Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:46:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What We Do In The Shadows of a US TV show

Started by Ant Farm Keyboard, May 04, 2018, 12:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ant Farm Keyboard

There will be a TV version of What We Do in the Shadows in spring 2019. FX has ordered a season of 10 episodes. Jemaine Clement is attached as a writer, and Taika Waititi as a director.

The show will be set in New York, with a new cast, starring mostly British comedians: Matt Berry, Kayvan Novak, Natasia Demetriou, and American actor Harvey Guillen (presumably the human provider for the vampires).

http://deadline.com/2018/05/what-we-do-in-the-shadows-reboot-jemaine-clement-taika-waititi-fx-series-order-1202382260/

QuoteNovak will play Nandor, the head vampire of the house. Berry plays Lazslo, the goofiest in the house, the type of vampire who turns into a bat and flies into a wall. Demetriou plays Nadja, the badass female vampire of the house. Guillen is believed to play Nandor's assistant.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'd have thought Berry more suited to playing a pompous Byronic type and Novak as the whacky one, but Waititi and Clement have earned my faith.

Ferris

I hope this will be good. Part of the fun for me were the NZ accents because it was such a unique combiation (vampires interacting with people that sound like Brett MacKenzie) so it was inherently funny. Americans tend not to be as dry so it might not work.

Who knows? Looking forward to it anyway.

I loved the introduction of the energy vampire. That looks like it's got mileage. The rest seemed like a run through of the films most iconic scenes.

Icehaven

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on February 05, 2019, 02:53:52 PM
The rest seemed like a run through of the films most iconic scenes.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed to see that, it's different characters in a different setting and a lot of viewers will have seen/end up seeing both, so I don't think it's a great idea to literally recyle material. But I loved the film enough to still be optimistic about this.

Dusty Substance

It's got Tom Scharpling and Mark Procksch onboard, and if they're onboard then so am I.

Crabwalk

Quote from: icehaven on February 05, 2019, 03:15:23 PM
Yeah I was a bit disappointed to see that, it's different characters in a different setting and a lot of viewers will have seen/end up seeing both, so I don't think it's a great idea to literally recyle material. But I loved the film enough to still be optimistic about this.

I'm expecting most of this material to have come from the early episodes, as those will be the ones with scenes ready for use in the trailer. It only wrapped very recently. I wouldn't worry, it's bound to develop into its own thing pretty sharpish, and Mark Proksch's 'Energy Vampire' is a good indication that excellent new ideas will be introduced.

As an aside, Matt Berry gives a pretty effective deadpan performance in that 'Beverley Luff Lin' film on Netflix. I've never found his louche lothario schtick particularly funny so I'm glad he's not offering one of those in this show.

steveh

Has Matt Berry ever done anything completely against type? If not I'd quite like to see him attempt that.

Apparently this will be on BBC 2 in the UK as part of the BBC's recent deal with FX but no date yet.

wooders1978

Looking forward to this but the trailer seems like they are just retreading scenes from the film

Crabwalk

Quote from: wooders1978 on February 06, 2019, 12:23:52 PM
Looking forward to this but the trailer seems like they are just retreading scenes from the film

See above. Those scenes are probably from the first 1/2 episodes. Possibly even the pilot (could anyone confirm if E01 will just be the pilot? Given that Waititi directed that, i'm guessing it will be).

Also, given that there are 10 episodes, even if the entire film is replicated (which it won't be), those scenes would still take up a small percentage of the overall run.

St_Eddie

Did anyone watch the New Zealand spin-off, Wellington Paranormal?  I've got all of the episodes sat on my hard drive but haven't mustered the inclination to actually watch any of them.  I'm just wondering if I should move it up on my 'things to watch' list (which is overwhelmingly packed).

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 06, 2019, 10:56:34 AM
I'm expecting most of this material to have come from the early episodes, as those will be the ones with scenes ready for use in the trailer. It only wrapped very recently. I wouldn't worry, it's bound to develop into its own thing pretty sharpish, and Mark Proksch's 'Energy Vampire' is a good indication that excellent new ideas will be introduced.

I'm expecting preciously this in regards to the reuse of material from the film.  Think along the lines of the US version of The Office.  It started out by reusing a lot of material from the original UK version but soon evolved into its own thing.

olliebean

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 06, 2019, 01:53:01 PM
Also, given that there are 10 episodes, even if the entire film is replicated (which it won't be), those scenes would still take up a small percentage of the overall run.

