Author Topic: New Childish Gambino Single 'This Is America'  (Read 7640 times)

itsfredtitmus

• screwdriver lolly
Re: New Childish Gambino Single 'This Is America'
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2018, 08:42:39 AM »
it's just that he's already a widely successful uncontroversial mainstream darling and this song is probably him at the zenith of that.
nooo......

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2018, 04:23:48 PM »
You say 'black people become complicit because playing into those narratives is a way to get rich'. But it seems to me that Glover never had to do that, so he's really critiquing other black artists there.

Yeah. So?

But if gansta rap was always secretly about selling records to suburban white kids, could there be- bear with me here- any chance that he's selling liberal chinstroking to 24-39 New Yorker/Guardian readers?

Or could it be - bear with me here - that Glover is making art based on his own personal viewpoints that is perfectly congruent with his writing on Atlanta and the views he's been expressing in interviews over the past three or so years (at least), and you're trying to finger him as some kind of disingenuous snake oil salesman to justify not enjoying it as much as most other people appear to, when it's really just a case of something not registering with you personally?

saltysnacks

• Hair in ALL the right places.
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2018, 04:26:10 PM »
I like the way it sounds.

itsfredtitmus

• screwdriver lolly
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2018, 04:30:32 PM »
My block, where everything is everything for sheezy

Wet Blanket

• I am the Colour Blind Dog-Thief
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2018, 04:59:30 PM »
It's an amazing video, I've really enjoyed reading some of the analysis unpicking the symbolism, although there's much less analysis of the track itself; the spartan lyrics, such as they are, seem quite enigmatic.

I don't agree with the criticism upthread about it being tediously woke at all. There's an undercurrent of misanthropy there that really lends it its kick. It's a really fascinating piece of work, and Glover seems like a fascinating bloke. I watched the first two episodes of Atlanta on BBC2, which has the same intriguingly ambivalent tone.

I don't know if this makes me a square or not properly appreciating the video, but the dancing is fucking ace, some seriously good choreography there.

Although when it comes to point missing, and if you'd like to cringe so hard you risk a prolapsed anus, have a watch of this 'homage' by Nicole Atbour. I couldn't make it past 1 minute.   

Mister Six

« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2018, 05:28:53 PM »
Nicole Arbour needs to get shot in the face.

There's some decent analysis of the lyrics here: https://genius.com/Childish-gambino-this-is-america-lyrics

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2018, 11:31:04 PM »
Is this a trap sound for people who don't normally listen to trap music

Sorry to pedant, but this isn't trap music by a long stretch.

Also I agree with Wet Blanket above, if you forget about statements and interpretations this is a beautifully shot and choreographed video.

saltysnacks

• Hair in ALL the right places.
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2018, 11:45:24 PM »
I can't stop dancing like him, with my top off.

Large Noise

• Hey there! I am using Whatsapp
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2018, 11:48:07 PM »
Sorry to pedant, but this isn't trap music by a long stretch.

Also I agree with Wet Blanket above, if you forget about statements and interpretations this is a beautifully shot and choreographed video.
Didn't call it trap music, but there's a clear trap influence in the way it sounds.

Better Midlands

« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2018, 12:05:30 AM »
Didn't call it trap music, but there's a clear trap influence in the way it sounds.

Fair enough.

What trap influences do you hear?

Large Noise

• Hey there! I am using Whatsapp
« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2018, 12:37:31 AM »
Fair enough.

What trap influences do you hear?
It sounds like it a stripped back Migos beat, like Bad and Boujee or Slippery. There are any number of examples.

Are you honestly saying you don't hear a trap influence?

DukeDeMondo

• fuck sake
« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2018, 02:22:54 AM »
Someone on Facebook just pointed out that Glover's moves look awfully familiar.

FerriswheelBueller

• Floaters gonna float.
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2018, 02:29:08 AM »
Was well suspicious of this because it’s popular, but it’s actually very good. Will listen again. Nice one.

« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2018, 08:35:22 AM »
I think it is catchy as fuck as well. Keeps popping into my head at various points of the day

Cuellar

• MUSKATNUSS, HERR MULLER
« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2018, 09:10:05 AM »

Haha!

Cuellar

« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2018, 09:15:39 AM »
Although when it comes to point missing, and if you'd like to cringe so hard you risk a prolapsed anus, have a watch of this 'homage' by Nicole Atbour. I couldn't make it past 1 minute.

That is incredibly cringe-tastic. I suppose the justification is irony -'This would be typical of white mainstream culture aping and then erasing black culture. Wouldn't it be terrible if this happened!!' while doing exactly that.

« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2018, 11:29:14 AM »
While the message is quite good, the execution is terrible and the elbowing out one cause to promote another is tone deaf and ham-fisted

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2018, 11:39:30 AM »

I would have loved to hear Glover say “this is fae Maggie” at the start.

« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2018, 11:41:26 AM »
Nicole Arbour's comedy is all about asserting herself over the body of others, and furthermore this is just another example of how on-trend righteousness (ie. wokeness, that's what I mean by it) is just part of branding these days, for all but a very few it is just a way to get noticed. (i credit Glover for sincerity at least) some people will say 'ooh well done, raising the awareness of women's issues', and some will say 'erasing black people as ever!' and i get the Browning out of the drawer and inch it closer to my finger. fucking TEDIOUS. lasted 48 seconds and i presume it didn't get better.

itsfredtitmus

• screwdriver lolly
« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »
better then the original, at least

« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2018, 05:16:00 PM »
Black people in the US are still subject to prejudice, random stops, racial abuse and a racist system and society regardless of how un-gangsta their childhoods or how rich they are. That's part of the message ("You're just a black man in this world").

