Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:26:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I Bloody Love This Band, But I HATE This Song

Started by DrGreggles, May 01, 2018, 11:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

that song they did with Johnny Cash was bloody great

itsfredtitmus

I liked some songs from the free iPhone album too tbh

the ouch cube

I know virtually every word, beat and melody of the Pet Shop Boys' 'Actually', having grown up with both my parents listening to it since I was an infant, but fuck me, 'Hit Music' is a clodhopping dirge. Makes 'Rock The Casbah' sound like Mahler.

Jockice

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 03, 2018, 12:52:00 AM
Zooropa

As I've mentioned many times before, the only U2 album  I actually like.

Gregory Torso

In the 1990s Yo La Tengo released three of the finest records you'll ever hear, a great run, "Painful", "Electro-pura" and "I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One". My personal favourite is Electro-pura, utterly swooning gorgeous perfect guitar music EXCEPT for a horrible piece of SHIT called "Attack On Love" which comes spunking and giggling and acting like a prick ruining the mood of the whole record, and right before the album's most crowning pinnacle of sweetheart tearstruck cloudy rock, the beautiful "Blue Line Swinger". It's like someone's idiot brother bursting in when you're in the middle of finally getting it on with that gorgeous girl from the record shop. Made worse by hearing "Up To You" (an outtake that appears on Genius + Love) which is fucking lush and would've been perfect.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 02, 2018, 10:05:46 AM
Ween. Greatest band who ever lived, but Candi is a fucking abomination. Even Deaner has disowned it.

La Cucaracha has some bad songs which are excusable as it's their last recorded album and they were obviously petering out, but Chocolate & Cheese is their breakthrough album and there's otherwise not a single bad song on it. Sandwiched between the dreamy Joppa Road and the epic tale of Buenas Tardes Amigo, it really takes a steaming shit on the flawless run of the end of the album.

What's interesting is the much more crass and stupid HIV Song comes right after Buenas Tardes Amigo, yet that doesn't feel out of place at all - in fact, it's perfect... but Candi can fuck off.

Also, agree with this 100%.

Sebastian Cobb

Don't really like Don't You Forget About Me but quite like Simple Minds. Sorry if this is considered heresy.

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 05, 2018, 04:40:41 PM
Don't really like Don't You Forget About Me but quite like Simple Minds. Sorry if this is considered heresy.

It's Belfast Child I hate. What a piece of shite.

Glebe

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 05, 2018, 04:40:41 PMDon't really like Don't You Forget About Me but quite like Simple Minds. Sorry if this is considered heresy.

They didn't actually write it...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jockice on May 05, 2018, 04:49:09 PM
It's Belfast Child I hate. What a piece of shite.

Aye, fair enough I'm not a fan of that either, but dyfam I actively dislike.

Lemming

Flogging a dead horse, but fuck Shiny Happy People by R.E.M. It's fucking terrible. Shitty Crappy People more like. Awful.

Reading this thread is alienating, because Blue Monday is my favourite New Order song and one of my favourite songs ever (especially the 1988 version), Don't You Want Me is my favourite Human League song by a pretty wide margin, and Seven Nation Army is the only White Stripes song I like. The only suggestion so far I strongly agree on is Just Can't Get Enough, it's total shit, although I still listen to it every time it comes on.

Quote from: Morrison Lard on May 03, 2018, 12:51:07 AM
Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough

It was New Life, for me.  I liked JCGE, but only moderately, then really liked all of the singles afterwards.

Jockice

Quote from: Lemming on May 05, 2018, 11:12:13 PM
Flogging a dead horse, but fuck Shiny Happy People by R.E.M. It's fucking terrible. Shitty Crappy People more like. Awful.

The worst single ever released by anyone ever. That's all.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Jockice on May 06, 2018, 09:33:03 AM
The worst single ever released by anyone ever. That's all.

Chris de Burgh says hello.

Crabwalk

Shiny Happy People is absolutely fine. The lyrics aren't supposed to be taken at face value, Peter Buck's lead riff is great and it's got Kate Pierson on it.

If we're looking for duffers from Out of Time, 'Radio Song' is a far worse offender.

non capisco

Agreed, 'Radio Song' is an appalling offence to the lugholes. "When I got to the show, yo ho ho", indeed. And they open the album with that thing. 'Shiny Happy People' isn't even the worst deliberately frivolous late 80s/early 90s REM song, I find 'Stand' much more irritating. And all of them seem like bloody 'Perfect Circle' compared to the cataclysmic horror that is late period REM's 'I'm Gonna DJ'.

