Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:50:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Started by samadriel, May 02, 2018, 07:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

After two beauties with Black Panther and Infinity War, Marvel give us a pretty annoying trailer for Ant-Man and the Wasp.
https://youtu.be/UUkn-enk2RU
Ant-Man was no-one's favourite Marvel movie, so it's not a big loss if this one bites. Whatever. I'll watch it and find out.

colacentral

Ant-Man was one of my favourite Marvel films, though I'd consider all of the 2017 films and the Captain America sequels to be above it now. On the other hand, apart from a good villain, I found Black Panther to be mediocre. It's easily the weakest of the Phase 3 films for me.

This new trailer looks good, except for it having a particularly bad case of trailer-specific dubbing. That "Why would I go low?" line doesn't match the scene at all, it's awful.

Fambo Number Mive

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: samadriel on May 02, 2018, 07:06:48 AM

Ant-Man was no-one's favourite Marvel movie,

I have to say after the Guardians movies, Ant-Man is a big favourite of mine because it was so implausible and it knew it, but then I'm not hugely into superhero films.

Replies From View

I actually thought Ant-Man was a joke when people were talking about it, not an actual film.

Ha.  So he can lift things several times his own weight?  Anything else?

Oops! Wrong Planet

I wonder if that vicious jasper will make someone drop their dandelion and burdock.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Replies From View on May 02, 2018, 05:13:41 PM
I actually thought Ant-Man was a joke when people were talking about it, not an actual film.

He can communicate with ants.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

So he's less powerful than Doctor Doolittle?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 02, 2018, 10:12:31 PM
He can communicate with ants.

Sure, but can he communicate with an ant farm keyboard?

biggytitbo

Wasps can be well annoying.

Shaky

Quote from: Replies From View on May 02, 2018, 05:13:41 PM

To be fair, that's a key power of many, many superheroes.

Dr Rock

If you saw the first film you'll see how his various  abilities are more useful than you might think. Plus as in Captain America: Civil War you see he can turn into a giant (Giant-Man in the comics) able to throw planes around.

His real power is to ignore the laws of physics whenever it's convenient - including any that were previously established in the film.

biggytitbo

Does he have the power of continually fluctuating scale like in all films where someone gets bigger or smaller?

Dr Rock

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 03, 2018, 01:21:20 PM
Does he have the power of continually fluctuating scale like in all films where someone gets bigger or smaller?

At the moment he can only get big for a limited time.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 03, 2018, 01:17:11 PM
His real power is to ignore the laws of physics whenever it's convenient - including any that were previously established in the film.

Indeed.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 03, 2018, 01:30:20 PM
At the moment he can only get big for a limited time.

Same here.

biggytitbo

The king of inconsistently sized wrong sized things is Clifford the 'massive red dog', who can't decide how big he is from one moment to the next -

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,41265.msg2185251.html#msg2185251

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 03, 2018, 01:31:20 PM

Same here.

And here. But I can go small for very long periods.

Gregory Torso

I liked the bit in the first film where a cgi ant "took a bullet" and anyone was supposed to give a fuck.

The first one really sums up everything that people tend to complain about with the MCU. There's a bland villain (or "ant-agonist", if you will). It's not really about anything (other than the generic theme of fatherhood, which makes me wonder if Kevin Feige has some daddy issues). Aside from a tone deaf joke about police brutality, it's not actively offensive like Transformers, but it's just kind of disposable fluff. The kind of film that would cast Judy Greer as a nagging ex-wife.

I'll undoubtedly see the new one, since Paul Rudd's twinkly charms are damn well irresistable and it'll almost certainly be good fun. I don't expect it to be anything more than that though.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 03, 2018, 02:28:26 PM
I'll undoubtedly see the new one, since Paul Rudd's twinkly charms are damn well irresistable and it'll almost certainly be good fun. I don't expect it to be anything more than that though.
Which is pretty much enough for me, on occasions: a few good laughs, two hours escapism, jobs a good 'un.

I did like the first one, though, like you say, Rudd has charm a plenty and I liked Michael Douglas being a grumpy auld wanker. Plus any film with a Cure pun (of sorts) is always alright with me.

Mister Six

Quote from: Gregory Torso on May 03, 2018, 01:45:14 PM
I liked the bit in the first film where a cgi ant "took a bullet" and anyone was supposed to give a fuck.

I thought that was a parody of that kind of thing in films. Or at least originally written as such.

Claude's right about it being the most generic Marvel movie, and with Guardians and Thor both doing overt comedy much, much, much better it's hard to see what the point of this is, other than to assuage a bit of guilt about not having any films named after female heroes.

They should have leaned on the heist thing more and plotted and shot(ted) the first film like a Soderbergh heist movie. They didn't, though, and it looks much the same on this go-around too.

I'll probably go and enjoy it enough but I'm treating it as a bit of a sorbet after Infinity War.

Dr Rock

In most Marvel films the first one has been the weakest. Don't write off Ant-Man and The Wasp because the first one was a bit formulaic. I reckon it will be a winner.

samadriel

Quote from: Mister Six on May 04, 2018, 12:38:49 AM
I thought that was a parody of that kind of thing in films. Or at least originally written as such.

Yeah, I thought it was quite funny, and they didn't dwell on it. That was a hell of an aim from the bad guy though.

I think my OP was a bit too negative, I did enjoy Ant-Man, just not as much as most Marvel films. I particularly liked Michael Douglas and Evangeline Lilly in the first one, so this should remain pleasing to mine eye.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Don't forget that the first one had a problematic production story, and they just had a few months to put it all together after Wright was fired/left.

Incidentally, Wright wanted to kill the Michael Douglas character in his script.

colacentral

Have you got a source for that? I've wanted to know the differences with Wright and Cornish's original script for ages but have never found anything on it.

MojoJojo

I haven't seen the latest one and I might be forgetting, but has his whole talking/controlling ants and other insects thing been completely forgotten about since the first film?

Dr Rock

Wan't used in Cap 3, haven't seen Infinity War - The Glovening.

phantom_power

SPOILER FOR INFINITY WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He isn't in it

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: colacentral on May 04, 2018, 01:55:10 PM
Have you got a source for that? I've wanted to know the differences with Wright and Cornish's original script for ages but have never found anything on it.

Douglas' contract with Marvel just covered one film initially.

https://screenrant.com/ant-man-sequel-michael-douglas-marvel-movies/

It strongly suggests that Pym was supposed to be a one-off, because these deals usually cover multiple appearances, even when nothing is planned at the stage the contract is signed.