Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:07:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I Bloody Love This Band, But I HATE This Song

Started by DrGreggles, May 01, 2018, 11:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

I like Losing My Religion, AND Shiny Happy People, AND Stand, AND most of Radio Song. That KRS-ONE bit hasn't aged well though, if it ever sounded acceptable. I think it is a pisstake of commercial rap and the then-new concept of having a rap halfway through a pop song, but that doesn't really make it sound any less risible

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 09, 2018, 01:44:17 AM
not really bothered with Madness' "straight" "ska" songs like night boat to cairo and one step beyond i may as well be listening to lip up fatty

And what would be wrong with that? Lip Up Fatty is great.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 10, 2018, 12:13:03 AM

I was going to say exactly the same earlier. But I forgot.

Nowhere Man

Shiny Happy People is shimmering power pop, and purposefully irratingly catchy, either way there are far worse pop songs from that era of music alone! Dunno why it has to come up in every single 'songs you dislike' thread.

Prince didn't have a truly naff hit that I can think of until 'The Arms of Orion' from the Batman soundtrack. It makes 'Batdance' look like 'I Would Die 4 U' in comparison!

non capisco

Quote from: Nowhere Man on May 10, 2018, 01:08:59 AM
Prince didn't have a truly naff hit that I can think of until 'The Arms of Orion' from the Batman soundtrack. It makes 'Batdance' look like 'I Would Die 4 U' in comparison!

'Batdance' and 'Partyman' are both quite naff though. That whole project was such a huge drop-off from all his other 80s albums. It was, however, the first Prince album I bought. And I still like 'Vicki Waiting', a real diamond in the rough.

EDIT: I'm listening to 'Batdance' now, it's actually quite funny. Tim Burton commissions Prince to do a cutting edge soundtrack to his new turn of the decade vision of Batman and the main single has Prince going "BAT-MAAAAAAAAAAAN!" all over it like the 60s one.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: non capisco on May 10, 2018, 01:23:03 AM
'Batdance' and 'Partyman' are both quite naff though. That whole project was such a huge drop-off from all his other 80s albums. It was, however, the first Prince album I bought. And I still like 'Vicki Waiting', a real diamond in the rough.

EDIT: I'm listening to 'Batdance' now, it's actually quite funny. Tim Burton commissions Prince to do a cutting edge soundtrack to his new turn of the decade vision of Batman and the main single has Prince going "BAT-MAAAAAAAAAAAN!" all over it like the 60s one.

What those first two singles have going for them though (especially 'Batdance') is that they're just ber-luddy mental. Prince being demented is always preferable to some of the overly sappy stuff he was doing for a lot of the 90s (Gold Experience not included)

I think the biggest problem is that with such a high profile movie attached to his newest release people were expecting another Purple Rain or 1999 type album. I don't think even Prince put that much thought into it. So yeah in a way I think he was just having a laugh at WB's expense! I bet he even smirked after it became a No. 1 hit!

I still maintain 'Electric Chair' was the best track on the Batman soundtrack. Plus the B-Side of 'Batdance', '200 Balloons' is better than a lot of the album anyway.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 10, 2018, 12:13:03 AM
nothing, really. but when im listening to madness i want driving in my car, house of fun or tomorrow's just another day not 80s Two-Tone

holyzombiejesus

What kind of cunt wants to listen to Driving In My fucking Car?

Brundle-Fly

Cunts like me and Fred?

Given, I wouldn't necessarily choose to kick back with a Martini at the weekend and listen to the greatest hits of Madness because the records are so familiar that they're ingrained in my lug 'oles

I'll always smile if it was to come on the radio though which is likely as hearing Viking plainsong these days. It was their attempt at  'Bike' by Pink Floyd, apparently. No chorus either.

Nowhere Man

Off topic but any excuse to say that despite popular opinion being that 'Our House' and 'It Must Be Love are their best, 'The Sun and The Rain' is even better. It was Serge's favourite Madness song too.

But anyway, worst Madness single would be that cover of 'Shame and Scandal' they did in 2005. 'Driving In My Car' isn't brilliant, but it's got a fun little video and can bring a smile if you hear it every once in a while.

Jockice

One Better Day is their best.

On the subject of the thread, for a long time I thought Embarrassment was crap. I even remember telling a mate that it would end their career. A few years earlier I predicted the same for Abba to another friend when they released Summer Night City. How right I was in both cases eh?

Quote from: non capisco on May 10, 2018, 01:23:03 AM
I'm listening to 'Batdance' now, it's actually quite funny. Tim Burton commissions Prince to do a cutting edge soundtrack to his new turn of the decade vision of Batman and the main single has Prince going "BAT-MAAAAAAAAAAAN!" all over it like the 60s one.

The main thing I liked about that was a girl in the video, with big boobs, and a t-shirt saying ALL THIS-AND BRAINS TOO!

Brundle-Fly

This takes some beating as being my least favourite Madness single. Thank God, they pulled themselves together for Norton Folgate eighteen months later.

The quietly forgotten Sorry single from 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJG5klbXpcI

Brundle-Fly

I bloody loved Batdance at the time because I don't think I'd heard anything like it before and we were all extremely excited about the new Batman (1989) movie.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Nowhere Man on May 10, 2018, 04:16:12 PM
Off topic but any excuse to say that despite popular opinion being that 'Our House' and 'It Must Be Love are their best, 'The Sun and The Rain' is even better. It was Serge's favourite Madness song too.

But anyway, worst Madness single would be that cover of 'Shame and Scandal' they did in 2005. 'Driving In My Car' isn't brilliant, but it's got a fun little video and can bring a smile if you hear it every once in a while.
driving in my car is their absolute best, their fairground ska at its peak

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 10, 2018, 04:55:32 PM
This takes some beating as being my least favourite Madness single. Thank God, they pulled themselves together for Norton Folgate eighteen months later.

The quietly forgotten Sorry single from 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJG5klbXpcI
Was on Fifa 07 that had that phone too that's product placed (K800i)

itsfredtitmus

decent personal BEST madness songs:

driving in my car
tomorrow's just another day
baggy trousers
our house
calling cards
primrose hill
sunday morning
march of the gherkins
sun and the rain
house of fun
michael caine
one better day
shut up
the bridge on in the city
the bridge on grey day
honda, honda, honda, honda
colgate blue minty gel (you'll love it)
white heat
waltz into mischief

Dr Syntax Head

If we're talking ska then The Specials are really the only band I really like

itsfredtitmus

i know its a favourite but frozen by madonna is pants
power of goodbye on the other hand... all-timer

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 10, 2018, 06:44:22 PM
i know its a favourite but frozen by madonna is pants
power of goodbye on the other hand... all-timer

Heard Don't tell me the other day and that is a lovely song.