Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:40:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What We Do In The Shadows of a US TV show

Started by Ant Farm Keyboard, May 04, 2018, 12:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Not sure why people are so down on Novak's accent in this, he's just doing an impression of Waititi  from the film isn't he? And maybe I haven't seen enough stuff with Matt Berry in it but he seems a lot more restrained in this then he usually he is. It can be hard to maintain interest with this humdrum style of comedy, fantastical characters doing normal things, they pulled it off with the film, I thought they missed with WP and this show is somewhere in between. Not amazing but certainly not a waste of time.

As an aside, did anyone watch Death Valley (it was on MTV and created by Rob Zombie's brother)? That was a few years ago but had a similar concept to WP, following cops as they deal with vampires and werewolves. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw WP.

NoSleep

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 28, 2019, 05:33:16 PM
Not sure why people are so down on Novak's accent in this, he's just doing an impression of Waititi  from the film isn't he?

Doubt it; Waititi turns up in character later in the season and his character has a German/Austrian sounding name (he based his character on his mother who is of Russian Jewish descent). Novak's character is from the Middle East (where Iran is now). There's nothing particularly wrong with his accent (Novak's parents are Iranian).

McFlymo

Late to the party here, but just to chip in: Perhaps lockdown adding to my mood, but I have found this excruciatingly bad. The talking heads explaining the story - I get that that's the style of documentaries and reality TV, but fuck sake, every fucking time the plot moves forward an inch: Another 30 seconds of someone explaining what's happened. And when they cut to a talking head or several characters talking heads, to have them say some quip, it's 100% of the time, a shite unfunny, nothing.

Most of the jokes are: Character says a thing. Other character corrects them. Awkward pause. Look to camera.

As someone said here, I feel that style has been absolutely ran into the ground.
I hate that Matt Berry yells, "BAT!" when he turns into a bat. Tash Demetriou is pretty good, but there's just too much bland nothing commentary between the slightly funny bits to justify any of it. The energy vampire, on the fence a bit: The joke is a bit simple, but fair enough, on the other hand, why do they need a character like this in a show about vampires?

I've stuck with the first series, I'm near the end now, so I guess I'll see it through. Huffing and puffing and rolling my eyes the whole way through the whole fucking ordeal, of course. What was the deal with the random cameos of quite famous people? Just felt totally irrelevant. I don't watch much American sitcoms or anything, is this a thing over there? Just throw in a few famous people when you've got fuck all else to offer? Is that what SNL is?

NoSleep

I was hoping to see some improvement in the 2nd season but it's still exactly the same problems as the 1st. Disappointing.

Small Man Big Horse

There's been more hot sexy season 2 chat here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,79495.0.html - I've been quite liking it surprisingly, after having a fair few issues with the first season.

olliebean

Quote from: McFlymo on May 05, 2020, 02:08:42 PM
Late to the party here, but just to chip in: Perhaps lockdown adding to my mood, but I have found this excruciatingly bad. The talking heads explaining the story - I get that that's the style of documentaries and reality TV, but fuck sake, every fucking time the plot moves forward an inch: Another 30 seconds of someone explaining what's happened. And when they cut to a talking head or several characters talking heads, to have them say some quip, it's 100% of the time, a shite unfunny, nothing.

Obvious things I've only just realised: This is essentially Modern Family with vampires.