DrGreggles

I like Radio Song, but it does seem a bit out of place on Out Of Time.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on May 02, 2018, 07:39:41 PM
I adore XTC and I'm an unshakeable atheist but 'Dear God' is utter tod. 'Dear Tod'.

They chucked 'Mermaid Smiled' off Skylarking at one point for that sixth form rubbish. Jeez-oh.

I wish I could have written lyrics like that when I was in the sixth form. I've always loved Dear God because it led the band out of the last chance saloon at this point in their career.

My worse XTC number has to be 'Wounded Horse' off Wasp Star. Never got on with the anguished bluesyness.

kalowski

Spiteface

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 02, 2018, 09:55:17 AM
There's one or two Manics songs that fit the bill.

Together Stronger (C'mon Wales) for me.

There's some cool JDB lead stuff in the intro, but it's a football song. They're always irredeemably shit. In parts you can tell they probably wanted to redo their cover of Can't My Eyes Off You but couldn't for some reason. Thankfully I've only been subjected to it live once (Swansea Liberty Stadium on the Everything Must Go anniversary tour, although the 2nd half of the gig also included Natwest-Barclays-Midlands-Lloyds so it kind of balances out a bit)

Jockice

Wouldn't go as far as saying I hate it but I always thought West End Girls by the Pet Shop Boys was pretty crap.

I've always thought they were like OMD in that their singles were either brilliant or shit.

Quote from: Jockice on May 07, 2018, 04:18:47 PM
Wouldn't go as far as saying I hate it but I always thought West End Girls by the Pet Shop Boys was pretty crap.

I've always thought they were like OMD in that their singles were either brilliant or shit.

The only one of theirs I really rate in retrospect is Love Comes Quickly, but I REALLY rate that one.

smudge1971

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 06, 2018, 09:47:11 AM
Shiny Happy People is absolutely fine. The lyrics aren't supposed to be taken at face value, Peter Buck's lead riff is great and it's got Kate Pierson on it.

If we're looking for duffers from Out of Time, 'Radio Song' is a far worse offender.
My main problem with SHP is that it makes Kate P look like a slightly less annoying, but unadvisedly fuelled by both HRT and Lambrusco, Tina Turner. That is, an ageing woman at 10pm at her great-nephew's Christening.

Jockice

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 06, 2018, 09:47:11 AM

I can't bear watching the video, but one member of the band looks like he wants to kill everyone involved with it and then the rest of the human race. And I can't say I blame him.

'Dance Away' by Roxy Music. It's just bottom of the barrel pap. It sounds like the end credits music for a terrible 1980's American teen movie where the main character buys a yacht at the end.

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 07, 2018, 06:54:31 PM
'Dance Away' by Roxy Music. It's just bottom of the barrel pap. It sounds like the end credits music for a terrible 1980's American teen movie where the main character buys a yacht at the end.

Sacrilege!  That's a classic!  The only Roxy song I've ever heard that I'd call mediocre was Angel Eyes, though perhaps I'd rate it higher if there hadn't been a much better song of that name by Abba in the charts at about the same time.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The Monkees are one of my favourite bands, but the factory-engineered nature of their first two albums inevitably resulted in them churning out some awful rubbish. Those gloopy Davy ballads are so horrid, there's no point singling them out; they're objectively crap, everyone agrees on that point.

However, I've never understood why the Tork-sung Your Auntie Grizelda often crops up on Monkees best-of compilations, it's a punishingly dreadful ear-sore. Tork felt the same way, he hated it, hence all the stupid noises he slathered all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odijrMX1ViA

It's supposed to be a harmless novelty number - a fun Ringo tune - but it's actually the painful sound of a talented young musician dying inside as he's forced to record a noxious blast of barrel-scraping garbage.

billyandthecloneasaurus

I really love Shiny Happy People and never really understood why people hate it so much.  Genuinely, like, plenty of songs I love that I can at least understand why you'd dislike it but to me it's just lovely jangly bubblegummy pop right?  I like it in the same way I like Ask by the Smiths.  It just sounds like summer to me.