Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,474
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:40:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Francesca Martinez

Started by Jockice, May 10, 2018, 09:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 10, 2018, 03:16:42 PM
I was actually going to compare some of the stuff you were saying earlier in this thread to this sort of attitude, but decided not to because I thought it was too exaggerated and unfair. And yet now you've actually said it specifically. As jobotic has said, you're coming across as the sort of person who gets annoyed that black people can say the N word and you can't. Now get annoyed and tell me I'm just yet another person who is completely in the wrong on this.

I understand, I'm being deliberately obtuse because I find this subject all a bit exasperating. I literally remember an episode of Diff'rent Strokes I saw as a kid with a character who had epileptic fits, the jokes Arnold or whoever would make was stuff like "Could you hold this glass of milk for me? I want a MILK SHAKE!" the material is literally of this standard, but because it's a minority performer nobody is going to say it's poor material because it's experiential? In any thread about Jimmy Carr or Gervais or whoever, there'd be pages and pages of very nasty invective on them being a cunt, shit unjustified material, single-note or whatever, nobody bats an eye because they're white males, as soon as it's in a thread about a minority then a certain type ((Ex poster) and Jumblegraws) rush in to throw words like racism around if anybody has a problem with it, usually because they're desperate for any means and motive to seem morally superior. I knew I'd just get called a cunt for bringing anything negative up, but I don't really give a fuck, it's a pattern I've noticed that many minority performers grasp onto a gimmick and run it into the ground, and it's something that has historically bored and annoyed me as it's repetitive comedy.

The line they've used that "white comedians" having that as their entire premise is utter fucking cop-out bollocks to obfuscate their desperate argument to defend poor minority performers, I'm not a fan of Carr or Boyle but they knock out lots of new, original and inventive gags.. obviously some of which depend on stereotypes and the like, they're not starting out with the same premise each time.. GGM literally would have sketch after sketch where they make Playskool Indian, the Teletubbies Indian, Superman Indian etc etc, If you're brain-dead I suppose it's hilarious to have the (? + Indian) formula fed to you over and over again.

Quote from: (Ex poster) on May 10, 2018, 03:25:07 PM
Cheers spam. I see Steven doesn't understand what a neckbeard is in the slightest.

??

Talkative, self-important nerdy men (usually age 30 and up) who, through an inability to properly decode social cues, mistake others' strained tolerance of their blather for evidence of their own charm.

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 10, 2018, 03:39:15 PM
I think Steven has made it perfectly clear that it's BAD WRITING he doesn't like. Why are you all defending BAD WRITING? That dodgy thing he said about out-group comedy was motivated by contempt for BAD WRITING, you patronising white person/misguided minority.

So I see you never responded to my saying about the writing having no satirical point and just being repetitive, literally the same idea week after week? It's easier to write guff like the above where you imply things making beady eyes and hope people go with the unjustified implication.

Replies From View

Quoteit's a pattern I've noticed that many minority performers grasp onto a gimmick and run it into the ground

See that cerebral palsy that defines your entire existence and has led to you being victimised during pivotal developmental stages of your life?  GIMMICK, mate.  Move the fuck on.

Steven

Quote from: Replies From View on May 10, 2018, 04:13:55 PM
Move the fuck on.

Bit difficult..

It is a gimmick if every joke you do is literally about the same thing, do you not understand? Yeah it can give an insight into her life and experience and stuff, but it's not necessarily good comedy.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Steven on May 10, 2018, 04:10:16 PM

??

Talkative, self-important nerdy men (usually age 30 and up) who, through an inability to properly decode social cues, mistake others' strained tolerance of their blather for evidence of their own charm.

Physician...

Me and my dad used to love the Rub a Dub sketches on TRM. My Dad's Mike Reid impression is still Kulvinder Ghir. There was Felix Dexter's character pieces and stand up every week... actually no, it was just a white actor being racist in every sketch.

Funcrusher

Quote from: (Ex poster) on May 10, 2018, 04:17:25 PM
Physician...

Me and my dad used to love the Rub a Dub sketches on TRM. My Dad's Mike Reid impression is still Kulvinder Ghir. There was Felix Dexter's character pieces and stand up every week... actually no, it was just a white actor being racist in every sketch.

Ah, the heady euphoric rush as the sanctimony junkie attains that sweet fix.

Steven

Quote from: (Ex poster) on May 10, 2018, 04:17:25 PM
Physician...

Do you honestly think that I think I'm charming?

I especially adore what sneering cunt you are to a lot of male posters here but then completely patronisingly simpering to any poster who is trans or a woman, it's so desperately transparent.

