Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:40:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands singing about going to school

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, May 07, 2018, 06:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 08, 2018, 01:11:26 PM
'Lord Anthony' is another one, from later in their career. "Bunking off, though you're a toff' is a contender for worst B&S line ever.

I believe it was written around the same time as the first LP batch though. One they held back.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 08, 2018, 01:11:26 PM
'Lord Anthony' is another one, from later in their career. "Bunking off, though you're a toff' is a contender for worst B&S line ever.

That's one of Murdoch's early songs, written during, or shortly after, the long period of illness mentioned on the previous page. They just never got around to recording it properly until 2003.

EDIT: As ajsmith2 just said. Soz.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 08, 2018, 01:18:46 PM
That's one of Murdoch's early songs, written during, or shortly after, the long period of illness mentioned on the previous page. They just never got around to recording it properly until 2003.

EDIT: As ajsmith2 just said. Soz.

tbf, I probably only knew that fact from reading the book you literally wrote about the band.

Crabwalk

Thanks for the background info, both of you!

(Must get round to reading that book...)

studpuppet

A couple of bleaker school-related offerings from King Of The Slums:

Once A Prefect

Schooley

ajsmith2

Sport (The Odd Boy) is a top Molesworth public school type tune by the Bonzo Dog Band, written by the humbly upbrung Vivian Stanshall.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 08, 2018, 01:28:36 PM
Thanks for the background info, both of you!

(Must get round to reading that book...)

It was probably pulped years ago.

Sebastian Cobb

Julie the Schoolie by The Macc Ladds.

Pauline Walnuts

I don't wanna go to school
I just wanna break the rules
Boys and girls across the world
Putting on our dancing shoes
Going to the discotheque
Getting high and getting wrecked
I don't wanna go to school
I just wanna break the rules

Charli, you're 23, you don't have to go to school anymore. And they haven't been called Discotheques for 35 years.

Captain Crunch

I love this little throwaway one by Redd Kross After School Special

And yeah, you tell 'em man Ride - Not Fazed

Gulftastic

biggytitbo

The ultimate school song is how to be invisible by Kate Bush, as always, she got what it was like to be an outsider

QuoteIs that the wind from the desert song?
Is that the autumn leaf falling?
Or is that you walking home?
Is that a storm in the swimming pool?

slavestate

Deftones - Back to School - complete with video set in a school
Korn - Clown - complete with video set in a school
Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag - complete with video etc.

Campbell Soupe

Epic slab of dour bleakness (and some great twang from J Marr):

This must be the place I waited years to leave

That's what going to school with Sting does to you...

Mr Banlon

Dr Rock

Bitch School by Spinal Tap

High School by MC5

Jeremy by Pearl Jam

The Logical Song by Supertramp

At least one verse of Hot Chocolate's It Started With A Kiss.

DukeDeMondo

I've often wondered about this. People like Kurt Cobain or whoever still banging on about the jocks and this sort of thing well into their twenties. I think it might partly be down to them finding their creative groove in their late teens, when all of that stuff is still raw, and then they get successful on the back of the things they created in that sort of headspace and it sticks, somehow, they get locked into it.

Not that there's anything particularly wrong with adults talking about these things or drawing from those experiences well after the fact. Never did John Hughes any harm that I know of.

Anyway my favourite in this particular genre is "The Saturday Boy" by Billy Bragg.

Could sound all weird and off - "...the way she rubbed herself against the edge of my desk" - but it doesn't at all. It's just really, really sweet. Lovely altogether.

mrfridge

Jockice

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 09, 2018, 08:21:08 PM
'Centrefold' by J. Geils Band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqDjMZKf-wg

Those soft fluffy sweaters too magical to touch. A line connected in my head forever with my second big teenage crush (the one I'm not going out with now) because she was in the sixth form and not restricted by school uniform, so used to wear mohair jumpers. The orange one was my favourite. Er, sorry, I got distracted there....

Schooldays by Starjets.
There Is Always Something There To Remind Me by The Housemartins.

jobotic

Karma to Duke De Mondo - how did I forget that? Can still sing every line of it.

Sport (the Odd Boy) is a great shout too.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: jobotic on May 12, 2018, 10:42:53 AM
Karma to Duke De Mondo - how did I forget that? Can still sing every line of it.

It's just beautiful, isn't it? "I never understood my failings then / And I hide my humble hopes now."

It isn't his only great Going To School song. I forgot about The Other One.

Head Gardener

School's Out and Another Brick in the Wall are surely the two biggest anti-school anthems.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on May 12, 2018, 10:34:55 AM
Those soft fluffy sweaters too magical to touch. A line connected in my head forever with my second big teenage crush (the one I'm not going out with now) because she was in the sixth form and not restricted by school uniform, so used to wear mohair jumpers. The orange one was my favourite. Er, sorry, I got distracted there....

Fuzzy not fluffy. I realised my error while out at someone's birthday do last night and wasn't able to change it till now. As far as I know Debbie **** never became a centrefold (or centerfold), although she should have done with assets like that.

Bazooka

Busted- That's What I Go To School For, they even took the time to give specific reasons for why they go.

Vodka Margarine

This far in and no mention of 'Spanish Dance Troupe' by Gorky's Zygotic Mynci?