Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:00:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Predator

Started by St_Eddie, May 10, 2018, 02:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 20, 2018, 04:28:05 PM
Both have a blue light on the left and a red light on the right.

Navigational lights

Swoz_MK

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 15, 2018, 10:45:33 PM
Close call.  Had you purchased them yourself, then my mind would have been torn between love and hate; the opposing dilemma of which would most likely cause my head to explode in a violent shower of gore and grey matter.

Once this Funko Pop! fad comes to an end, there will be millions of cheap, semi-identical looking, oversized headed versions of Walter from Breaking Bad and Marvel superheroes, filling landfills the world over.  Future generations will excavate these ghastly figurines and lament their strawy role in breaking the camel of global warming's back.  Somewhere among the discarded pile of unwanted tat, a Native American Funko Pop! looks on and sheds a single tear from it's stupid ugly, souless eye.

Me and the Mrs have got loads of them. Drag queens, Elvira, Greedo, Leland bleedin' Palmer, all sorts. There'll be one of you eventually because you're so cool. And I'll lob it in a brook.

momatt

phantom_power

Why have them? Just a bit of fun. Nothing more. Nothing less. If you don't like them then fair enough but I don't see why it is worth getting annoyed at someone else's hobby

momatt

AAAAARRRRGH!  I WILL TRACK YOU DOWN AND FORCEFEED THOSE LITTLE DEAD EYED CUNTS TO YOU IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!

Nah, not really.  Fair dos mate.

I don't like them because of their design and the fact that they're made specifically to collect and nothing more.  Just seems rather cynical.
I like collecting 'proper' toys and then not playing with them ever.  Which is just as ridiculous.

Whatever makes you happy.  :)

Swoz_MK

Quote from: momatt on July 23, 2018, 04:03:58 PM
I like collecting 'proper' toys and then not playing with them ever.  Which is just as ridiculous.

As do we. These POPs are just something else for the collection. Inexpensive, easily available, stack nicely and they cover some pretty unexpected properties (I've got a Black Philip from The VVitch on the way). I think I've got pretty much every Greedo "thing" ever released. Including some absolute shite far worse than a Pop. A Hotwheels car in the shape of his fucking head for example, no way I wasn't getting the Pop too.

Anyway, Predator. That dog's a bit daft. Will watch it because I like the croaky noise PredPreds make. And the "WHATTOON" when our POV switches to theirs.

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on July 23, 2018, 03:30:37 PM
If you don't like them then fair enough but I don't see why it is worth getting annoyed at someone else's hobby

Because if I didn't get inordinately annoyed by Funko Pops!, then I'd be forced to apply some introspection upon myself and then that would be that.  BAM!  I'd be as dead eyed as a fucking Funko Pop!

phantom_power

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 24, 2018, 02:28:21 AM
Because if I didn't get inordinately annoyed by Funko Pops!, then I'd be forced to apply some introspection upon myself and then that would be that.  BAM!  I'd be as dead eyed as a fucking Funko Pop!

Or you could give in to their big eyed, mutated head charm and life would be full of quest and adventure! All life's problems would reduce down to one: tracking down that Alien 3 dog-creature Funko!

momatt

Their range is impressive, I'll give them that.
Any toy range that has the entire line of of Disney princesses as a 'Hipster' version has got a sense of humour.

New Jack

Hope the film isn't turn based. I don't think I'll want a turn!

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 24, 2018, 02:28:21 AM

Laughed

St_Eddie

New poster...

They're really pushing the boat out with the marketing campaign for this movie.  Just how do they come up with such original, out of left field, creative ideas?

I like the way that the colour is clashing with the tiny 'THE' above 'PREDATOR', making it extremely difficult to see.  Perhaps they're hoping to trick people into thinking that this is a reissue of the 1987 movie.

momatt

The 'THE' makes it looks like he has a really hot, but small cock.

Replies From View

Quote from: momatt on August 03, 2018, 10:07:43 AM
The 'THE' makes it looks like he has a really hot, but small cock.

