Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Friday Night Dinner - Series 5

Started by olliebean, May 04, 2018, 08:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Heads up, this starts tonight at 10pm. Surprised there wasn't already a thread for it.

Utter Shit

Can't wait. Always great fun. Shit on iiiiiit.

Lemming

Love this show, but had no idea it was back tonight. Guess I'm catching it on Channel 4+1 since I've missed the first 10 minutes.

Utter Shit

God I forgot how good it is. Completely bonkers. More Mark Heap than usual, which as always is a very good thing.

Lemming

That was great. I think the show works best when Adam and Jonny are united against their parents and the supporting characters, as opposed to fighting each other, so it's good to see that series 5 might be bringing some of that dynamic back. I haven't watched it since it aired so I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that series 4 had them at each other's throats a little too much.

I feel like they're in danger of overusing Jim, though. Mark Heap is fantastic in the role, but I hope this episode is the largest single dose we'll be getting of him this series. I prefer it when there's a problem-of-the-week to sort out and Jim arrives halfway through, makes the situation much worse for the family, and then leaves before the episode's end.

Jonny just repeating strange things people have said in a monotone voice is my favourite joke in this show. "Internet food".

steveh

Still chuckling at the episode this morning. Jim at the restaurant table on his own was so perfectly played and the absurdity of Wilson savaging the furniture was wonderful.

"I'm not eating internet food" was great

tookish

Triumphant return. I loved Jim's bluffing about his sister - and his sneezing fit at the table had me guffawing. I knew he'd end up in the hot toilet at the end, but I kind of love that about his character - you know he's going to end up reappearing in increasingly uncomfortable ways. 
Like Lemming, though, I do hope we get smaller doses of Jim for the rest of the series. I love Mark Heap, and Jim's a great character, but I prefer him popping over rather than visiting for the whole night. I'm also looking forward to seeing Grandma and Val - might be too much to hope for Mr. Morris, who remains my favourite secondary character.

Lemming

Episode 2 was brilliant. "NICK SLATER"

you could see it coming a mile off, but I still scream-laughed at the abrupt cut from "it's fine. it's delicious" to the ambulance

TMJ

I didn't completely get into last week's episode (as something felt a bit off to me, for some reason), but laughed like a maniac tonight. Paul Ritter was exceptional throughout, and the end line was the perfect cherry on the cake. Felt like an old school episode and all the better for it.

Considering we're five series in, it's amazing how consistent the show continues to be.

Utter Shit

These last two episodes might be my favourite of the entire run. Dont even have anything to add really, it's just hilarious and completely mad. I love that there is basically zero character development.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Why didn't Johnny just tell his boss that Adam jumbled up the keys? I hate that kind of plot.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 13, 2018, 03:43:04 PM
Why didn't Johnny just tell his boss that Adam jumbled up the keys? I hate that kind of plot.

Don't think that excuse would have made a difference. It wouldn't have helped find the right key and Johnny has still indirectly made his boss look like a chump in front of the customers.

Lemming

Third episode wasn't bad, a little broader than usual maybe.

The show did actually get me to think there really was going to be a secondary surprise party when they returned to the flooded kitchen, so the reveal shot of the completely fucked kitchen with everyone pathetically trying to bail water was superb

Chicken Man was kind of forced but I got a laugh out of him anyway. That's some of the most perfect casting I've ever seen for a role. The guy playing him simply is Chicken Man

up_the_hampipe

I loved the guy obsessed with the chicken. Stupid but played well.

olliebean

In our house, Chicken Man was quickly dubbed Dobby DeVito.

PlasticTom

I loved Martin using the word "shitting" in his texts. It's all wonderful as usual. I think you could make a case for this being one of the most consistently funny comedies of the last 10-15 years. Not as layered as something like Grandma's House, but you get the feeling they could keep churning out enough series of this that it could rival Peep Show for longevity and quality.

The Duck Man

Why is it always dark when they arrive? Do they not fancy doing some summer episodes?

What with the family being Jewish too, it seems at the Goodman household, like Narnia, it is always winter but never Christmas.

imitationleather

Isn't there an entire episode about how they celebrate Christmas and everyone apart from the mum thinks it's a bit weird on account of them being Jewish?

I've been cracking up all day remembering "Wilson's just having his cola." Amazing.

Lemming

"Those were the good old days, eh?"

"Yeah. But now it's the BAD OLD DAYS."

Porter Dimi

That was fucking ridiculous and I loved it.

Utter Shit

I love this stupid show so much.

saltysnacks

So this is actually good? The adverts make it look awful (which happens often, I know).

saltysnacks

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 25, 2018, 10:52:17 PM
Yes.

Okay, definitely going to give it a chance. Rarely does a CaB comedy rec leave me disappointed.

Utter Shit

It was a bit of a grower to be fair, I remember enjoying the first series but not really giving it a second thought once it was over, but over time it's grown and grown and now I really look forward to every episode.

TBH you'll only need an episode or two to decide if you like it, every episode is pretty similar (while never feeling like it's going over old ground).

PlasticTom

So many nice little touches in this. Martin's little dance as he rushes out of the room to get the puppet, then Jackie downing a glass of wine before Martin's wonderful truth-telling-via-puppet to Ben. Also, Mark Heap moving his lips.

Porter Dimi

Still laughing thinking about that episode today. "The butter's off!"