Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:53:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Foster Wallace

Started by Famous Mortimer, May 05, 2018, 09:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Looks like he's about to get his name dragged through the mud, according to his ex girlfriend's Twitter. Not sure why today
, but... For fucks sake, male artists I like, stop doing this please.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Z

He's surely one of those "obviously a total mess of a person so it's kinda hard to drag down" kind of people, no?

Anyways, I liked Consider the Lobster a lot, and, halfway through Infinite Jest, I like the bits that read like articles and the bits about tennis, I hate the board game.

sevendaughters

fvkk i expected more of this guy

garbed_attic

I'm surprised this hasn't happened with many of the autobio comics men like Joe Matt, Chester Brown, Crumb and esp. David Heatley. If you take them at their word (and picture) then they're undisguised abusers.

As for David Foster Wallace, his abusive behaviour was alluded to (but rarely detailed) in D.T. Max's biography.

falafel

Yeah, I think you'd have to be pretty naive or disingenuous to be surprised or outraged if anything came to light now. It's up to whoever if they think there is value in raking him through the dirt but in the case of someone who suffered as much as DFW did I would be uncomfortable with him being savaged outright. There's no excuse for abuse but if we can't have a degree of compassion for someone whose depression ultimately led to suicide, then humanity isn't worth a damn. (edited to remove undue speculation)

Edit: lazily waited to read Twitter till after posting. Well, fuck me, that sounds horrendous. I would hold that the major problem is with the culture of silence and tacit acceptance that has made it too difficult or pointless to make a noise about. I mean, who wants to be seen as a muse for someone that regularly abused or exploited them? Who wants to be asked questions about their creative genius? Who wants their life experience to be commuted to a series of 'allegations'?

A nasty mess, and emblematic of the shit that men - collectively, culturally, not in the singular, because stalkers come from both sides of the aisle - have been getting away with forever.

saltysnacks

Wasn't he an habitual stalker? DFW being a sex pest wouldn't shock me at all.