Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:09:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Started by samadriel, May 02, 2018, 07:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Haha, so Ant Man doesn't have the powers of an ant scaled-up to human size?  He is ant-sized?

Why not just have an ordinary ant if you're going to do that?

ieXush2i

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Replies From View on May 05, 2018, 04:35:29 PM
Haha, so Ant Man doesn't have the powers of an ant scaled-up to human size?  He is ant-sized?

He has the strength of a Paul Rudd-sized man compacted into an ant-sized Paul-Rudd. So when he punches someone as ant-sized it proper fucking smarts like.

Mango Chimes

Paul Rudd stars as Paul Rudd-Man: the man with the power of a Paul Rudd.

Replies From View

Is it supposed to be an inconvenient for him that he turns into an ant?  Like when the boy turns into a dog in Woof?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on May 05, 2018, 05:58:06 PM
He has the strength of a Paul Rudd-sized man compacted into an ant-sized Paul-Rudd. So when he punches someone as ant-sized it proper fucking smarts like.
Don't forget he can turn into a really, really big Paul Rudd too.

ieXush2i

He easily has the best power of all the Avengers.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Replies From View on May 05, 2018, 04:35:29 PM

You could write for Cinema Sins.

Dr Rock

Stan Lee and further writers knew what they were doing with Ant-Man. Like if you watch the first film. You'd think his powers were crappy, yet they are not.

Replies From View

idunnosomename

Hello I heard this thread was the place to be for making fun of Ant-Man. I thought it was just what Dec called his stage partner.

mothman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 05, 2018, 07:52:38 PM
You could write for Cinema Sins.

Oh, come on! That's just mean and uncalled for. I thought we were all trying to be nice to each other, after a couple of recent losses. Apologise to Replies, Claude.

brat-sampson

So wait, when he's small he has his normal strength, but when he's big... he has more strength? I want to see Giant Rudd struggling and failing to lift a car with his Regular-Sized Rudy Rudd power level. Growing to 80 ft, punching someone in the face and it hurting a fair amount but not taking anyone off their feet.

mothman

It's worth mentioning that Marvel have really been kicking it in the de-aging stakes. Young Kurt Russell in GotG2, young RDJ in Civil War, youngish Michael Douglas in Ant-Man, all pretty darn good considering.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: mothman on May 07, 2018, 12:37:03 PM
It's worth mentioning that Marvel have really been kicking it in the de-aging stakes. Young Kurt Russell in GotG2, young RDJ in Civil War, youngish Michael Douglas in Ant-Man, all pretty darn good considering.
The Kurt Russell one in particular was very convincing.

phantom_power

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on May 07, 2018, 01:30:29 PM
The Kurt Russell one in particular was very convincing.

Didn't they say that was mostly done with practical make-up effects?

Replies From View

Quote from: phantom_power on May 07, 2018, 03:08:39 PM
Didn't they say that was mostly done with practical make-up effects?

I think that was An American Werewolf in London.

mothman

Bit of both, I suspect. It probably helps if the actors are all still around: the three I cited above, Sean Young in BR2049, all good. Tarkin & Leia in Rogue One, not so good.

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on May 07, 2018, 03:17:48 PM
Bit of both, I suspect. It probably helps if the actors are all still around: the three I cited above, Sean Young in BR2049, all good. Tarkin & Leia in Rogue One, not so good.

They didn't use actual Sean Young for BR2049, did they? Thought it was a lookalike with CGI enhancements, and Young just helped her to practice her walk.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: mothman on May 07, 2018, 09:09:42 AM
Oh, come on! That's just mean and uncalled for. I thought we were all trying to be nice to each other, after a couple of recent losses. Apologise to Replies, Claude.
You're right, that was harsh. I'm sorry. In fairness, absolutely anyone could write for Cinemasins. A monkey rubbing its arse on a typewriter could write for Cinamesins.

While we're picking holes in the first film; it bothered me that they made such a big deal of how incapacitatingly painful the bite of a bullet ant is, only for the villain to get bitten several times and react like it was nothing more than a bee sting.

mothman

I'm sure he'd felt much bigger pricks before.

Shaky

Quote from: Mister Six on May 07, 2018, 05:18:05 PM
They didn't use actual Sean Young for BR2049, did they? Thought it was a lookalike with CGI enhancements, and Young just helped her to practice her walk.

Yes, and it wasn't Young speaking either. Bit weird to have her on set then not use her.

samadriel

This kind of went in one ear and out the other for me, but I enjoyed it. I liked that the villain was saved at the end, rather than killed off. As for the mid-credits sequence, talk about bad timing! I wonder if Scott will be saved from the quantum realm during the next Avengers film, or if this will sideline him all the way 'til the next Ant Man film. I didn't stay for the post credits bit, 'cos those usually aren't really worth hanging around for; anyone want to spoil it for me?

Edit: okay, nm, it's the giant ant playing the drums. That's cute.

Glebe

Not out in the UK and Ireland 'til next month cos of the World Cup.

greenman

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 05, 2018, 06:25:49 PM
Don't forget he can turn into a really, really big Paul Rudd too.

Logically in that situation though he should be really weak for his size with the strength of normal Paul Rudd, not even strong enough to stand up.

Quote from: Shaky on May 07, 2018, 11:34:08 PM
Yes, and it wasn't Young speaking either. Bit weird to have her on set then not use her.

James Woods never forgets.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Glebe on July 08, 2018, 06:54:26 AM
Not out in the UK and Ireland 'til next month cos of the World Cup.

Since it now comes out in the school holidays there's close to fuck all chance I'm going to visit a cinema and watch it.

olliebean

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 09, 2018, 02:34:16 PM
Since it now comes out in the school holidays there's close to fuck all chance I'm going to visit a cinema and watch it.

Ah shit, I hadn't thought of that. Bollocks to that, then. If it's still on in September (probably will be), and I can still see it on a decent sized screen and not one of the shitty little screens my local multiplex crammed in to what used to be half of the toilets and somehow have the nerve to charge full price for, I'll see it then. Otherwise I'll wait and watch it at home.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 04, 2018, 12:43:04 AM
In most Marvel films the first one has been the weakest. Don't write off Ant-Man and The Wasp because the first one was a bit formulaic. I reckon it will be a winner.

I was wrong, I thought it was shitty. And I've been all over this thread defending Ant-Man's powers, which can all be explained away with Pym-Particles and Hank Pym designing in keeping either the mass or strength advantage you'd want at any size, but this movie stretched physics too far. But so many things made it shitty.

Mister Six

Clearly this film has been popular with CaBbers.

Wouldn't say it's shit, but having stopped even pretending it's a heist movie means it seems even more pointless than before. As a superhero movie it lacks the kinetic thrills and heroism of the Captain America flicks; as a comedy film it's only mildly amusing, especially compared with the Guardians films and Thor 3.

It is nice to see a Marvel movie that's so resolutely small-scale, and which hinges on familial commitment (Michael Douglas trying to rescue Michelle Pfeiffer, Ant-Man trying to stay out of jail for his kid, Lawrence Fishburne trying to save his adopted daughter) and a genuinely quite tense race against time rather than big loads of pixelated robots or aliens blowing stuff up while buildings collapse.

It has the air of a well-meaning 1980s adventure film rather than a modern-day superhero flick (Inner Space comes to mind, and not because of the shrinky-dink action), and some of the uses of shrinking/growing powers were fun. And Walton Goggins!

But it's really more admirable than it is enjoyable or memorable, and it's hard not to get the feeling that Marvel would have been better served handing over the Ant-Man slots to other characters. We should certainly have had an Atomic Blonde-esque Black Widow movie before now, for example.