Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:08:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst thing anyone has said during online gaming.

Started by bgmnts, May 04, 2018, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I play Fortnite Battle Royale and I dont have a mic but on the rare occasion someone will invite me to a party and team up.

Some lads who were clearly young adults or teenagers were very aggressive and one of them called me a Jewish cunt.

It was really weird. I get a feeling the gaming community really is quite toxic. I suppose its just an extension of the internet community really isnt it?

What was the worst thing you have heard someone say whilst gaming online?

Talasour

I used to play Counter Strike: Global Offensive on Steam and have been called all types of weird and wonderful names in all different languages during games but the best thing to do is just block communications.

AsparagusTrevor

The toxic-nature of the community is the main thing that puts me off online gaming, I'm purely a single-player or on rare occasions local-multiplayer.

Like you say, I think it is just an extension of the same attitude found on forums and comment sections throughout the internet, safely hiding behind an anonymous persona, but since it's all ad-hoc it lacks those few potential moments of self-reflection that might lead to a person thinking better of it and filtering out some of the worse stuff. Online gamers seem to be angry by default as well, offended by someone not having spent the entirety of their free-time practising every single minute mechanic of a game.

madhair60

Someone called me a "first-class prannet" on Xbox 360 Uno. I lost it and kicked screaming hell out of my wall.

Flouncer

The only online game I play is Hearthstone. Once I beat someone and they added me (you can only speak to people on your friends list) and they called me a pay to play wanker or something because I was using a deck with a few decent cards in it. They then unfriended me before I had a chance to say "FUCK OFF AND DIE YOU AIDS-RIDDEN COCK POLISHING SPUNK CHUGGER!!!!!1!" I quite like that about Hearthstone, that you just get some reacts to fire off at your opponent, so you can go "Wow..." at terrible bad luck or shake your fist at people who have really expensive decks that you can't afford. I don't see why people need to talk to each other when they're playing games; as mentioned above it just gives people a cloak of anonymity so they can spew out discriminatory shit without consequence, and the cesspool of hatred ferments in this environment, inevitably leading to a showcase of the absolute worst of toxic masculinity and racism.

Playing Toy Racer on the Dreamcast back in the day, I once got matched with a lobby of French guys who tried to get me out of the room by discussing "your precious Princess Margaret". This was a couple of days after she'd scalded herself in the bath and they thought that by mentioning her over and over, I'd quit the lobby in floods of tears.

Needless to say I stayed on out of spite, typing "MARGARET #1" every time we were in the lobby.

I was once also called "King of the Jews" in Conker Live & Reloaded but some other guy rallied to my defence by saying "that's Jesus, you fucking s*****c" which I thought was lovely.