Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:04:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Childish Gambino Single 'This Is America'

Started by Golden E. Pump, May 07, 2018, 11:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 16, 2018, 11:31:24 PM
People want it to be a parody because trap is a virus swallowing mainstream hip-hop, making mumbling lazy fools very rich by utilising talented producers. There's some trap songs I enjoy, but that's entirely in spite of the "artist" attached to them.
Alternatively, it's a period of time in which producers are starting to take over things, finding they're able to work to their best instincts with more malleable front people . Virtually every big trap(ish) hit begins with a producer's signature sound.

Mind you, I'm a big hip hop fan who basically never pays attention to the lyrical content.

Quote from: Twed on May 16, 2018, 11:42:42 PM
I like trap, vaporwave and most genres that are popular but don't necessitate any particular artistry. It's about what'saesthetically pleasing as opposed to some over-arching cultural element that needs to exist to justify the value of the music. It's immediate.

FTFY

Twed

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 17, 2018, 11:58:11 PM
FTFY
Heh, yeah, I was a bit self-aware of using that word in that context, but it is genuinely what fits and I enjoy the purity of that.

Noodle Lizard

I agree with whoever said the song doesn't stand up without the video.  It's a fun video for sure, though not quite the revelation I'd been led to expect (isn't that what hype does, though?)  Bizarrely, it does feel like something designed to appeal to a certain class of artsy white people, and that certainly seems to be the demographic it's landed with, but perhaps that was the point?

As for Glover's creative output, I really only have this and the first season of Atlanta to judge.  It was kind of a similar thing, I found the show decent enough (if flawed, some plots drag on a bit and go nowhere) but couldn't reconcile my experience of it with the hype it got.  Must give his stand-up a go.  It's certainly impressive that he's managed to be successful in so many capacities at a fairly young age, with no obvious leg-up that I know of.  I can't think of anyone else who's managed that recently.

Twed

He looks hot as hell in the video, doesn't he? I'm essentially hetero, but fuck.

phantom_power

I think the song is less "important" without the video but it is catchy as fuck. I have had it stuck in my head since it came out.

Noodle, give Awaken My Love a listen if you have a chance, or just the single Redbone. It is brilliant (Brilliant!)

Noodle Lizard

I'm not really a fan of this new-fangled style of hip-hop anyway - I'm sure a friend of mine has played me some CG a few times which elicited no more than a shrug from me - but I'll give it a go.

Quote from: Twed on May 18, 2018, 04:01:18 AM
He looks hot as hell in the video, doesn't he? I'm essentially hetero, but fuck.

He's defiantly a man crush, I think it's all the talents as well.

Cuellar

phantom_power

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 18, 2018, 09:16:11 AM
I'm not really a fan of this new-fangled style of hip-hop anyway - I'm sure a friend of mine has played me some CG a few times which elicited no more than a shrug from me - but I'll give it a go.

Awaken My Love isn't hip hop. It is soul/funk

I really fucking dislike the name Childish Gambino.

Use of a Wu-Tang generator to find a name does not exclude it from sounding shit. Can you keep entering names until you find a good one or is your result final?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Cuellar on May 18, 2018, 09:29:36 AM
Yeah Redbone is a bona fide belter.

Genuinely one of the most deservedly overplayed tunes of recent years. Absolute fucking scorcher. Whenever I see it as someone's Spotify "anthem" on Tinder, I'm like, yeah, you know what, fair fucking play.

I should get off Tinder though.

Mister Six

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 18, 2018, 03:24:40 AM
Bizarrely, it does feel like something designed to appeal to a certain class of artsy white people, and that certainly seems to be the demographic it's landed with, but perhaps that was the point.

I'm a member of a massive black need group on Facebook (there are non-disclosure nerds on there too) and he's received near-universal love from them, especially with Kanye going MAGA.

It's getting praise in a lot of black mags and sites too, like The Root.

hermitical

Quote from: Mister Six on May 19, 2018, 05:20:23 AM
non-disclosure nerds

For fear of displaying my middle aged cluelessness, could you just explain to me what this means?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Don't think I'm cut out for the hip-hop world tbh

Fair play to Don though, it's a good vid

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on May 19, 2018, 07:46:49 PM
Don't think I'm cut out for the hip-hop world tbh

Fair play to Don though, it's a good vid

Peterborough eh? Was the coolest edgiest town in the land when I lived there.

Rocket Surgery

Y'know, for a track that doesn't stand up without the video I've been blasting this rather a lot this week.

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on May 20, 2018, 02:38:24 PM
Y'know, for a track that doesn't stand up without the video I've been blasting this rather a lot this week.

The video plays in my head everytime I hear the song.

Rocket Surgery

Fair point. That first drop from jubilant gospel/hilife into droning trap menace would surely be less effective if I didn't have the image of that "surprise" gunshot already seared into my memory.

Still tho...

Dr Rock

I really like it. The video is great. Played it a few times now and seeking out more of his stuff.

mothman

Quote from: non capisco on May 09, 2018, 12:23:02 AM
All the 'Awaken, My Love!' album. And watch Atlanta, the current run of which is some pretty jaw dropping TV.

Thanks, I saw BBC2 had started the latter so am stockpiling.

saltysnacks

I don't know why the studio track doesn't contain the gunshots, they're essential.

Mister Six

Quote from: hermitical on May 19, 2018, 10:15:53 AM
For fear of displaying my middle aged cluelessness, could you just explain to me what this means?

Phone auto-corrected non-black, a word it didn't recognise, to the last "non-" I'd inputted. Apologies for confusion.

hermitical

cheers, just thought it was another young person's thing I had no idea about!

Brundle-Fly

Is that tweet from the Gambino camp? White bloggers? I'm confused.