Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:14:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists/Bands whose every album you like (or near enough)

Started by saltysnacks, May 10, 2018, 02:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paaaaul

Quote from: phantom_power on May 10, 2018, 02:07:12 PM
Does that include The Pixies post Kim Deal? And didn't the Teardrop Explodes only have 2 albums? Both great mind and the various comps and odd-n-sods albums are good as well
Balls. I had managed to forget that they still exist until reading your post. Scrub them then, and add The Breeders.
The Teardrop Explodes have two *real* albums, but numerous post-split albums, such as Everybody Wants To Shag, Piano and Zoology, that are all worth listening to so I thought it safe to include them.

Norton Canes

Quote from: purlieu on May 10, 2018, 12:14:02 PM
Even Blue? I have a respect for The Altogether now, even if it feels like an admirable failure in places, but Blue seems like such a half-arsed attempt to me

Hell yeah even Blue! In fact it's one of the best sounding of all their LPs, it's so lush. I just wish some of the shorter tracks could have had their running times bumped up.

purlieu

I think you might be the first person I've ever spoken to who has something good to say about that album. Lush is an interesting word. It sounds really flat and plasticky to me. That said, I do love 'Transient'.

Dr Syntax Head

Dr Syntax Head

RIDE (Tarantula isn't great but I still like it)
NINE INCH NAILS. Not one bad album.
Radiohead. I still enjoy Pablo Honey.
The Brian Jonestown Massacre

The Culture Bunker

Was struggling a bit, as pretty much every band I love has released at least one duffer, for example:

XTC - Wasp Star: doubt I've listened to it more than twice, unlike all their others, which have had many, many listens.
Catherine Wheel - the abomination of a final album, "Wishville", which I try to pretend is by another band, as they'd sacked the bassist and added "The" to the start of their name between this and the beyond-wonderful "Adam and Eve".
New Order/the Cure/REM: pretty much everything after the 1980s ended, in terms of albums as whole entities. Plenty of brilliant songs scattered amongst it all, but no one set I'll listen to all the way through again (probably).

Thankfully, then I remembered I do like Slowdive and Talk Talk's respective debuts and love everything else they did, so, phew.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 10, 2018, 06:00:42 PM
Was struggling a bit, as pretty much every band I love has released at least one duffer, for example:

Catherine Wheel - the abomination of a final album, "Wishville", which I try to pretend is by another band, as they'd sacked the bassist

Yeah Wishville is pretty bad

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 10, 2018, 07:21:56 PM
Yeah Wishville is pretty bad
Rob Dickinson made a very good solo album a few years after, so I can only assume his mojo had fucked off to space around the year 2000.

These days he seems very happy doing up old 911s for large sums of money.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 10, 2018, 07:29:47 PM
Rob Dickinson made a very good solo album a few years after, so I can only assume his mojo had fucked off to space around the year 2000.

These days he seems very happy doing up old 911s for large sums of money.

Ferment still gets regular play in my house. The non album song Balloon is my favourite Catherine wheel song though. It's class.

phantom_power

I think I will have to go for the Supers, both Furry Animals and Grass. Sure, some albums are better than others but I don't think either of them released a stinker

Dr Rock

Me First and The Gimme Gimmes
Tom Waits
Beatles
Big Star
cheating naming people who only did three albums though innit.
Nick Drake.
Killdozer
Big Black
Butthole Surfers
Shocking Blue
Bongwater
Death In Vegas
Denim
Pussy Galore
The Doors (not including the tw without JM)
Funkadelic (well I like some a lot more than others)
Bobbie Gentry
Loop
Spacemen 3
Lee Hazlwood
Creedence Clearwater Revival

Sin Agog

Maybe all the O.G Tropicaliens- Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Chico Barque, Gal Costa, Os Mutantes etc. My favourite period of most of their careers was the early '70s when most of them were exiled abroad, and they became a musical diaspora, hooking up with cats like Ennio Morricone (Buarque), or writing gloriously melancholy opuses out in rainy London (Veloso), but I almost never encounter anything by any of them I don't like.

Sin Agog

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 10, 2018, 08:33:45 AM
Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 certainly have some annoying tracks but I'll be damned if I don't have and worship all 7 studio albums, 3 EPs, the rarities/outtakes comp Porcelain Entertainments, and some live bootlegs on CD that I transferred to my phone. Just need the Everyday 7" to feel secure in my collection.

They're great, aren't they?  I think that Admonishing the Bishops EP is peak Fellers for me. I can't remember what they called those little one-minute sound experiments they peppered their albums with- Thinking Fillers?- but there's none of that on that EP.  The book ending tracks in particular, Hurricane (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czp3wGZ9XUM) and Father (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9aS8S4VPIY *) are amazing.  I need to listen to their earlier, noisier albums more often.  I tend to keep going back to Strangers From the Universe the most.

