Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:39:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Childish Gambino Single 'This Is America'

Started by Golden E. Pump, May 07, 2018, 11:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

The two songs are similar enough (they'd probably be more so if Jase Harley had better production quality his disposal too)  but it's neither a particularly obscure topic or overall sound. Seems like it'd a coincidence to me.

kitsofan34

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 26, 2018, 12:29:41 PM
Is that tweet from the Gambino camp? White bloggers? I'm confused.

Fam Rothstein is Gambino's manager and long term creative partner.

QDRPHNC

At most you could say it was influenced. Doesn't sound like plagiarism.

Edit: Remember when Bieber and Skrillex were accused of plagiarizing part of Sorry from a superficially similar indie song? So Skrillex posted this rather satisfying bit of pwnage.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: kitsofan34 on June 26, 2018, 03:23:04 PM

Ah right. I believe Rothstein then after listening to them both again. I mentioned earlier in the thread how much it also reminds me in spirit of Television (Drug Of The Nation) by Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy.

Ferris

Quote from: kitsofan34 on June 26, 2018, 03:23:04 PM

Why is he knocking Toronto? Smeg-head move.

momatt

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 26, 2018, 03:31:00 PM
At most you could say it was influenced. Doesn't sound like plagiarism.

Definitely.  They're more similar than I expected, but I don't think Glover's lawyers should be too worried.

Quote from: momatt on June 27, 2018, 10:46:48 AM
Definitely.  They're more similar than I expected, but I don't think Glover's lawyers should be too worried.

I agree, but who knows these days - I can't believe Right Said Feed got a credit on that Taylor Swift song.

up_the_hampipe

Two new pleasant summer tracks from Gambino (or whoever he ripped them off from, lol) https://soundcloud.com/childish-gambino/tracks

magval

I had a theory.

Haven't looked into the plagiarism accusations much. At all really.

But.

Maybe it's all part of it. Part of the statement. He stole the song, 'appropriated' it, even, and made it something else. Took the crude raw material and used his stablished polish and fancy dancing to make it gigantic.

Imagine he just copped to it immediately, soon as it was caught on to, and said yes, this TOO is America. This thing, I have nicked it, and tried to get away with it. America. Now I've been caught, and made to say I am sorry. America.

Here is your new champion. Look at his good music. An amazing statement, like.

Imagine.

That was my theory, but too much time has passed and it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

alan nagsworth

Clownbaby

I feel like both the songs are very familiar sounding hip hop songs that conform to a lot of the standard modern hip hop tropes and I've heard a lot of songs that sound way more similar to each other than these two do

hummingofevil

I've been watching the 02 clips and can't quite work him out. I need you all to do me a favour in the way that only CaB can but I can't do it right now. I want a line-by-line break down of This Is America.