Makes him a more evolved hunter.

momatt

The Bumlord

Quote from: Swoz_MK on July 23, 2018, 04:23:12 PM
And the "WHATTOON" when our POV switches to theirs.

Brilliant.

Sebastian Cobb

You know how in those Nigerian 419 scams they deliberately use shit English in the hope that it'll deter most people and leave them only absolute fuckwits to give a good grifting? Well that seems to be what they're doing with the marketing of this film. I can only assume the last poster wasn't shit enough.

Bogbrainedmurphy

Currently reading the prequel novel to this and consider my appetite whetted.

Malcy

Quote from: Bogbrainedmurphy on August 14, 2018, 09:24:52 AM
Currently reading the prequel novel to this and consider my appetite whetted.

Didn't know there was one. Will have a look for it.

Bogbrainedmurphy

Quote from: Malcy on August 14, 2018, 10:16:02 PM
Didn't know there was one. Will have a look for it.

"Predator: Hunters and Hunted" it's called. Doesnt actually focus much on the characters due to be in the film but it sets the world up quite nicely.

greenman

This now smells very strongly of something the studio has taken off the directors hands.

I'm guessing 5 years from now threads claiming "the directors cut of The Predator isn't that bad" will be fairly common.

St_Eddie

Quote from: greenman on August 15, 2018, 02:41:40 PM
This now smells very strongly of something the studio has taken off the directors hands.

I'm guessing 5 years from now threads claiming "the directors cut of The Predator isn't that bad" will be fairly common.

I doubt that there will be a director's cut because although all of the necessary footage was shot, the VFX were never completed for the discarded sequences.  The movie isn't tracking well and is likely to either underperform or outright bomb at the box office.  If so, then the studio are extremely unlikely to front the millions of dollars required to finish the effects for a director's cut.

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 15, 2018, 03:23:01 PM
I doubt that there will be a director's cut because although all of the necessary footage was shot, the VFX were never completed for the discarded sequences.  The movie isn't tracking well and is likely to either underperform or outright bomb at the box office.  If so, then the studio are extremely unlikely to front the millions of dollars required to finish the effects for a director's cut.

I'd guess it might depend one exactly how much your talking about, sometimes the driver for producing a different cut is actually to cry and claw back more budget on home release for something that hasn't done as well as hoped.

St_Eddie

Quote from: greenman on August 15, 2018, 05:14:51 PM
I'd guess it might depend one exactly how much your talking about, sometimes the driver for producing a different cut is actually to cry and claw back more budget on home release for something that hasn't done as well as hoped.

Well, yes but considering that the vast majority of changes made via reshoots are in regards to the movie's last act, where the protagonists face off against the hybrid-Predator, which is an entirely computer generated character, it would likely be cost-prohibitive to complete the VFX for that section of the movie.  Considering when this movie is being released (September - the dumping ground of movies), I think it's fair to say that Fox have no real faith in it and are likely hoping to breakeven or make a modest profit, at best.

Replies From View

What a worthwhile project to have bothered with in the first place, then.

Was it one of those things where they had to make a movie in order to keep the rights, like happened with Sony doing Spider-Man films?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The September release was the first warning sign. After the unfortunate and undeserved box office failure of The Nice Guys, I was hoping for this to be a hit. The billion dollar success of Iron Man 3 seems a long time ago now.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2018, 05:57:26 PM
Was it one of those things where they had to make a movie in order to keep the rights, like happened with Sony doing Spider-Man films?

It wasn't.  I don't know what they were thinking when they greenlit Shane Black and Fred Dekker's script, to be honest, as it's terrible.  It's hardly a surprise to anyone but 20th Century Fox that test audiences reacted badly, necessitating the extensive reshoots.

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on August 15, 2018, 09:11:26 PM
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-predator-reshoots-explained/

Aye, I've seen that before.  It's only half the story though (the positive side).  The fact is that a good deal of the reshoots were due to a poor reception from test screenings.