Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:26:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The best soap arcs/eras

Started by willy crossit, May 05, 2018, 07:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psmith

Ena Sharples and Elsie Tanner having shouting matches in the street and the pub.
Dirty Den being dirty
Brookside getting destroyed by a plane.Or was that Emmerdale?
Anyway, they've all had good disasters.

jobotic

When Henry in Neighbours got lumbered with a load of bottles of Liquid Beauty and had trouble shifting them.

And when Kerry died. I cried.

lebowskibukowski

Grange Hill. All of it, but particularly the Gonch Gardner/Danny Kendall/Trevor Cleaver years. Vague memories of one of the bullies seemingly always walking around in an American football helmet. And some supposedly cool twat with massive jug ears, in a leather jacket. Halcyon days indeed.

Hat FM

the calvin/brendan/warren days in Hollyoaks were glorious.

i would link to the calvin v warren fight that took place all over the village but i'm at work...

edit to say it was actually warren v brendan. highlights being brendan fitting warren over the head with a massive plant pot and pushing him into the jacuzzi.

Cloud

Talking of Neighbours, a few memories from that:

Harold Bishop "dying" and then years later just sort of washing up on the beach with no memory.  They had the whole lead-up with rumours of him being spotted, then followed through for a while where he regained his memory over time

Karl's affair, with Karl and Susan having been the equivalent of Kevin and Sally on Coro where it just seemed like the characters you'd least expect to break up

Lou Carpenter's mrs  (something Stark).  All of a sudden one day she had a new actress, her hair turned red and she became more grumpy looking.  Eventually the original actress returned and the character was ran over and killed like a week later

ollyboro

Quote from: buttgammon on May 08, 2018, 11:47:02 PM
Perhaps my favourite Eastenders moment of all time is Nick Cotton's arrival the last time he came back. "Hello ma," long pause... "happy Halloween!" I swear he found out that episode was due to be broadcast on Halloween and ad libbed it.

Years ago I remember Nasty Nick making one of his many returns. One of the first thing he said was something like, "So what's been happening around here? Has Kathy been raped again?" Fucking Hell.

sevendaughters

- Fred Elliott and Alec Gilroy's running beef was brilliantly waspish and camp.
- the Tyrone beating beaten by his missus arc was incredibly well done, Fiz as saviour, there's one episode where she bursts into tears and says "Ty, let me love you!", it was like a dam breaking in my heart.
- I also thought the last days of Hayley were profound and incredibly well-handled, Lark Ascending on Radio 3, stillness in the air.

Gulftastic

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on May 09, 2018, 07:46:52 AM
Grange Hill. All of it, but particularly the Gonch Gardner/Danny Kendall/Trevor Cleaver years. Vague memories of one of the bullies seemingly always walking around in an American football helmet. And some supposedly cool twat with massive jug ears, in a leather jacket. Halcyon days indeed.

I watched The Hill from day one. I even vaguely remember a feature on Blue Peter before the first ep had aired. It was pretty much gold, until the era you speak of with the school bullies running around in American Football gear.

It had loads of great characters and plots. Tucker and his crew, Stewpot Roland etc,,,Zammo and Jonah's mob.

Gripper's reign of terror and his eventual demise is the high point for me. It was much watch at that point.

Mister Six

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 07, 2018, 02:14:29 AM
Odd name, isn't it. Dierdre. Sounds odd, looks odd written.

She's where Dr Dre got his name from.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Mister Six on May 09, 2018, 03:12:49 PM
She's where Dr Dre got his name from.

We've got a cat called Dr Dre. Of course we just used to call him Ray before that fateful trip to the vets to have his bits off.

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 09, 2018, 02:38:56 PM
I watched The Hill from day one. I even vaguely remember a feature on Blue Peter before the first ep had aired. It was pretty much gold, until the era you speak of with the school bullies running around in American Football gear.

It had loads of great characters and plots. Tucker and his crew, Stewpot Roland etc,,,Zammo and Jonah's mob.

Gripper's reign of terror and his eventual demise is the high point for me. It was much watch at that point.

The American football guy was 'Mauler' McCall a much less dangerous version of Booga Benson/ Gripper Stebson.

