Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,327
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists/Bands whose every album you like (or near enough)

Started by saltysnacks, May 10, 2018, 02:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltysnacks

I start this thread because I regularly listen to most of Tom Waits' albums, and have enjoyed my experience with each one. He can't do wrong in my humble opinion. Currently listening to Closing Time and he can write and perform straight folk/blues music well (although the album is genre-bending like most of his output). Amazing musician.

sevendaughters

Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 certainly have some annoying tracks but I'll be damned if I don't have and worship all 7 studio albums, 3 EPs, the rarities/outtakes comp Porcelain Entertainments, and some live bootlegs on CD that I transferred to my phone. Just need the Everyday 7" to feel secure in my collection.

I also think Labradford barely put a note wrong across 6 albums and a handful of smaller releases.

Absorb the anus burn

Talking Heads (even True Stories!)
Magazine (even Magic, Murder & The Weather!)

thraxx

Broadcast, erm Tindersticks, erm Kool Keith, Stone Roses I suppose, Gorky's too, definitely Pavement and maybe Sonic Youth. And the chuckle brothers yo.

Kane Jones

Zombi. If you like spacey, proggy instrumentals with analog synths, they never put a foot wrong.

SteveDave

The Beatles
The Velvet Underground
Arctic Monkeys (apart from Humbug)

I think that's it...

buttgammon

Talking Heads for me too; I would say The Velvet Underground but that's not counting Squeeze, right? Also, LCD Soundsystem - four of my favourite albums ever (five if you count 45:33).

holyzombiejesus

Really difficult this. The bands I really love (The Pastels, Gorkys, Felt, Go-Betweens, Notwist, B&S, TFC, Yo La Tengo, MBV) all have albums that I merely tolerate and wouldn't ever go to when there are better albums by them that I like so much more. I mean, who would listen to Terror Twilight when they could put Crooked Rain or Wowee Zowee on? Even 'greats' such as the VU, The Byrds and Television have stinkers lurking in their back catalogue.

Neomod

Obviously the more you release the greater the chance of a shiter but off the top of my head.

David Devant and His Spirit Wife
Angel Olsen
The Smiths
Free Design
Joan as Police Woman
Nick Drake
Kings of Convenience
Slowdive

SteveDave

Quote from: buttgammon on May 10, 2018, 10:02:50 AM
I would say The Velvet Underground but that's not counting Squeeze, right?

Squeeze is their best LP.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Neomod on May 10, 2018, 11:06:56 AM

Nick Drake

Yeah, definitely. I don't think he ever released a song that wasn't great.

Quote from: Neomod on May 10, 2018, 11:06:56 AM

Kings of Convenience

Erland used to hang round with my circle of friends when he lived in Manchester and copped off with my ex girlfriend before I did, and she said she could feel his hard-on through his jeans when they kissed and that it felt really small. He gave her a 'thankyou' on the inner of the first Kings album but spelled her name wrong. He was a cheeky scratting bastard.

Norton Canes

All eight of Orbital's studio albums are a min. 9/10

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: SteveDave on May 10, 2018, 11:49:16 AM
It's like being back on the Steve Hoffman forum.

To be honest, that's the first time I've ever used the 'mate' thing before and I didn't particularly enjoy it.

purlieu

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 10, 2018, 11:27:58 AM
All eight of Orbital's studio albums are a min. 9/10
Even Blue? I have a respect for The Altogether now, even if it feels like an admirable failure in places, but Blue seems like such a half-arsed attempt to me.

I wasn't tremendously excited by their comeback Anastasis, but Dead Can Dance's original run of eight albums and one EP is bloody tremendous.

I like every Idlewild album, although some are notably stronger than others, and my least favourites are probably enjoyable partially because of my love of the band.

Captain Sensible's six studio albums are all great and of very similar quality to each other - despite their differences I struggle to pick out a favourite.

The first Cleaners From Venus album is a mess, and I'm not fond of many of his attempts to do studio versions of previously released lo-fi tracks, but otherwise I can't think of an album Martin Newell's made that I don't like - 27 albums out of 30 isn't bad.

Paaaaul

I've tried to limit it to bands that have released at least 3 albums. I don't think there's a duffer in the list below.

Stereolab
Cardiacs
Pixies
Duchess Says
Big Star
Beastie Boys
The (proper) Velvet Underground
The Teardrop Explodes
Talk Talk
Sparklehorse

holyzombiejesus

Just looked through my ipod - only went for bands who've done 3 or more albums - and came up with...

Biff Bang Pow!
James Blackshaw
Epic Soundtracks
Galaxie 500
Jeffrey Lewis
Man or Astro-Man?
Nina Nastasia
Molly Nilsson
Elliott Smith
Smog/ Bill Callahan
Alexander Tucker/ Grumbling Fur/ Imbogodom

Up until about a decade ago, Jonathan Richman.

sevendaughters

Quote from: SteveDave on May 10, 2018, 11:49:16 AM
It's like being back on the Steve Hoffman forum.

SteveDave did you used to post on Angst?

Dr Syntax Head

Gregory Torso

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 10, 2018, 08:33:45 AM
Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 certainly have some annoying tracks but I'll be damned if I don't have and worship all 7 studio albums, 3 EPs, the rarities/outtakes comp Porcelain Entertainments, and some live bootlegs on CD that I transferred to my phone. Just need the Everyday 7" to feel secure in my collection.

I also think Labradford barely put a note wrong across 6 albums and a handful of smaller releases.

Fucking A plus on those, mate. The "annoying" tracks are what make the Fellers so special!

Labradford too, saw them play with Stars Of The Lid many years ago and it was lush.

SteveDave

phantom_power

Quote from: Paaaaul on May 10, 2018, 12:44:23 PM
I've tried to limit it to bands that have released at least 3 albums. I don't think there's a duffer in the list below.

Stereolab
Cardiacs
Pixies
Duchess Says
Big Star
Beastie Boys
The (proper) Velvet Underground
The Teardrop Explodes
Talk Talk
Sparklehorse

Does that include The Pixies post Kim Deal? And didn't the Teardrop Explodes only have 2 albums? Both great mind and the various comps and odd-n-sods albums are good as well

sevendaughters

Quote from: SteveDave on May 10, 2018, 02:04:41 PM
I don't think so. What was it?

NME forum. There was a SteveDave, you have similar taste.