Jockice

Quote from: Replies From View on May 10, 2018, 04:13:55 PM
See that cerebral palsy that defines your entire existence and has led to you being victimised during pivotal developmental stages of your life?  GIMMICK, mate.  Move the fuck on.

Mine certainly is. Although officially I don't even have it but a complicated form of another much MUCH more unusual neurological disorder that is often mistaken for CP due to its rarity. Beat that for a gimmick Martinez! And you coloured types! I am the king of comedy!

ieXush2i

Quote from: Steven on May 10, 2018, 04:27:04 PM
Do you honestly think that I think I'm charming?

I especially adore what sneering cunt you are to a lot of male posters here but then completely patronisingly simpering to any poster who is trans or a woman, it's so desperately transparent.

And you think I think I'm charming? I can link to your Pub Quiz thread so we can all relive your misunderstanding of social cues and vast self-importance but you're doing a great job of it in this very thread.

Heh look at that - how dare I disagree with some men! I'm a gender traitor. Never forced myself on an unwilling 17 year old mind.

thraxx

Is she any relation of Roberto Martinez and can anyone tell me if he is any good as a stand up comic?

Replies From View

Quote from: thraxx on May 10, 2018, 04:55:13 PM
Is she any relation of Roberto Martinez and can anyone tell me if he is any good as a stand up comic?

Well, according to the keen wisdom of this thread she just prattles on and on about how she can't catch a ball or run to her Geography class.

Steven

Quote from: (Ex poster) on May 10, 2018, 04:39:22 PM
And you think I think I'm charming? I can link to your Pub Quiz thread so we can all relive your misunderstanding of social cues and vast self-importance but you're doing a great job of it in this very thread.

Yes, you do, but it's transparent. Your binary switching between utter cunt and simpering prick also betray your attempts to appear empathetic are superficial. Actually a lot of people told me the Pub Quiz thread was their favourite thing, an they enjoyed all the madness therein. In fact that is still an ongoing spiralling mess, one bloke I was on the team with has bumped into me many times in various other pubs but has ignored me, as I him, until the other week I was on a date with someone and near the end of the night he turns up and happens to know my date so starts talking to me all of a sudden, certainly made proceedings uncomfortable.

QuoteHeh look at that - how dare I disagree with some men! I'm a gender traitor. Never forced myself on an unwilling 17 year old mind.

Yawn, this old desperate shit again? Don't worry, I've got plenty of teen boys forcing themselves on me to choose from.

Replies From View

Cool, maybe discuss them in PMs then.

bgmnts

A teen boy would go lovely with my coffee right now.

Danger Man

As CaB's most Indian poster (to the  best of my knowledge) I'd just like to say that GGM was a load of shit.

Thanks.

Jockice

Can we get back to talking about me please? I'm very interesting you know.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Steven on May 10, 2018, 04:10:16 PM
I understand, I'm being deliberately obtuse because I find this subject all a bit exasperating. I literally remember an episode of Diff'rent Strokes I saw as a kid with a character who had epileptic fits, the jokes Arnold or whoever would make was stuff like "Could you hold this glass of milk for me? I want a MILK SHAKE!" the material is literally of this standard, but because it's a minority performer nobody is going to say it's poor material because it's experiential? In any thread about Jimmy Carr or Gervais or whoever, there'd be pages and pages of very nasty invective on them being a cunt, shit unjustified material, single-note or whatever, nobody bats an eye because they're white males, as soon as it's in a thread about a minority then a certain type ((Ex poster) and Jumblegraws) rush in to throw words like racism around if anybody has a problem with it, usually because they're desperate for any means and motive to seem morally superior. I knew I'd just get called a cunt for bringing anything negative up, but I don't really give a fuck, it's a pattern I've noticed that many minority performers grasp onto a gimmick and run it into the ground, and it's something that has historically bored and annoyed me as it's repetitive comedy.
Well first of all, it was you who got the racism-ball going by throwing it at the feet of the Real McCoy writers/performers. I stated in my first reply to you that I thought the recurring white character you described was justified as a decades-overdue pushback against white oppression and that you were on dangerous ground by equating it with the minstrelsy tradition. If you only meant to highlight an overused gag, then you absolutely should have avoided language like that. It's also not fair to say that I "rushed in", I was concurring with about three other users who had already called you up on your comments and trying to build on what had already been said. On that point, can you avoid aspersions about my motivations for commenting on subjects like this? Prejudice is a subject I take very seriously, this isn't some virtue-signalling game for me.

I think everyone understands fine-well your assertion that identity as a gimmick in stand-up is all-too-common and that it annoys you. The problem is that you haven't furnished that POV with much beyond an assertion that this is something that minority comics do. You extoll the virtues of nuance but don't seem to anticipate that routines that seem samey and repetitive to you might have more to say to someone who relates more readily with the subject matter.

