Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:06:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Eurovision Thread 2018.

Started by rjd2, May 08, 2018, 06:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 13, 2018, 03:40:24 PM
But none of them had a white person dressing up as an Asian.

They were also mixing Japanese with Chinese. The little gold cats are a Chinese thing.

It's too gay now. By which I mean, it used to be camp, with all the other silly countries taking it seriously while Wogan took the piss. Ever since beardy lady fella won, it's got more like this, which is great for gays in Lithuania or wherever, but... or maybe it's an okay level of gay and last night was a shit year, I dunno. I thought Norton did a good job, that's about it.

Josef K

What do you think's going to happen regarding the location of next year's one? Netanyahu's already said next year will be in Jerusalem

My prediciton: Eurovision tries to get them to hold it in Tel Aviv, they refuse to back down, Eurovision concedes defeat, they host it in Jerusalem, one or two countries boycott it, a few protests around the West Bank and E. Jerusalem with a few children shot, business as usual.

jobotic

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 13, 2018, 03:10:36 PM
Shit. 'Thanks for voting for diversity'? What, as opposed to all the other acts that were a heaving mass of heteronormativity?

Yeah but they were European.. Except the Australians.

mothman

Quote from: Josef K on May 13, 2018, 06:49:38 PM
What do you think's going to happen regarding the location of next year's one? Netanyahu's already said next year will be in Jerusalem

My prediciton: Eurovision tries to get them to hold it in Tel Aviv, they refuse to back down, Eurovision concedes defeat, they host it in Jerusalem, one or two countries boycott it, a few protests around the West Bank and E. Jerusalem with a few children shot, business as usual.

Sadly, I think you're right.

gilbertharding

Does it have to be in the capital city now then? Wasn't it in Brighton once?

As for the UK entry being 'shit', I must have ears made of cloth, because quite a few of them have sounded fine to me. Definitely no worse than anything else I've heard on there. I was surprised when Engelbert Humperdinck flopped, for instance.

Zetetic

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 13, 2018, 03:53:01 PM
or maybe it's an okay level of gay and last night was a shit year, I dunno.
I think there's a weirdness - for me - of how it tries to hamfistedly combine progressive narratives about this and that the other with a rather tawdry (and perhaps peculiarly Continental) crass sexuality: you get weird jokes about non-consensual acts, an all-female presenting cast with their pairs of tits alternately on show, and those ridiculous flag-bearers, alongside messages of inclusivity and the triumph of social liberalism.

I thought this year's finalists were very boring for the most part, compared to last year's. Moldova's was probably my favourite for being a bit fun and, I guess, highlighting however unintentionally some of my complaints above.

mothman

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 13, 2018, 07:31:28 PM

It doesn't have to be, but the EBU seems to frown on overtly political statements, and that is what holding the competition in Jerusalem will quite nakedly be. It's like when George W. Bush took credit for the Olympics, but of course he got away with that because the IOC are predominantly old rich whote guys just like him, and they all stick together; and chances are the same thing will happen with the EBU.

DrGreggles

And Harrogate!

falafel

I suspect the all-female cast was at least partly a response to last year's sausage party in Ukraine. Could have done without all the cleavage and tit tape, but I dunno what I would have preferred, dungarees maybe?

daf

I was surprised when Engelbert Humperdinck flopped, for instance.

Should have borrowed Liberace's cantilevered penis.

Isnt Anything

if like me you missed the whole thing cos you didnt realise it was on and you only just found out that a thing happened then here is a link to when the thing happened if like me you wanted to read what people said about it.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,66859.msg3481052.html#msg3481052

not much actually.

Famous Mortimer

I didn't care for Israel's all that much, but it won the public vote in a landslide so I guess I'm in the European minority (as I am every year, except the one Lena won. And Lordi). I would assume that the Eurovision people are already a little upset about what could happen next year - and I would 100% push for Britain to boycott.

With Australia doing so miserably in the public vote, does anyone reckon this will be their last year? "Well, we like it, but they don't like us" sort of thing?

Dr Rock

Like some in this thread, I liked the Australian effort. Chubby girl nearly falling out of her dress, suits me, and she was a good performer and the song was ok. But the voters preferred a fatter lady who goes boss-eyed, and from looking at other clips I've found of her, the 'diversity' she was saying people voted for was her fatness. Well whoop-di-do. The song was fucking annoying.

Dr Rock

It wasn't a landslide win was it, the black fella in the horrible metallic clothes came close. What was good about his effort? I never can guess what's going to win in this.

gmoney

I thought the Austrian song had a great hook. If he'd have had a better dress sense/performance he would have won I reckon. I thought ours was excellent though, so what do I know.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 15, 2018, 01:28:54 PM
It wasn't a landslide win was it, the black fella in the horrible metallic clothes came close. What was good about his effort? I never can guess what's going to win in this.
The public vote was significantly higher, points wise, for Israel? (I think I'm reading it right, like the gap between 1st and 2nd was as big as the gap between 2nd and 5th)

QuoteTelevote
1. Israel: 317 points
2. Cyprus: 253 points
3. Italy: 249 points
13. Austria: 71 points
26. Australia: 9 points

Dr Rock

Well I remember them being neck and neck during voting, it's a surprisingly wide margin now that I see it, but I think there have been wider.

Can't even remember Italy's. Everything was forgettable unless it was memorably bad like the marching viking bunch. Israel won by default, the tallest dwarf.

I also thought the UK would get a big sympathy vote, didn't happen. And look at Australia down at the bottom, that was a decent effort, fuck knows.

Emma Raducanu

Maybe I'm weird but I really liked Portugal's song and listened to it 3 more times afterward

bgmnts

I am really late to this but why is it called EuroVISION when it's a singing contest...?

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on May 21, 2018, 07:28:12 PM
I am really late to this but why is it called EuroVISION when it's a singing contest...?

Shown on telly innit

Pseudopath

...and that's the name of the European Broadcasting Union's television network which produces and distributes the show.

You're right though bgmnts...they really should call it the Eurovision Song Contest or something to eliminate any confusion.

imitationleather

They temporarily changed the name to Eurosong in the '90s but everyone hated that and it was quickly reverted back.

DO KEEP UP.

I'm honestly surprised about Israel. I thought they were going to be as popular as us post-Iraq.

jobotic

They should call it EuroAudioVisual but I suppose that would be against EUSSR regulations.

Dr Rock

What about the fact that Israel and Australia are allowed to enter?