Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:51:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Predator

Started by St_Eddie, May 10, 2018, 02:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Written by Shane Black (whom played Hawkins in the first movie) and Fred Dekker (heh; Black & Dekker).  An early draft of the script leaked a while back and was gubbins.  The trailer does nothing for me.  How about you?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Hmm, yeah, I'm not particularly enthused by that. The only other thing I know Dekker for is directing Robocop 3, which is, of course, cack. I love pretty much everything Black has worked on though, so I shan't write this off yet.

phantom_power

Dekker did Monster Squad as well didn't he? That were good

Shit Good Nose

No problem with Dekker or Black, BUT there was a thread about this a while ago and the worrying conclusion drawn based on the evidence available at the time was that it was looking to be a PG-13 (so 12A over here) comedy...

Blumf

Robocop 3 was on TV last night, and like an idiot I left it on. Nothing's right with it, and it's just so dull.

As for The Predator...

QuoteWhen a young boy accidentally triggers their return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled science teacher can prevent the end of the human race.

This is a made-for SyFy movie, right?

phantom_power

That synopsis doesn't sound great but...it's Shane Black! He hasn't really put a foot wrong in the writing/directing stakes as far as I am concerned

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 10, 2018, 03:05:28 PM
No problem with Dekker or Black, BUT there was a thread about this a while ago and the worrying conclusion drawn based on the evidence available at the time was that it was looking to be a PG-13 (so 12A over here) comedy...

It's very comedic (too much so, according to test audiences, which led to hefty reshoots, with an eye to toning down the comedy) but it's also very gory.  It'll be R rated in America and likely a 15 certificate in the UK.

Quote from: Blumf on May 10, 2018, 03:15:54 PM
This is a made-for SyFy movie, right?

That's exactly what the trailer reminded me of.

Swoz_MK

"Jake Busey...The Son Of Peter Keyes". Sold.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 10, 2018, 03:31:36 PM
It's very comedic (too much so, according to test audiences, which led to hefty reshoots, with an eye to toning down the comedy) but it's also very gory.  It'll be R rated in America and likely a 15 certificate in the UK.

Well, they'd only been shooting for a few weeks when the last thread was still live, so the deets were a bit scant at that point.  But I think even with that in mind it was fairly obvious just from stills that had been released and rundowns of some of the stuff that had already been shot that it was too heavy on the comedy.  I know both of the other two have some chuckles, but this just sounded...well, lame.  Like they were doing a (yawn) "knowing" pastiche.

bgmnts

As much as i'd love to get Predator tech in the post tomorrow, i have no idea why that part was in the trailer. Didnt really tell me much about what the film will be.

Glebe

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on May 10, 2018, 03:54:15 PM
As much as i'd love to get Predator tech in the post tomorrow, i have no idea why that part was in the trailer. Didnt really tell me much about what the film will be.

I'll tell you this much; it's got an autistic kid who's disability gives him genius powers.  Ricky Gervais would be proud.

Deanjam

Bland trailer. Big fan of Shane Black though, so we'll see how it turns out.

phantom_power

It wouldn't be a Shane Black film without a kid. The only surprise is that judging by the trailer it isn't set at Christmas. That trailer is generic to the point of nothingness but that doesn't really mean the film will be shit

biggytitbo

I hope the ending is like a Croft and Perry sitcom like the original https://twitter.com/GregLongstreet/status/993892433271312384

Sebastian Cobb

this'll be shit, i reckon.

SavageHedgehog

I think it's a passable teaser, but not particularly enticing. I am big Shane Black fan and find the previous Predator films just OK, so I would be fine if this was another irreverent franchise addition like Iron Man 3, but with the reshoots it will probably wont be holistically satisfying to anyone.

Mango Chimes

I quite like the kid doing his Jumanji/Zathura bit at the beginning, but it becomes boring after that. Main bloke seems dull, Olivia Munn is doing Trad Slasher Movie acting, and it's just a lot of nothing. The worst thing is the "they're back, but this time they're becoming hybrids!" nonsense - so fuck, give it gazelle legs and its threat level is still 99% due to having lasers and rockets and cloaking device, surely.

phantom_power

I am not even sure who the main bloke is from that trailer.

Quote from: Mango Chimes on May 11, 2018, 09:28:49 AM
The worst thing is the "they're back, but this time they're becoming hybrids!" nonsense - so fuck, give it gazelle legs and its threat level is still 99% due to having lasers and rockets and cloaking device, surely.

The hybrid thing is only going to remind people of AvP 2, with the Predalien stuff. That's not a good association to make.

idunnosomename

That

BWAARMM

looks

BWARRMM

bobbins

St_Eddie

Quote from: Default to the negative on May 11, 2018, 11:54:36 AM
The hybrid thing is only going to remind people of AvP 2, with the Predalien stuff.

I'd say more like Gremlins 2, given that there's a spider-predator in this.  Yes, really.

Gregory Torso

Hoped this was going to be a Bill Cosby biopic.

Deanjam

Cosby vs Aliens. In prison no one can hear you scream.

momatt

Quote from: Default to the negative on May 11, 2018, 11:54:36 AM
The hybrid thing is only going to remind people of AvP 2, with the Predalien stuff. That's not a good association to make.

Bollocks.

Aliens = cool.
Predators = cool.

Predalien = double cool.

Basic maths mate.

St_Eddie

Quote from: momatt on May 11, 2018, 03:08:01 PM
Bollocks.

Aliens = cool.
Predators = cool.

Predalien = double cool.

Basic maths mate.

Two plus two does not equal five, mate.

momatt

Mate.
I never said 2+2=5.
That would be shit maths.

Did you not see the '∴'?

I like the AvP films.  They're silly and fun, not really trying to be Citizen Kane.  But instead has a load of monsters running about killing people.
Don't want to derail the thread though, soz.

New Predator film though, woo!
I had to look up Shane Black, he's done some cool stuff, so we might be in for a treat.

bgmnts

Is the assassin dude the kid at the beginning? Some time jump or something?

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on May 11, 2018, 05:07:44 PM
Is the assassin dude the kid at the beginning? Some time jump or something?

No, the boy at the beginning of the trailer is the mercenary's Son.