*one of my favourite fan vids on YouTube, that- especially after the banjo kicks in

grassbath

Aphex Twin, and to be honest the bulk of the stuff he's put out under other names as well.

garbed_attic

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 10, 2018, 12:59:39 PM
Molly Nilsson

Good call (although I think there's one or two I haven't listened to). I can't imagine her putting out an album I didn't like to some degree or other (though I also can't imagine her putting out an album which absolutely shocked me... but there is much time!)

Cardiacs, I'd agree with too... though I struggle a little with the cassettes. But then production aspects are really the only thing I ever struggle with with Cardiacs.

If it weren't for bloody Around The Sun I'd have been able to say REM!

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 10, 2018, 07:33:51 PM
Ferment still gets regular play in my house. The non album song Balloon is my favourite Catherine wheel song though. It's class.
I'm very glad Cherry Red stuck that as a bonus track on their "Ferment" reissue. Though their b-sides album "Like Cats and Dogs" is ace too. A much underrated band that I try and foist on people on a regular basis.

While in the pub, I remembered I love all the Chameleons' "proper" studio albums. They should have been huge too.

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on May 10, 2018, 08:25:34 PM
I think I will have to go for the Supers, both Furry Animals and Grass. Sure, some albums are better than others but I don't think either of them released a stinker

Aye

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 10, 2018, 09:36:03 PM
Maybe all the O.G Tropicaliens- Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Chico Barque, Gal Costa, Os Mutantes etc. My favourite period of most of their careers was the early '70s when most of them were exiled abroad, and they became a musical diaspora, hooking up with cats like Ennio Morricone (Buarque), or writing gloriously melancholy opuses out in rainy London (Veloso), but I almost never encounter anything by any of them I don't like.
i really like the vaudeville psych pepperisms of the first mutantes album (senhor f) where should I go on from there?

VelourSpirit

Slowdive
Bjork
Dinosaur Jr
Pavement
Beach Fossils
Wait I don't think I've listened to Dino's first album more than twice. I'm sure there's more artists than this..

Golden E. Pump

D'Angelo
George Michael
LCD Soundsystem
Talking Heads
Warren Zevon

phantom_power

Another shout for LCD
Beck
The Auteurs
Baxter Dury
Field Music
Gaz Combes
Joanna Newsom
Kate Bush
Run The Jewels
The Smiths

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 10, 2018, 09:51:56 PM
I'm very glad Cherry Red stuck that as a bonus track on their "Ferment" reissue. Though their b-sides album "Like Cats and Dogs" is ace too. A much underrated band that I try and foist on people on a regular basis.

While in the pub, I remembered I love all the Chameleons' "proper" studio albums. They should have been huge too.

Oh hell yes. Chameleons were fantastic. More of an influence on Interpol than the often stated Joy Division I think.

Another vote for LCD Sounsdystem here.
!!! every album I like.
Interpol. They never matched the first 2 albums but I really love everything they have put out.

wosl

A number have been listed already.  I'll add:

Ashra (as distinct from Ash Ra Tempel, whose stuff I find hit and miss)
China Crisis
Jose Gonzalez
Pale Saints
Scritti Politti
Judee Sill
Steely Dan
Utopia and Rundgren solo (bar Initiation)
Maurice Deebank (Felt/solo/guest player)

Dr Syntax Head

Deerhunter
Built to Spill
Swervedriver
All the Guided by Voices albums I've heard

Absorb the anus burn

Samla Mammas Manna / Zamla Mammaz Manna Yep, all great.
NEU! / La Dusseldorf

phantom_power

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 10, 2018, 11:46:28 PM
Deerhunter
Built to Spill
Swervedriver
All the Guided by Voices albums I've heard

Guided by Voices are consistently hit and miss

non capisco

Rocket From The Crypt have never released an album I've even faintly disliked. The self titled one where the major label was trying to make them go pop isn't quite as good as the others, but it's still pretty fucking good. It's got 'When In Rome...Do The Jerk!' on it for a start. So, them then. A flawless run from 'Paint As A Fragrance' to 'Live At Camp X-Ray'.

I'd say Deerhunter but their disowned and out of circulation debut album 'Turn It Up, Faggot' is nearly as bad as its title. If you pretend they started with 'Cryptograms' then, yes, Deerhunter for sure.

Otis Redding. Everything he put his voice on is great, died before he could get embroiled in some ill-advised disco comeback or be roped into singing a syrupy song from a rom com soundtrack with Linda Ronstadt or someone.

Neville Chamberlain

Cardiacs
NoMeansNo
Victims Family
Uz Jsme Doma
Faust

I'm also going to stick my neck out and say Can - I've grown to really enjoy the later, so-called-rubbish albums.

I dare anyone to say The Fall. I probably would up to the year 2000, after which things got a bit too patchy.

Sgt. Duckie