Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:44:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists/Bands you vow to delve into

Started by MoonDust, May 10, 2018, 09:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

I love Malcolm Mooney era Can, too, Delay & Monster Movie are great records. They didn't really put a foot wrong until Damo left.

Z

Confield is my favorite autechre album in a pretty big way.

To be honest, the only thing I had on my list that I NEEDED to check out more of was jazz in general to have a better idea of what I like, and I've basically done that over the last year or so (the answer is hard bop).

grassbath

A few mentions on here recently have made me realise I have literally never listened to Pavement. Aren't they supposed to be really good, garagey indie with great lyrics and vocal melodies? Basically sounds like exactly what I'm into - must be one of those Freudian things where you get into a rut of deliberately avoiding them on purpose. Where do I start?

Ferris

Re: Pavement. I really liked Terror Twilight and started there because it was produced by Nigel Godrich. It's acknowledged to be the weakest of the albums by those in the know, but it's my favourite one.

Give it a try, it's definitely worth your time.

jobotic

I know "the eraly stuff is better" is seen as being shorthand for being a wanker but in the case of Pavement it's true.

Try Slanted and Enchanted and if you don't like it don't bother as it's downhill from there.

holyzombiejesus

There's quite a good compilation called Quarantine The Past that's got bits from all of their periods. I can't imagine what it would be like to hear S&E for the first time nowadays.

phantom_power

Quote from: jobotic on May 12, 2018, 02:49:42 PM
I know "the eraly stuff is better" is seen as being shorthand for being a wanker but in the case of Pavement it's true.

Try Slanted and Enchanted and if you don't like it don't bother as it's downhill from there.

I am not sure that is great advice. I, and lots of other people, prefer their mid-period stuff like Wowee Zowee and Crooked Rain. I think Quarantine the Past is a good introduction, as HZJ said

jobotic

You're right, it's bad advice. But anyone starting out has to include S&E I reckon.

manticore

Quote from: jobotic on May 12, 2018, 09:04:04 PM
You're right, it's bad advice. But anyone starting out has to include S&E I reckon.

I think this is misleading though as they became a different band after Slanted. Different drummer changed their vibe or something. Crooked Rain Crooked Rain is the best place to start I think.