Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:46:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HQ Trivia

Started by Lost Oliver, May 03, 2018, 08:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Oliver

Anyone else doing this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intermedia.hq&hl=en_GB

Basically it's an app quiz show that takes place twice a day. It's free to enter and you could win a bit of money.

Trouble is it's insanely difficult and impossible to win based on knowledge alone. Luck absolutely comes into it.

Worth a go though if you're having a shit at 3 pm and need something to occupy your mind.

Dog Botherer

The wife and I play it whenever we feel like it. Used to get really into it but it loses it's charm fairly quick. All the presenters are annoying as fuck.

That said, if I ever won anything off it, I'd be far more tolerant of their godawful puns.

kittens

furthest i've ever got is like question 5. keep trying though cos one day eh. where do they get their money from

The Culture Bunker

Play it now and then. First time I got right to the end but didn't guess Bryan and Ryan Adams share a birthday. Would have won £55. Bah.

Not got further than question seven since.

Lost Oliver

This is it, there's no averts, so how is it running? Just some generous quiz master? I think not!

Furthest I got to was Q9 and even that was using an extra life. I'm trying to work out how the questions operate and if there's a method to it but I don't think there is.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Lost Oliver on May 04, 2018, 08:06:51 AM
This is it, there's no averts, so how is it running? Just some generous quiz master? I think not!

They're not making any money at the moment but it's only a matter of time. The plan is to get loads of users on it and then start doing advertising. Currently they're getting about 200k players on a good day which is almost double what it was a month ago so it must be getting more attractive to companies all the time. I've seen they've done it once with Dwayne Johnson flogging the Rampage film. It's created by the two guys who made Vine by the way.

kittens

got to the last question! put in dolly the sheep, then instantly knew that was wrong. only missed out on £20 though so who cares

The Culture Bunker

I got done over, not for the first time, by a reality TV show question. Question number nine, I think it was. Curses.

gmoney

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on May 07, 2018, 06:58:54 PM
They're not making any money at the moment but it's only a matter of time. The plan is to get loads of users on it and then start doing advertising. Currently they're getting about 200k players on a good day which is almost double what it was a month ago so it must be getting more attractive to companies all the time. I've seen they've done it once with Dwayne Johnson flogging the Rampage film. It's created by the two guys who made Vine by the way.

I think it sold sponsorship to Nike? Or something.

I play Cash Show, as you start winning money from question 6 onwards. I've made £43.79 over a few months, which for fuck all outlay, is not bad. The prizes have shrunk as it's got more popular, but it's still a diverting way to spend 15 minutes twice a day.

Use the code 23VDPA to get an extra life for yourself and one for me as well.

Uncle TechTip

They demand your phone number, that must be part of the plan to make money somehow later.

colacentral

And we're sure it's not Silver Shamrock behind this?

Steven

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 16, 2018, 11:31:08 PM
They demand your phone number, that must be part of the plan to make money somehow later.

They've been charging me £1 a minute to listen to someone whisper Quiz questions down the phone while I wank off for weeks now.

Bazooka

Quote from: colacentral on May 16, 2018, 11:35:53 PM
And we're sure it's not Silver Shamrock behind this?

Ha, great reference.

C_Larence

Quote from: gmoney on May 08, 2018, 09:32:07 AM
I think it sold sponsorship to Nike? Or something.

I play Cash Show, as you start winning money from question 6 onwards. I've made £43.79 over a few months, which for fuck all outlay, is not bad. The prizes have shrunk as it's got more popular, but it's still a diverting way to spend 15 minutes twice a day.

Use the code 23VDPA to get an extra life for yourself and one for me as well.

