Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:31:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What We Do In The Shadows of a US TV show

Started by Ant Farm Keyboard, May 04, 2018, 12:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ant Farm Keyboard

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 24, 2019, 07:54:57 PM
Jenna is played by Jonah Hill's sister.

She's even listed on IMDB as 'Jonah Hill's sister'.

Alberon

Still watching, though I haven't seen the latest yet.

As a series it hasn't escaped the film's shadow (and fun as that is it isn't the pinnacle of the mockumentory), but the Energy Vampire, Colin Robinson, has come close.

But I'll stick with it for now.

Dr Sanchez

I've seen two episodes and have really enjoyed it. It has that rapid fire pace similar to a lot of American comedies but this is clever, funny and  quite scary at times.

It's the perfect vehicle for Matt Berry to slide into the big time with.

j_u_d_a_s

Watched a few eps of this and really Colin the energy vampire is far and away the best thing about the show. The episode with Vanessa Bayer as the emotional vampire was great stuff and the highlight so far for me.

I'll admit upfront I'm not a Matt Berry fan but I did hope his schtick would be well used here. Trouble is him and Kayvan Novak are playing it too broad, Natasha Demetriou is fine but underused. And I guess because of its subject matter, there's not much variety in what three vampires can actually do at night that won't simply be revisiting the movie.

VelourSpirit

I put off watching this because I thought it was gonna be a bit too US Office-y, and it sort of was, but I did enjoy the first two episodes. Doug Jones' elder vampire looks great. Knew it was him because no-one else is skinny enough to be able to have big protruding fake ribs like that.

Norton Canes

Watched the first episode last night, thought it was great. Though Matt Berry was obviously working off the script most of the time, he must surely have improvised the glorious "sexyual intercourse"

Haven't seen the 2014 film.

sevendaughters

Saw the pilot last night and thought it was just okay. All my laughter was for Mark Proksch. Just feel like this style has been run into the ground a bit.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on April 28, 2019, 01:11:52 AM
Watched a few eps of this and really Colin the energy vampire is far and away the best thing about the show. The episode with Vanessa Bayer as the emotional vampire was great stuff and the highlight so far for me.

I'll admit upfront I'm not a Matt Berry fan but I did hope his schtick would be well used here. Trouble is him and Kayvan Novak are playing it too broad, Natasha Demetriou is fine but underused. And I guess because of its subject matter, there's not much variety in what three vampires can actually do at night that won't simply be revisiting the movie.

I agree with you when it comes to most of that, and the Emotional Vampire episode was my favourite too. I do like Matt Berry in it a bit more than you but I'm struggling with Kayvan Novak, he has his moments but a lot of the time slightly annoys as it's the performance is too forced and really needs to be a little more subtle.

Pancake

This looks wank but I do fancy the greek bird a bit so will give it a chance

NoSleep

Liked the film, liked Wellington Paranormal (the NZ spin-off tv series about the two cops in the film), and I'm liking this new series.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm not a big fan of Matt Berry, but his shtick actually works in this context. He's known for playing OTT characters - well, one OTT character to be precise - but I've always regarded him as a rather flat actor. However, he seems to be really enjoying himself here, he's not just phoning it in. 

St_Eddie

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 20, 2019, 09:57:54 AM
Watched the first episode last night, thought it was great. Though Matt Berry was obviously working off the script most of the time, he must surely have improvised the glorious "sexyual intercourse"

Urgh.  Way to put me off ever watching this.  Matt Berry doing his usual shtick.  Fuck's sake.

BeardFaceMan

I really liked the film but only lasted 2 episodes of Wellington Paranormal, will I like this?

NoSleep

The new series is modelled on the film but set in NY, so give it a go.

BeardFaceMan

I think I will, it was mainly the cop characters I didn't like in WP. We all love a good idiot character but it gets a bit tedious a bit quickly when everyone's an idiot.

Bad Ambassador

The set-up and tone are the same as the film, but the story's completely different, as far as I can tell.

It also helps that Clement and Waititi are closely involved.

I had high hopes for this but the first episode was complete shite so I'm out.

amnesiac

Agree with the above caller. I was so excited for it but wow, is it bad (yes, very bad).

It's just remarkable to me how it manages to be so close to the film BUT so bad, the margins between excellence and complete shit are SO. THIN.

I hate it, I actually hate it, not just apathy, hate, I also hate people who like it, that's how much I hate it.

It's the casting I think. KN is terrible. MB is also terrible but how come I normally love him? it's like he just wandered onto the set. It's just awful, it's like a 6th form production of the film.

NoSleep

The film isn't that good, nor is the TV series that bad. Both could have been better.

QDRPHNC

I thought the movie was hilarious, the TV show is pretty bad. Personally, I would have been happy to spend way, way more time with Mark Proksch.

selectivememory

I've just caught up with this. It's fine. Nothing special, and there's no particular episode that really stands out to me, but I've been finding it enjoyable enough. I don't think the casting is a problem, and I don't really have an issue with anyone in any of the lead roles. But as far as the writing goes, every now and then I find myself wondering what someone like Jon Glaser or the PFFR guys would do with a concept like this, and in comparison this seems very safe and obvious.

And yeah, agree that there should be far more Mark Proksch in this than there is.

NoSleep

Quote from: selectivememory on May 25, 2019, 09:11:36 PM
But as far as the writing goes, every now and then I find myself wondering what someone like Jon Glaser or the PFFR guys would do with a concept like this, and in comparison this seems very safe and obvious.

Add some lasagne-making aliens?

olliebean

"Safe and obvious" is pretty much in the premise, though, isn't it? "Vampires, but in the style of a safe and obvious documentary." If it wasn't safe and obvious, it'd be an entirely different show.

Puce Moment

It's good. Not great. But good enough.

The majority of sitcoms made these days are absolute dog plops so I find it hard to be too annoyed that this is a bit mediocre in places. There are some really funny moments, usually with Proksch. The rest of the cast are fine - but holy shit, Matt Berry really does just do the one character.

selectivememory

Quote from: olliebean on May 26, 2019, 01:54:15 PM
"Safe and obvious" is pretty much in the premise, though, isn't it? "Vampires, but in the style of a safe and obvious documentary." If it wasn't safe and obvious, it'd be an entirely different show.

I don't think the premise is anywhere near that limiting. I guess it would be a different show, but potentially a much better one for it.

I don't want to knock it too much. I am enjoying it. The cast is quite likeable and it is gently amusing, but it is also exactly what I expected it to be. 

her?

I watched the first two episodes last night and I doubt I'll watch the rest. I remember finding Matt Berry hilarious when I first saw him in the Boosh but his schtick hasn't changed one bit and now I can't remember what's funny about it.

Interesting that you all seem to like the bald guy as I thought he was the worst thing in it. Thought his character was going to be a one off gag - haha boring office guy sucks the life out of people - but nope, he's a full on main character. I'm worried that maybe I just don't like comedy any more.

SteveDave

Quote from: letsgobrian on April 24, 2019, 12:23:04 AM
Moominvalley. And it's just started airing on Sky. Saw the first episode, it wasn't not great. Kind of leaden direction, but apparently the first two episodes are done by a different studio to the bulk of the series, so maybe it improves?

Little My is a prick.

Also, Will Self is in Moominvalley. Or his voice is.

amnesiac

Quote from: SteveDave on May 28, 2019, 03:57:18 PM
Little My is a prick.

Also, Will Self is in Moominvalley. Or his voice is.

wtf! this is actually a truth! I'm going in.