QuoteSo I see you never responded to my saying about the writing having no satirical point and just being repetitive, literally the same idea week after week? It's easier to write guff like the above where you imply things making beady eyes and hope people go with the unjustified implication.
Again, if you only meant to criticise the repetiveness of a joke that happened to be about race, then you buried the lede by talking about "Caucasian Sambo" and racial hypocrisy.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Jockice on May 10, 2018, 05:10:03 PM

Nah, sorry, only straight, white, able-bodied posters comments count in discussions about minority groups.

Danger Man

Quote from: Steven on May 10, 2018, 04:59:09 PM
Pub Quiz

I was in a pub last night and they has a quiz on. Didn't take part. Was only there for one round where they played five TV theme tunes backwards. The last one was almost certainly Hong Kong Phooey. They could have played it forwards as there was no way the bearded millennial twats would ever have known it.

And if they ever do watch it they'll get all upset about cultural appropriation.

Danger Man

Quote from: Jockice on May 10, 2018, 05:10:03 PM

Is your hatred of Indian food hiding a hatred of Indians?

Don't blame you, to be honest. All the men are either deep in the closet or rapists and as for the women....oh boy!

Jockice

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 10, 2018, 05:17:30 PM
Nah, sorry, only straight, white, able-bodied posters comments count in discussions about minority groups.

Two out of three ain't bad said Meatloaf. And he should know, the big fatty that he is.

Jockice

Quote from: Danger Man on May 10, 2018, 05:20:29 PM
Is your hatred of Indian food hiding a hatred of Indians?

Don't blame you, to be honest. All the men are either deep in the closet or rapists and as for the women....oh boy!

As if! As I've already explained many times, I hate all races and nationalities equally. Except for my own, which I loathe even more.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Steven on May 10, 2018, 04:59:09 PM
Yes, you do, but it's transparent. Your binary switching between utter cunt and simpering prick also betray your attempts to appear empathetic are superficial. Actually a lot of people told me the Pub Quiz thread was their favourite thing, an they enjoyed all the madness therein. In fact that is still an ongoing spiralling mess, one bloke I was on the team with has bumped into me many times in various other pubs but has ignored me, as I him, until the other week I was on a date with someone and near the end of the night he turns up and happens to know my date so starts talking to me all of a sudden, certainly made proceedings uncomfortable.

Ha I knew we'd get a bit of self-obsessed Trumpian bloviating if I brought that up! So many, many messages of appreciation, everyone loved it... now here's a story about some pub quiz bloke no-one gives a fuck about or asked for

QuoteYawn, this old desperate shit again? Don't worry, I've got plenty of teen boys forcing themselves on me to choose from.

Yes again, I've tried to mention it as often as possible in this thread because you forced yourself on a 17 year old. If you can rely on a series from 22 years ago in your poorly reasoned views I see no issue with bringing it up.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Danger Man on May 10, 2018, 05:17:42 PM
I was in a pub last night and they has a quiz on. Didn't take part. Was only there for one round where they played five TV theme tunes backwards. The last one was almost certainly Hong Kong Phooey. They could have played it forwards as there was no way the bearded millennial twats would ever have known it.

And if they ever do watch it they'll get all upset about cultural appropriation.

This post was brought to you by Saga Magazine

Danger Man

Quote from: (Ex poster) on May 10, 2018, 05:36:26 PM
This post was brought to you by Saga Magazine

You're mid 30's aren't you?

When young people look at both of us they see the same thing. OLD MEN!!

jobotic

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 10, 2018, 05:17:30 PM

The only person remotely saying that is you. Oh wait, it's clever sarcasm.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Danger Man on May 10, 2018, 05:38:55 PM
You're mid 30's aren't you?

When young people look at both of us they see the same thing. OLD MEN!!

I know, it's quite fascinating in a way - to small children there's no difference between me and a teenager, even with all my white hair and huge beard.

Lemming

Reading this thread feels like opening a plot-heavy novel at a random page and trying to figure out what's going on.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Howj Begg on May 10, 2018, 02:06:41 PM
The Real McCoy was trailblazing, about 65% brilliant (including everything Felix Dexter did in it) and was not, by any stretch of the imagination, racist.
This was a bit off though : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVr2nnUbjDA

Jockice

She was okay. Not bad, not brilliant. As I suspected I knew what was coming a lot of the time but she did elicit a couple of unexpected laughs. Apart from the joke about Frankie Boyle being ginger at which point I stormed the stage and killed her. Fantasy sequence.