Glover's also spoken about how being lighter-skinned than his brother (who also writes for Atlanta, and who inspired the line "I scare white people at ATMs, I gotta be a rapper") gave him a skewed view of being a black person in the US. His brother, like a lot of darker-skinned (and therefore more "scary") black people, had a tougher ride.

Anyway, the video isn't just talking about that, it's also talking about how violence against black people is commodified in the US, and how audiences (like yourself) want to see and hear stories of crime and drug use, but how this becomes a distraction from solving the actual issues.

Black people become complicit because playing into those narratives is a way to get rich ("Get your money, black man") and escape the economic ditch that so many black people are trapped in, but in doing so they reinforce that image of black thug culture (the Jim Crow shooting at the start) and become enforcers of their own marginalisation (the Confederate trousers).

And even if they get rich, they're still a black man in this world, a big dog in a cage. Those lines are sung over the Gambino character/Glover running in terror from a mob. Even as someone who exploits/enforces the status quo, he's still subject to the status quo and it's brutality.

I agree that the song isn't that great (it's nowhere near as good as Rebone, for example, which is extraordinary) without the video, but together they're dynamite.

Now this makes the best sense to me out of anything I've read. Thanks for that.

Better Midlands

« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2018, 06:02:17 PM »
It sounds like it a stripped back Migos beat, like Bad and Boujee or Slippery. There are any number of examples.

Are you honestly saying you don't hear a trap influence?

You sound liked you know your shit, much more than me - I've only had a passing interest in hip hop for years and I'm more interested in beats than lyrics, but to me trap is 808 drums and percussion with those rapid fire triplet hi-hats and a lot more repetitive synth based productions.

Mister Six

« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2018, 02:55:53 PM »
Thanks, Manticore!

That is incredibly cringe-tastic. I suppose the justification is irony -'This would be typical of white mainstream culture aping and then erasing black culture. Wouldn't it be terrible if this happened!!' while doing exactly that.

Arbour's a controversy-aping right-wing-teasing turd, so I doubt there was much thought beyond THIS WILL GRT THE SJWS ANGRY AND GET ME CLICKS!!!!! hidden behind a figleaf of progressive identity politics.

Stick her name into Google and you'll get a news report with this charming little quote:

"I'm so sick of people mad at slavery," Arbour, 32, wrote in a since-deleted tweet May 4. "It's the past, we weren't there. We didn't do it. But what we CAN do is fix economic slavery. Focus on the now."

She later made some comments about movies showing black excellence and such, but it's pretty clear she has minimal interest in actually considering the issues, and I suspect her "economic slavery" line was directed more at the wage gap than anything else.

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2018, 03:27:38 PM »
I just tried to watch the Nicole Arbour video and I died within the 30 seconds. Posting from afterlife.

Cuellar

« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2018, 04:03:36 PM »
Thanks, Manticore!

Arbour's a controversy-aping right-wing-teasing turd, so I doubt there was much thought beyond THIS WILL GRT THE SJWS ANGRY AND GET ME CLICKS!!!!! hidden behind a figleaf of progressive identity politics.

Stick her name into Google and you'll get a news report with this charming little quote:

"I'm so sick of people mad at slavery," Arbour, 32, wrote in a since-deleted tweet May 4. "It's the past, we weren't there. We didn't do it. But what we CAN do is fix economic slavery. Focus on the now."

She later made some comments about movies showing black excellence and such, but it's pretty clear she has minimal interest in actually considering the issues, and I suspect her "economic slavery" line was directed more at the wage gap than anything else.

Ah right, I have no idea who she is really. Doesn't sound great tbh.

Saw some chat as to whether the trap elements were parodic, but Glover's always been an outspoken and sincere fan of e.g. Migos hasn't he?

« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »
He has written a whole series that is ostensibly about the trials and tribulations of a trap rapper so I imagine he genuinely likes the music

Z

• The movie, not the TV series, or the book
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2018, 09:48:30 PM »
Why would anyone think it was a parody? That seems like some latent (and dated) snobbery towards southern rap. How do you even parody trap when it stems from stuff like crunk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sweIA3pfklY

Migos have been generally regarded as a pretty cool group from very near their breakout. Southern rap hasn't been perceived that slightly odd cousin of real rap for years and years. There was maybe a bit of it around the time Rick Ross was emerging, that's the last I heard of it.

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2018, 11:31:24 PM »
People want it to be a parody because trap is a virus swallowing mainstream hip-hop, making mumbling lazy fools very rich by utilising talented producers. There's some trap songs I enjoy, but that's entirely in spite of the "artist" attached to them.

If Gambino wants to go down that road, fine. His music will probably still be listenable, but there's a lot of lyrical talent going to waste.

Twed

• Take a Key for Coming in!
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2018, 11:42:42 PM »
I like trap, vaporwave and most genres that are popular but don't necessitate any particular artistry. It's about what's aesthetically pleasing as opposed to some over-arching cultural element that needs to exist to justify the value of the music. It's immediate.

« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2018, 12:01:40 AM »
People want it to be a parody because trap is a virus swallowing mainstream hip-hop, making mumbling lazy fools very rich by utilising talented producers. There's some trap songs I enjoy, but that's entirely in spite of the "artist" attached to them.

If Gambino wants to go down that road, fine. His music will probably still be listenable, but there's a lot of lyrical talent going to waste.

I doubt he will go down that road for long. Who would have thought he would follow his backpack rap albums with the fucking majestic Awaken My Love