Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:09:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best break up albums

Started by Dr Syntax Head, May 02, 2018, 08:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Syntax Head

Done before I'm sure.

Gentleman-Afghan Whigs
Beck-Sea Change
Eels-End times

Disintegration qualifies even though Smith was newly married at the time.

Kris Kristofferson's 'To the Bone' is an underrated one

Sin Agog

Peter Hammill's Over is fucking intense.

Also, Marvin Gaye's Here, My Dear, rattled off to pay his alimony, is easily my favourite album by the dude.

Dr Syntax Head

That album with that wood cabin guy. I forget.

thraxx

Dog Man Star.

Blood on the Tracks.

Both certified and road tested break up albums, by me.

Here, My Dear is indeed excellent. A massive, open-hearted, eccentric masterpiece

Dr Syntax Head

It amazes me that the most beautiful Cure song ever made was on a breakup album after Smith got hitched up. Pictures of you. How did his wife feel hearing that beauty?

Sin Agog

Just a song, but John Cale's Guts has one of the best opening lines ever: "The bugger in the short sleeves fucked my wife."  I think said bugger was Kevin Ayers.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 02, 2018, 08:56:04 PM
Just a song, but John Cale's Guts has one of the best opening lines ever: "The bugger in the short sleeves fucked my wife."  I think said bugger was Kevin Ayers.

Dark but to the point. It's what we all want in a break up song. Dulli would dig that line.

jobotic

Isn't that Field Mice/Trembling Blue Stars chap's entire output about break-ups. with women that were in his bands at the time?

garbed_attic

I would have said Brand New's Devil and God Are Raging Inside of Me... but now I fear it's actually about grooming underage girls. /sigh

non capisco

Another vote for Marvin Gaye's 'Here, My Dear'. I'd read about the circumstances behind that album before I heard it and assumed it would be the soul equivalent of Van Morrison fulfilling a record contract by singing about ringworm. I was delightfully surprised when it turns out that it's possibly his best one.

'Blood & Chocolate' by old wordy acidic thwarted chops Elvis Costello is one of the best "my woman done me wrong" albums ever recorded. "He's got all the things you need and some that you will never/You make him sound like frozen food, his love will last forever". I like the bit where he sneers that his replacement between the sheets wears turquoise pyjamas. "Turquoise pyjamas, what a loser!" thinks Elvis from behind his high strength binoculars. 'I Want You' is borderline traumatising. It's a fantastically bilious collection of songs. "You never did anything she couldn't do on her own/You're as good as your word but that's no good to her/You better leave that kitten alone." Plenty more fish in the sea, Elvis mate.

"Tunnel Of Love" by Bruce Springsteen, there's another divorce belter. Full of wounded dignity, self recrimination and all that good stuff.

The Culture Bunker

I was going to say Hats by the Blue Nile, on the back of "Let's Go Out Tonight" and "From a Late Night Train", but I remembered it ends with "Saturday Night", which is pretty optimistic. Bah.

Dr Syntax Head

I'm interested in the difference between man break up music and woman break up music. Man break up music seems more bitter.

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 02, 2018, 08:56:04 PM

'I Keep A Close Watch' is another haunting break up song from Cale

wosl

Yes! Forgot about that one, it's fantastic.

Dr Syntax Head

I'm very perplexed as to we've never had a definitive Nine Inch Nails breakup album. He did loss and grief a lot and loads of breakup songs but never 'that album' If there's anyone qualified .....

Dr Syntax Head

Is there really a better subject to write songs about?

DrGreggles

Do band break-ups count?

Because 'Abbey Road' and 'Strangeways Here We Come' are both amazing considering what the tension between the band members must have been like.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 02, 2018, 08:52:43 PM
It amazes me that the most beautiful Cure song ever made was on a breakup album after Smith got hitched up. Pictures of you. How did his wife feel hearing that beauty?

Untitled as well.

Phil_A

Richard and Linda Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights

They were breaking up as it was recorded. An extraordinarily bitter and beautiful album.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 02, 2018, 10:14:51 PM
Untitled as well.

Oh god! How many times have I cried my eyes out to that song

non capisco

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 02, 2018, 10:08:21 PM
Do band break-ups count?

Because 'Abbey Road' and 'Strangeways Here We Come' are both amazing considering what the tension between the band members must have been like.

If 'Let It Be' is the insurmountable deadlock at the end of a long relationship then the medley on side 2 of 'Abbey Road' is the liberating final shag.

Captain Crunch

PHM is full of break up angst, and it's abundant elsewhere in the nin catalogue. Something I Can Never Have screams of unrequited love to me.

"Annie, hold a little tighter I might just slip away".

holyzombiejesus

Perhaps not a break up album per se but it certainly captures the bitterness, resentfulness and ennui that's been present at the end of most of my relationships.

buzby

Elbow's Leaders Of The Free World, written in the wake of Edith Bowman giving Guy Garvey the 'elbow' Most of the songs on the album revolve around this toa greate ror lesser extent (e.g Mexican Standoff, My Very Best, The Stops)
New Order's Technique, written while Bernard Sumner and his first wife Sue were getting divorced (in particular the lyrics of Love Less, Round & Round, Guilty Partner and Run)

the ouch cube

'The Boatman's Call' innit.

Bob Mould's 'Black Sheets Of Rain' and the 1996 self titled (aka Hubcap) are both easily as embittered as 'Blood And Chocolate'

Converge's 'Jane Doe'

Z