Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:35:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

# Mute RKelly

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 02, 2018, 08:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

The Time's Up movement is asking business to boycott singer-songwriter R Kelly over sexual assault allegations and an alleged illegal marriage. His management have issued a statement describing the Time's Up movement as taking part in "an attempted public lynching of a black man".

Do you still listen to R Kelly knowing the allegations against him?

Sebastian Cobb

Boycotting R-Kelly would be as effortless as boycotting soda stream.

Dr Syntax Head

Stick him in a closet

Sgt. Duckie

Now he's coming up the stairs...stairs...stairs...

momatt

I've been boycotting the cunt since I was born.

I find it amazing he's carried on his career as long as he has.  So people are only just waking up to him being a cunt?

alan nagsworth

yeh but if "i believe i can fly" comes on you best believe i ain't muting that banger

Flouncer

I wonder if there are people out there saying, "When he shagged and pissed on that underage lass I was right behind him, but this is the last straw!"

Spiteface

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 02, 2018, 08:07:33 AM
The Time's Up movement is asking business to boycott singer-songwriter R Kelly over sexual assault allegations and an alleged illegal marriage. His management have issued a statement describing the Time's Up movement as taking part in "an attempted public lynching of a black man".

Do you still listen to R Kelly knowing the allegations against him?

Yes, because Trapped in the Closet is fucking genius. I know that makes me a bad person, but I'm not bothered.

Enjoying art made by bad people doesn't make you a bad person.

Dr Syntax Head

Beck is a scientologist. I love everything he's made.

Phil Spector made some of the greatest pop music ever, and he straight up killed a person. Everyone still listens to his stuff because it's really good. Everyone is entitled to their own discernment about these things.

Flouncer

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 02, 2018, 08:44:24 PM
Phil Spector made some of the greatest pop music ever, and he straight up killed a person. Everyone still listens to his stuff because it's really good. Everyone is entitled to their own discernment about these things.

Exactly. Enjoying great art made by bad people isn't an endorsement of the terrible things they've done. However, as you say, if you can no longer appreciate their work in light of their crimes, then that's fair enough, it's a personal choice.

Dr Syntax Head

Art is pure expression. To deny the expression of bad people is to deny the dark parts of our own mind. I think I know what I meant. Right now I'm listening to Layne, I'll never do heroin but it's good for me to hear the truth in what a heroin addict is saying. Does that make any sense? If not I'll fuck off.

Sin Agog

Sounds to me like this is more about depriving him of moolah than anything.  I'm all for financial boycotts.  Seems about the only way us piss-ants can get through to the pezzonovantes out there.

Jerzy Bondov

Well he's a pretty nasty piece of work. At this point I have to wonder what it would take to get me to stop listening to Ignition (Remix). The answer, it would seem, is 'nothing'

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 02, 2018, 08:44:24 PM

Aye, Spector was a Moaty-level genius, and sadly most of the best music producers were shits and tyrants.

Sebastian Cobb

Have you ever heard Chuck Berry on the radio?
YOU KNOW, THE ONE WHO GOT DONE FOR 'TRANSPORTING A MINOR OVER STATE LINES' AND LATER FOR SPYING ON HIS OWN BACKING SINGERS?

or what about Jerry Lee Lewis?
YOU KNOW, THE ONE WHO MARRIED HIS 13 YEAR OLD COUSIN IN THE EARLY 60S?

Thank god nobody listens to them anymore, eh?

Utter Shit

Obviously R. Kelly is a dreadful man but I find myself drawn to his back catalogue (heyooooo) still, partly because so much of it is great - Vibe, I Wish, Ignition - but mostly because a great deal of it is completely fucking bonkers. Obviously Trapped In The Closet is the height of his madness, but he's had those mad conversation-songs on his normal albums and they are just as insane. This one is my favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdaAWFoWr2c

BITCH I WISH YOU WOOOOOOOULD BURN MY MUTHAFUCKIN' CLOOOOOOTHES

momatt

Luckily not an issue for me, as I've always thought R Kelly's music is fucking awful.

madhair60

I bought Trapped in the Closet on DVD from the Romsey Mill charity shop the other week. Daren't watch it, too good.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 02, 2018, 08:34:20 PM
Enjoying art made by bad people doesn't make you a bad person.

Jerrod Carmichael has a great bit about this, using R Kelly as one of his examples https://youtu.be/KiQvO8OC7jc

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 03, 2018, 12:19:30 AM
Have you ever heard Chuck Berry on the radio?
YOU KNOW, THE ONE WHO GOT DONE FOR 'TRANSPORTING A MINOR OVER STATE LINES' AND LATER FOR SPYING ON HIS OWN BACKING SINGERS?

or what about Jerry Lee Lewis?
YOU KNOW, THE ONE WHO MARRIED HIS 13 YEAR OLD COUSIN IN THE EARLY 60S?

Thank god nobody listens to them anymore, eh?
Possibly the wrong two examples to pick, because I can't remember the last time I heard either of them on the radio.