I had a go at this today on your recommendation (enjoy the extra life!). Managed to make £0.02 on a question about what animal the canary islands are named after. When the majority of people put birds (rather than the correct answer dogs) the host apologised and said there must have been an error and that they would have to be given an extra life as compensation. Having played HQ for a while prior to this I found the difference in production values extremely noticeable. Cash Show is like the Boko Haram to HQ's Isis.

gmoney

Quote from: C_Larence on May 19, 2018, 12:24:04 AM
I had a go at this today on your recommendation (enjoy the extra life!). Managed to make £0.02 on a question about what animal the canary islands are named after. When the majority of people put birds (rather than the correct answer dogs) the host apologised and said there must have been an error and that they would have to be given an extra life as compensation. Having played HQ for a while prior to this I found the difference in production values extremely noticeable. Cash Show is like the Boko Haram to HQ's Isis.
The do have a history of getting questions wrong, so the host's immediate backing down was probably related to this. They're definitely not as slick as HQ. Only one of their presenters is any good (a South African bloke) and rest range from incompetent to annoying. I find this all part of the charm though, and I'm nearing £50 earned, compared to fack all on HQ.

Steven

Both of them are shit, the WiFi always seems to drop and you get locked out because instead of just giving you questions you get a streaming video of some presenter cunt and half the time the fucking question boxes don't even pop up so you're actually physically incapable of answering. Just shite.

gmoney

I'll say for balance that's never happened to me. Do you live in a wifi backwater?

Steven

Quote from: gmoney on May 21, 2018, 01:55:43 PM
I'll say for balance that's never happened to me. Do you live in a wifi backwater?

No, but for some reason, on two different devices both these apps seem to continually shit the bed. Either the app just freezes or the presenter will be nattering on about pressing whichever answer but the actual fucking answers don't pop up for you to press. It's infuriating. I can't imagine how some poor cunt trying to play over the phone data might suffer, why even have a live stream? Just have text showing the questions and answers for flying cack sake, what a waste of bandwidth.

I understand why they use presenters, it's to get 'shout outs' and make it all chummy so once they start incorporating advertising they think they will keep a certain ratio of users. Bollocks.

C_Larence

It happened to me on Cash Show after the first question yesterday but I've never experienced it on HQ. The host who's been presenting the past few evening shows can't go a question without mispronouncing a word or garbling a sentence, it's almost endearing. Yesterday when one of the answers was about Mark Mothersbaugh, I said out loud as he was speaking "he's going to call the band devvo", and he did! He also has no idea what to do with his hands, begins almost every sentence with "so" and waffles on with inane facts about himself after questions. It's free money though, so I really can't complain.

Steven

He also insists it's live constantly for some reason, and proves it by showing a phone streaming what's on the camera.. as if that's somehow proof.

TIAL

10p won after 2 games of Cash Show, not much to write home about although it's more than I've ever won on HQ so I suppose it's something..

How are you making £50 on the app though, even if you get all questions right the total comes to £3. How long did it take you to get there?

gmoney

When I started playing a couple of months ago there were less players and people seemed less clued up that you can Google a lot of the answers if you're quick. It wasn't uncommon to see prizes of £7-10. Since then the amount of players has gone up but they've not adjusted the prizes. I also play it with my girlfriend and housemate most days, so we help each other if one of knows the answer.

gmoney

Antone is pretty bad, but the worst was Yasmin. She didn't have a clue about anything she was reading out but would pretend she did, leading her to claim that The Simpsons was her favourite show, and it was about a guy called Homer and his best friend Moe.

The chummy shit is awful, especially when you reconcile it with the cess pit of a comment feed. That's why I like the South African bloke, he just ploughs through in a professional manner.

Steven

Yeah, just tried playing Cash Show again and he asks a question, and it's just him staring at the screen and no options to press anything, by the time they do show up you're locked out of pressing anything and the time is up. Useless.

Steven

And again tried HQ Trivia, pressed the first answer correct, pressed the second answer correct and it just says I'm eliminated! THE END.

Oh dear mr quiz expert is all bitter that it's too hard for him.

Am I the only person here who's won on HQ?

Steven

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on May 22, 2018, 08:21:45 AM
Oh dear mr quiz expert is all bitter that it's too hard for him.

TOO HARD? The apps don't fucking work, constantly freeze or don't even give you any options to press, or eliminate you for no reason. Hard? Shite more like.

gmoney

I reckon it's your phone.