Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:34:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists/Bands whose every album you like (or near enough)

Started by saltysnacks, May 10, 2018, 02:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neville Chamberlain

purlieu

Quote from: grassbath on May 10, 2018, 09:47:16 PM
Aphex Twin, and to be honest the bulk of the stuff he's put out under other names as well.
Ah yes, there's not an album or compilation of his that I don't enjoy.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on May 11, 2018, 09:05:48 AM
I'm also going to stick my neck out and say Can - I've grown to really enjoy the later, so-called-rubbish albums.

Actually, scratch that - Out of Reach is absolutely fucking hopeless.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 10, 2018, 11:46:28 PM

Built to Spill

I considered them but, a couple of tracks aside, Ultimate Alternative Wavers can be a right chore.

Sin Agog

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 10, 2018, 10:12:42 PM
i really like the vaudeville psych pepperisms of the first mutantes album (senhor f) where should I go on from there?

There isn't much else like that, I think.  That particular screaming but melodic fuzz guitar made its way onto a fair few albums at the time, though.  Gal Costa released two albums in 69 which are both good, but it's the second one which starts off with this track that's full of feral psyche cuts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoPHiVOiHA) is in a more similar vein.

The Mutantes did most of the backing for Gilberto Gil's s/t 68 album.  Although, like I said, I still think most of these cats peaked a few years later, that'd still be a good in.

This s/t shit was a nightmare when I first started getting into all of these peoples, but Caetano Veloso's second s/t from 69 that starts with Irene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCY7Cv4RXe0) would be a good start from his psyche years.  Although Transa's my fave by him, and his by turns beautiful way at getting melodies from things like breathing patterns on Joia Joia, and genuinely demented experimentalism of Araca Azul are a wonder to behold.  Probably the most clear talent to emerge from the scene.

As someone into avant-prog and all that, Tom Ze might wind up being most up your alley. Todos Os Olhos and Estudando O Samba totally sound like what I'd imagine a band like Slapp Happy would have made if they'd been charged with squishing some of Brazil's musical institutions underfoot and putting them back together again, weirder and stronger than before.

There are a whole bunch of lesser-known psyche gems from the era too, especially an album called Paebiru by Lulu Cortez and Ze Ramalho.  Also saw Marcos Valle at Glastonbury the same year I caught a reformed Mutantes (whose later albums by the way, though different, are all worth a listen.  Kurt Cobain wanted to tour with them at one point)- I love the things he does with a moog and a keen sense of melody on Previsao do Tempo.

Also watch that Tropicalia documentary from a few years back https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1497880/

Fuck, this was not an easy post to make on a shitty wi-fi connection at a Wetherspoon's.

the ouch cube

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 10, 2018, 09:41:44 PM
They're great, aren't they?  I think that Admonishing the Bishops EP is peak Fellers for me. I can't remember what they called those little one-minute sound experiments they peppered their albums with- Thinking Fillers?

FellerFiller, no plural (I think)

My choice is the Meat Puppets.

alan nagsworth

Ween
Broadcast
of Montreal
Super Furry Animals
Deerhunter
John Maus
Brakes
Burial (as in, the singles and EPs too, basically all of it pre-Temple Sleeper)
Deftones
The Cribs

mate, The Cribs are so fucking good

MattD

Chairman Yang

Elysian Fields haven't released anything less than perfect songs for twenty years...

Except Only For Tonight which is inexplicably shit

Jockice

Paaaaul

I love Guided By Voices.
They're my favourite band.
I own all their albums.
They shouldn't be mentioned in this thread.

Ferris

Arcade Fire (come at me)
Björk
Nick Drake
Pavement (though Terror Twilight is my fave by a fair distance)
Tom Waits
Bob Dylan (about 2 bad LPs in the early '80s, but by sheer output that doesn't count)

Bazooka

It's no secret I'm an Animal Collective slut, so them. Aesop Rock is up there too, despite not liking the production on a couple of tracks, Getaway Car looking at you.

samadriel

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 12, 2018, 01:25:03 PM
Pavement (though Terror Twilight is my fave by a fair distance)

Fascinating; I've bookmarked a few songs from TT for later enjoyment, and on the whole I like it, but I can't imagine it being someone's favourite. Oh well, more power to you.

I like all Cake's albums, although the last one hasn't stayed with me quite as much as the earlier ones. Still, like Pavement's last one, good enough to make the list.

magval

I've actually found this really hard. Being a metal fan, I've found that most of my favourite bands have went through periods of reinvention (and often failed and wound up back where they started).

There isn't an Akercocke album I don't love from the second one onwards. The first is really a demo that ended up with a full release anyway, so that's the closest I could get when talking about albums I completely love.

Someone mentioned Zombi earlier. I'd concur that.

Oh, Nine Inch Nails is another one, discounting the Ghosts release as it's hard to get into and doesn't feel like a 'real' album.

Sepultura don't have any albums that I couldn't listen to, though some would find me drifting away distractedly. That's the longest stretch I can manage really, from the mid 80s through til last year's excellent Machine Messiah.

But aye, just about every other band is sullied by one album (Rammstein's Rosenrot, or Opeth's latest) or a point after which they never recovered (My Dying Bride, Cradle of Filth, Cannibal Corpse, Mastodon).