And I would say the gold period ended towards the very tail end of what I call 'the Gonch Years' when sixth formers started to take up too much space (this shit period also coincides, like everyone's, with when I finished watching it). The Gonch era had Mr Bronson, the majority of Mrs McKlusky's reign, Danny Kendall, faked ghosts, donkeys, failed Gonch scams aplenty, laughable scrotes Trevor Cleaver and Vince Savage, Imelda Davies (and her gang the Terror Hawks!). You can't tell me that isn't golden!

biggytitbo

The Ian Beale moustache plot arc was compelling.

yesitsme

Has anyone said the nineteenth month arc of what to do with Uncle Albert's sideboard yet?

How about Stan Ogden being 'upstairs, bumping about' and of course who can forget Brian Tyldsley dipping his toast in his tea.

The dirty cunt.

No wonder it's the nation's favourite!

biggytitbo

Hilda Ogden going on the game was pretty bleak, although with it being Corrie they largely played it for laughs.

Golden E. Pump

[TAG]Mae Young gives birth to a hand.[/TAG]

wooders1978

I really got into the Martin kemp (spandeau ballet geezer) - accidental death of girlfriend and blaming it on the young fella storyline in Enders

wooders1978

sillymisslily

80s Corrie was a glorious time.
Albert getting Ken's car towed away because it was German.
The Percy Sugden Formation Dance Team, where Percy assembles the Street's OAPs into a ballroom dance squad so he can get his end away with Hilda, even though she fancies Sally's Uncle Tom instead.
Brian's obsession with Macclesfield.
Everything Jack and Vera ever did.
The mess that is pre-second marriage Derek Wilton.

This is the best moment of TV ever. www.youtube.com/watch?v=90-BqZ2ZAOE

Gulftastic

This was a tremendous scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrI8rinEnGk

Great acting all round, but especially from Bill Tarmey.

Nobody Soup

for me it was the Karl and Sarah affair in neighbours.

it was extremely light touch, everything about how they got together and then when they got together, and then the fall out... man I sure was invested in that.

the best is how years later as Sarah was getting married Karl got off with her. it was amazing.

it sounds shit though, doesn't it?

non capisco

Ailsa from Home And Away going hatstand and seeing Bobby's ghost looming out of the fridge.

Joe Wicks (not the modern day diet one) from Eastenders going hatstand and covering everything in tin foil and attempting to jump out of the window while playing 'The Ace Of Spades' by Motorhead after hallucinating Grant Mitchell manifesting himself as Satan. A classic soap depiction of mental illness, definitely worth the two seconds of research they did on that.

Ro-land from Grange Hill finally having his absolute bloody fill of being bullied. The excellent actor Erkan Mustafa was allowed to demonstrate his range during this harrowing, relatable sequence where Ro-Land bunks off home and sits impassively eating chocolate and watching 'Camberwick Green'. Some may say a dramatic stepping stone to Zammo's heroin antics.

Cerys

I think I'll always have a place in my heart for the time Hollyoaks Rickrolled its audience.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Cerys on May 10, 2018, 02:50:28 AM
I think I'll always have a place in my heart for the time Hollyoaks Rickrolled its audience.

They've recently nearly done that again as lovely Kim has been locked in a derelict school for months with only a Rick Astley poster to talk to.

Bazooka

Beale and Mitchell goes without saying, Arthur going berserk in his living room and smashing the place to bits was also good.

Dolly Clackett

I'll always have a fondness for the life and times of Janine Butcher c.2002, back when she was grubby and desperate and her best possible option presented itself in the form of Paul Truman. It was never quite the same when she returned.

Bogbrainedmurphy

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 08, 2018, 11:27:16 PM

Please tell me you follow McFadden's Cold War on Twitter... please tell me you all do. Deserves its own thread it's that good. Daily gold.

Bazooka

Quote from: Bogbrainedmurphy on May 10, 2018, 11:05:27 AM
Please tell me you follow McFadden's Cold War on Twitter... please tell me you all do. Deserves its own thread it's that good. Daily gold.

Fuck me, I love you that is brilliant. Please tell me you know about http://www.utterphilth.com/.

Dr Syntax Head

McFadden's Cold War is a thing of great beauty

lebowskibukowski

Anyone know if there is a 'Frank Butcher naked bar the spinning bow tie' GIF? I need it in my life...

imitationleather

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on May 10, 2018, 04:34:45 PM
Anyone know if there is a 'Frank Butcher naked bar the spinning bow tie' GIF? I need it in my life...