Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:58:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Netflix own-brand movie recommendation thread

Started by kidsick5000, May 07, 2018, 01:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

There's a general discussion about the nature of these, but I figured why not have a super handy list of the ones to check out.

Can't trust Netflix's own recommendations. The cheeky bastards sent me an email saying they think I'd like Paul Blart Mall Cop 2! 2! Not even the bloody original. The even further panned sequel! (no, haven't watched any Sandler or James stuff. Unless it's watching Chris Rock's stand-up that did it)

Aaaanyway.

Psychokinesis.
Korean film with a heart-breaking start with gang violence.
From there it's very much like an off-shoot of the tv show Heroes, but with a super-condensed plot.
Out of nowhere, a schlubby divorced middle-aged guy gets the power of telekinesis. first thought is to get out of his dead end job by becoming a magic act. But then he decides to use his powers to get his grown-up daughter back in his life and stand-up to a bunch of shits.
Pretty good, in that way Asian and European films often just let stuff happen. There's no why or wherefore, no Hollywood sense of how this figure stands in the grand scheme of things. He gets powers, he uses them.

Trailer, though be warned. It gives away a fair bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MClKJcS417g

VelourSpirit

I had a great time with Death Note. It's 'bad' but it's fun. I haven't watched the anime.
I don't know if they've devloped anything properly great yet but they did two Herzog documentaries and let Errol Morris do a miniseries, so I think they're on the right track.

Paaaaul

Herzog only done gone done one Netflix doc.

momatt

Annihilation is really good I thought.  Really beautiful to look at, with some great action scenes.  Reminded me a bit of Under the Skin, in that nothing was really underlined, but made you think about life and stuff.

Plus probably helps that I'd happily watch Natalie Portman waiting for a bus for two hours.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It seemed to be very divisive, but I thought it was pretty darn good. Maybe a little too reminiscent of Under the Skin for its own good, but perfectly cromulent on its own merits.

Okja was ace. I haven't got around to watching any of their other films - figure they're never going to get deleted, so I should watch everything else in my list first.

momatt

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 08, 2018, 12:12:14 PM
It seemed to be very divisive, but I thought it was pretty darn good. Maybe a little too reminiscent of Under the Skin for its own good, but perfectly cromulent on its own merits.

Interesting that you thought the same thing.

I'd not heard/read anyone else make this comparison.  There aren't really any direct similarities, just a similar floaty sense of beautiful dread around the whole thing.
Plus they both have ladies I fancy in them.  But that could go for almost any film really.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: momatt on May 08, 2018, 01:59:49 PM
Interesting that you thought the same thing.

I'd not heard/read anyone else make this comparison. 

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on March 13, 2018, 03:21:27 PM
It was very good I thought, influences as mentioned above and maybe just a hint of Under the Skin in there too. I loved the bit where she was like "Annihilation!"

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't have an original thought in my pretty little head, so I'm sure it must be a fairly common opinion. As you say, momatt, it's more about the feel of it than any specific plot similarities.

momatt

True, I'm not surprised that others thought the same, but quite pleased that I came to the conclusion on my own.
I also rarely have original thoughts.

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on May 08, 2018, 03:56:15 PM
I loved the bit where she was like "Annihilation!"

Me too!
Always reminds me of this Family Guy scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8mYLi3PGOc

Sebastian Cobb

Not one of Netflix's own ones, but seeing as you all have Netflix I thought it important that I tell you Foxy Brown is on there.

phantom_power

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Any More is ace
A Futile and Stupid Gesture is pretty good as a potted history of National Lampoon
The Meyerowitz Stories is supposed to be good but I haven't seen it, as is Mudbound
And of course The Cloverfield Paradox is a sci-fi classic on a par with 2001, Blade Runner and Space Truckers

Norton Canes

Time travel paradox thriller ARQ is pretty good.

gib

Quote from: phantom_power on May 08, 2018, 08:47:25 PM
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Any More is ace

Watched this, based on your post. Fucking loved it, so thank you very much phantom_power.

phantom_power

Quote from: gib on May 16, 2018, 10:49:58 PM
Watched this, based on your post. Fucking loved it, so thank you very much phantom_power.

You're welcome, though I only watched it myself based on someone's review on here so I am just a link in the chain