There's loads more but that's a quick browse on Discogs.

a duncandisorderly

I'll give another shout for labradford, but that's about it. there are some acts where I have dozens of their albums, but that doesn't mean I like them all- sonic youth, for example, right after the geffen deal, released a couple of duffers before getting their shit back together. hawkwind have had some funny ideas. gang of four. I like most of can's output but even then, some of 'delay 68' just gets on my nerves.
I don't even like all of my own band's albums. there's at least one where I can't bear to listen to the first disc of the pair.

the ouch cube

I'd love to be able to say the Fall, but it would be a lie. About two-thirds of their stuff is good/great, but the remaining third is not just bad, it's actively shocking that they thought they could foist it on the general public. 'Are You Are Missing Winner' sounds like the demo of a demo that a dog has crapped on.

DukeDeMondo

Whiskeytown
Kanye West
The Smiths
Bjork

I can't think of any others. I dunno. I'll add myself on MySpace and find out if I still rate all those Rilo Kiley albums or I don't. I reckon I probably do.

Quote from: the ouch cube on May 13, 2018, 10:40:26 PM
I'd love to be able to say the Fall, but it would be a lie. About two-thirds of their stuff is good/great, but the remaining third is not just bad, it's actively shocking that they thought they could foist it on the general public. 'Are You Are Missing Winner' sounds like the demo of a demo that a dog has crapped on.

I often find this with The Fall. I'll hear someone rave about some less heard tracks, check them out and wonder whether Mark E Smith had just rambled the latest bollocks in his head and recorded it in a local toilet.

Ferris

Peak the Fall, though. They're shit, but are they? Oh wow no maybe they're ace? Oh hang on this is a bit shit. Ooooooooh no this one's a banger, shit I don't know.

They are massively hit and miss, but Stewart Lee likes them so you can't really say "they're mostly shit" without taking a load of flak. Similar to the offensive Glaswegian chap who's name I can't recall.

It's totally ok to say that sometimes, the emperor only has some clothes.

Jockice

Quote from: the ouch cube on May 13, 2018, 10:40:26 PM

That's my favorite album of theirs this century you're talking about there.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on May 10, 2018, 11:58:17 PM
Samla Mammas Manna / Zamla Mammaz Manna Yep, all great.
NEU! / La Dusseldorf

R.e. Samla, you heard much of Lars Hollmer's solo stuff? Accordionists make the best band-leaders.  Dude's got dozens of albums under his belt under various names without a dud among them.  The sound's probably a little warmer and folkier than his earlier bands, but the music's still got just as much heart.

Quote from: saltysnacks on May 10, 2018, 02:10:18 AM
I start this thread because I regularly listen to most of Tom Waits' albums, and have enjoyed my experience with each one. He can't do wrong in my humble opinion. Currently listening to Closing Time and he can write and perform straight folk/blues music well (although the album is genre-bending like most of his output). Amazing musician.

You might wanna Czech out that podcast which covers a single Tom Waits song every episode, chronologically.  Think it's called 'Song by Song.'

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 13, 2018, 10:39:09 PM
Arab Strap

Again, I considered these but that last album, The Last Romance, just doesn't do it for me. I think it might be because it coincided with me meeting my wife to be and becoming actually happy, but it just felt like the band was running on empty by that stage. There are a couple of ok songs - we actually walked back up the aisle to There Is No Ending! - but I don't think I'd ever choose to listen to it again.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: magval on May 13, 2018, 10:14:47 PM

Oh, Nine Inch Nails is another one, discounting the Ghosts release as it's hard to get into and doesn't feel like a 'real' album.

Oh yes. But I love Ghosts also. Trent is one of those artists who can do no wrong in my world. I await everything he puts out with excitement.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 14, 2018, 10:56:48 AM
Again, I considered these but that last album, The Last Romance, just doesn't do it for me. I think it might be because it coincided with me meeting my wife to be and becoming actually happy, but it just felt like the band was running on empty by that stage. There are a couple of ok songs - we actually walked back up the aisle to There Is No Ending! - but I don't think I'd ever choose to listen to it again.

I was at University when they were touring that one, and sort-of worked back from it. It's still different enough from the rest of their stuff to be interesting in my opinion.

Even if you consider that one a bit of a dud, I still think it fits the criteria; I was going to suggest JAMC despite not really liking Honey's Dead all that much.

itsfredtitmus

is it racist i get arab strap and afghan whigs mixed up

phantom_power

I have only heard about two thirds of their output but I haven't heard a Talking Heads song I didn't like

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 14, 2018, 06:31:59 PM

I was going to suggest JAMC despite not really liking Honey's Dead all that much.

I also was going to mention JAMC but I really like Honey's Dead. It's Stoned and Dethroned I'm not too keen on. That may be however because I explored JAMC after the first BRMC album was released and I loved Darklands a great deal but found Stoned a bit disappointing. I need to give it a full listen because I reckon I'd dig it now. Munki was always the JAMC album for me though. I think it's bloody brilliant. I think Damage and Joy is great too, despite the artwork. Man I love the Mary Chain.