About 40%, assuming 21 minute episodes.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 06, 2019, 08:13:39 PM
Did anyone watch the New Zealand spin-off, Wellington Paranormal?  I've got all of the episodes sat on my hard drive but haven't mustered the inclination to actually watch any of them.  I'm just wondering if I should move it up on my 'things to watch' list (which is overwhelmingly packed).

I watched three episodes and kind of liked it but it was an uneven beast and I didn't really warm to the characters in the same way as I did with What We Do In The Shadows. I might get round to finishing it off at some point but I've such a backlog of tv right now that I might not do so, certainly if the fourth episode isn't an improvement I probably won't.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 06, 2019, 09:44:43 PM
I watched three episodes and kind of liked it but it was an uneven beast and I didn't really warm to the characters in the same way as I did with What We Do In The Shadows. I might get round to finishing it off at some point but I've such a backlog of tv right now that I might not do so, certainly if the fourth episode isn't an improvement I probably won't.

Ah, okay.  That being the case, it's getting shoved to the back of the queue on my 'things to watch' list.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Just a reminder...

The US show premieres in a few hours.

Rev+

Really?  I thought it must have been broadcast as it's been 'available' since yesterday.

It's decent enough, but I kept thinking 'was that a gag from the film, or did it seem familiar because it's a bit obvious?'.  There are some major changes but it does feel like a bit of a remake at this point, so whether this is any cop or not won't be apparent until around the third episode.  It's definitely up to the standard of the film, anyway.

Oh, and despite what the trailer might have led you to believe, Matt Berry isn't that restrained.  He's doing his usual Brian Blessed Jr. for the most part.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Rev+ on March 28, 2019, 12:32:21 AM
Oh, and despite what the trailer might have led you to believe, Matt Berry isn't that restrained.  He's doing his usual Brian Blessed Jr. for the most part.

Oh, Lordy.

chveik

it's mediocre (so far). I'm glad to see Mark Proksch though.

Icehaven

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: icehaven on March 28, 2019, 10:26:35 PM
Where is this available?

Have just pm'd you a link, if anyone else wants it just message me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The film itself I found to be a relatively funny sketch stretched to film length, so it was already getting pretty grating, with most of the best lines used up in the first 45 minutes, even then leaning rather too heavily on dull camp humour and pretty naff jokes to sustain it through to the finish. But it just about justified itself.

The idea of watching a further 2 or 3 hours, even in episodic format does not appeal. There just isn't enough comic material to squeeze out of the concept.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 28, 2019, 11:08:01 PM
The film itself I found to be a relatively funny sketch stretched to film length, so it was already getting pretty grating, with most of the best lines used up in the first 45 minutes, even then leaning rather too heavily on dull camp humour and pretty naff jokes to sustain it through to the finish. But it just about justified itself.

The idea of watching a further 2 or 3 hours, even in episodic format does not appeal. There just isn't enough comic material to squeeze out of the concept.

I think that this is on point.

Dex Sawash

Never saw the film. Just watched first ep  and it wasn't very good. I suppose I'll watch one or two more. The family guy style art still cut scenes (frames?) were good.

Alberon

The pilot wasn't as good as the film, but that might simply because I watched the film only a few months ago.

At the moment the best bit about it is the theme song which I was surprised to learn is over fifty years old.

remedial_gash

light bump, any still watching this?

Caught episodes 2,3 and 4 recently - think if it's a generally high quality, nothing groundbreaking, but I am giggling heartily.

Thought episode three was the highlight with M Proksch's energy vampire pitted against an emotional vampire. Thought four was the poorest as every plot beat was telegraphed. Still, like the cast - even Berry, and it's lightweight fun.

Edit poorly placed commas, can't be arsed to change. Hic.

chveik

Quote from: remedial_gash on April 23, 2019, 10:01:08 PM
Thought four was the poorest as every plot beat was telegraphed.

Tom Scharpling's episode...

BlodwynPig

Matt Berry lends his voice to Papa Moomin in the forthcoming(?) Moominland TV series

letsgobrian

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 24, 2019, 12:03:11 AM
Matt Berry lends his voice to Papa Moomin in the forthcoming(?) Moominland TV series

Moominvalley. And it's just started airing on Sky. Saw the first episode, it wasn't not great. Kind of leaden direction, but apparently the first two episodes are done by a different studio to the bulk of the series, so maybe it improves?

As for What We Do In The Shadows, I think I'm enjoying it more than most here, but it strikes me that the ongoing plots - Jenna, the Baron's orders - are too disjointed and leave the whole thing feeling patchy.