Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:21:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Childish Gambino Single 'This Is America'

Started by Golden E. Pump, May 07, 2018, 11:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: bgmnts on May 08, 2018, 02:32:35 PM
All he needs is Keenan Ivory Wayans to pop up halfway through his song and shout "MESSAGE!"

It's cliched to be cynical on CaB

sweeper

Quote from: phantom_power on May 08, 2018, 02:33:15 PM
Why do there need to be theories about the video? I thought it was pretty obvious what it was saying

There's a lot of symbolism intended with the choice of dance moves, clothing, scenes etc. that aren't explained and aren't all obvious to everyone (me included - I couldn't identify a pair of confederate trousers)

madhair60

i didn't even latch onto the message that much, i just thought it fucking rocked

Howj Begg

I liked it. But I like the man Glover. I appreciated his snl skits too. I don't think the song is strong enough to live without the video, but I may be proved wrong about that. The video is fab though. At first I thought he was beging overly theatrical in his choreography, moves etc but Genius enlightened me that he was imitating Jim Crow sterotypes, and then popular dances of the youtube era, Clive. It's also very funny besides being dark as hell. The man just has comedic talent, which for me is his strongest suit.

Quote from: madhair60 on May 08, 2018, 01:58:25 PM
As if I'm listening to someone who calls themselves "Chidish Gambino"

Heads call him Bino, apparently.

phantom_power

Quote from: sweeper on May 08, 2018, 02:35:46 PM
There's a lot of symbolism intended with the choice of dance moves, clothing, scenes etc. that aren't explained and aren't all obvious to everyone (me included - I couldn't identify a pair of confederate trousers)

Oh yeah I am sure there are intricacies in there that I have missed but the general gist is obvious.

Cuellar

Quote from: sweeper on May 08, 2018, 02:35:46 PM

Yes, I oblivious to the Jim Crow reference when he shoots the guitarist in the head at the beginning, for instance. Probably lots more, but I haven't got em.

Was vaguely aware of what Jim Crow was, but this made me read up on it (on wikipedia at least).

sweeper

Quote from: phantom_power on May 08, 2018, 02:45:55 PM
Oh yeah I am sure there are intricacies in there that I have missed but the general gist is obvious.

That's my review of Moby Dick on Goodreads. Three stars.

Bazooka

Solid video, sound wise very underwhelming for me.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 08, 2018, 02:40:47 PM
i didn't even latch onto the message that much, i just thought it fucking rocked

I liked the dancing!

phantom_power

It has been stuck in my head since I first heard it and that doesn't happen often with me. That doesn't necessarily denote quality but it is fucking catchy. That isn't to say that I think it isn't good though

momatt

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 08, 2018, 02:16:49 PM
I'm trying to think of someone who is as average on so many fronts. Richard Blackwood? No, not even Richard Blackwood.

Harsh!
Well I love Donald and I want to have his babies.  You won't change my mind.

He's not the best at all of these things, but I really enjoy everything I've seen him do.  Even if he was just average at all those things, it's pretty impressive
His last album is really good.  Not stopped listening to it since it came out.

Quote from: bgmnts on May 08, 2018, 02:21:07 PM
Me.
Prove it.

Quote from: Neomod on May 08, 2018, 02:27:21 PM
There's a massive continuity error in the first minute which ruins the video for me. At 0:47 a guy appears with a hood. Now if you go back to 0:24 and enhance, that same guy has not only no hood but is playing a guitar.

I reckon I could put on a jumper off and put down a guitar in 23 seconds.

up_the_hampipe

Donald Glover gives everything his all, except stand-up.

itsfredtitmus

Kubrick syndrome is kicking in and there's already a billion analysis explanation videos uploaded

madhair60

alan nagsworth

Watched it three times now. Sensational bit of social commentary that says so much whilst Glover actually "says" so little. I also wasn't so aware of the minstrel stuff until I did a bit of reading, and perhaps this, and other visual elements of the video, backs up what others have said about how it may not hold up as simply an album track. But hey, he might surprise ya. Either way I don't really mind, I'm just thrilled that this thing exists.

Large Noise

Not sure what this says that Kanye wasn't saying with more interesting rhymes 15 years ago.

Twit 2

Music video - good.
Music - quite good.
Lyrics - bad.

itsfredtitmus

dont think people like this song for the technical lyrics mate

Twit 2

newbridge

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 08, 2018, 01:37:00 PM
when wokeness becomes part of your brand i just get immediately suspicious. i think there's something ultimately paradoxical about trying to make important statements whilst flagging up how important your statement is. plus the flicking between the ersatz gospel and dark tuff sections - neither of which are terribly compelling! - just felt like a fag packet idea.

Wow, think you 100% missed the entire point he is making, sd.

sevendaughters

Quote from: newbridge on May 08, 2018, 10:09:00 PM
Wow, think you 100% missed the entire point he is making, sd.

errrr don't think art is like a pub quiz actually mate, but try and explain rather than gobbing off

Z

I don't think "wokeness" is part of Glover's brand, he seems like he's battling a fair bit with his own identity in general.

Not very impressed with this anyways, the beat is solid, the rapping is amongst his best I've heard (which is to say a sub-par Drake doing the same thing) and the video's fine; the response to it all is a bit bemusing but not that surprising considering how his rep has quietly grown between the two seasons of Atlanta.

mothman

I know virtually nothing about Donald Glover when I happened to watch this, and I loved it. It's absolutely spot on. Wondering if I need to listen to more of his, and if so what?

non capisco

Quote from: mothman on May 09, 2018, 12:21:22 AM
I know virtually nothing about Donald Glover when I happened to watch this, and I loved it. It's absolutely spot on. Wondering if I need to listen to more of his, and if so what?

All the 'Awaken, My Love!' album. And watch Atlanta, the current run of which is some pretty jaw dropping TV.

newbridge

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 08, 2018, 10:23:02 PM
errrr don't think art is like a pub quiz actually mate, but try and explain rather than gobbing off

Seems quite clearly to be critiquing the two things you have accused it of (commercialization and faux "wokeness"), all while being in the grand tradition of artists who cynically acknowledge the futility of popular culture to actually effect political change.

sevendaughters

Quote from: newbridge on May 09, 2018, 12:57:46 AM
Seems quite clearly to be critiquing the two things you have accused it of (commercialization and faux "wokeness"), all while being in the grand tradition of artists who cynically acknowledge the futility of popular culture to actually effect political change.

not sure it reads like that to me, feels like an earnest piece to me, the imagery seems to suggest the pervasive influence of popular culture does it not? also apologies for getting aggressive last post, was sunburned and drunk.