeff Minter. An Acorn Archimedes round up. Castle Quest vs Repton 3. The Last Ninja series on the C64. The history of Ocean software. Kinda Kim Justice but three Northern blokes. You know what I mean.

Talasour

Rooster Teeth and Off Topic podcast?

TIAL

I know they might seem like obvious choices but Giant Bomb's output (Giant Bombcast & Giant Beastcast) are my only unmissable games podcasts. Both great once you get to know all the different personalities.

St_Eddie

Quote from: TIAL on May 20, 2018, 10:50:51 PM
I know they might seem like obvious choices but Giant Bomb's output (Giant Bombcast & Giant Beastcast) are my only unmissable games podcasts. Both great once you get to know all the different personalities.

They're alright, I suppose.  It's just that they're a bit too giant and a bit too bomby for me, ya know?