Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:10:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Predator

Started by St_Eddie, May 10, 2018, 02:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 11, 2018, 05:21:51 PM
No, the boy at the beginning of the trailer is the mercenary's Son.

Do you think he will become a Predator?

What if the Predator race (Yaunch or some shit I cant remember) recruit members of other races to become Predators?

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on May 11, 2018, 05:32:06 PM
Do you think he will become a Predator?

In a way, he does.  He uses the Predator tech to take out a school bully.

Quote from: bgmnts on May 11, 2018, 05:32:06 PMWhat if the Predator race (Yaunch or some shit I cant remember) recruit members of other races to become Predators?

There's a war in this movie between the regular Predators and the hybridsThe regular Predators team up with the human protagonists, to take on the hybrids, so in that respect, they do enlist another race to become fellow Predators.

phantom_power

What provenance does this script you have read got? What draft is it compared to what was filmed? A lot could have changed in the meantime

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on May 11, 2018, 06:24:59 PM
What provenance does this script you have read got? What draft is it compared to what was filmed? A lot could have changed in the meantime

It's an earlier draft from the final shooting script, to be sure (it leaked over a year ago) and undoubtedly things have changed since then.  However, everything in the trailer (and leaked set photos) matches up with what's in that earlier draft.

bgmnts

I was just joking. That's stupid.

greenman

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on May 11, 2018, 06:58:37 AM
I think it's a passable teaser, but not particularly enticing. I am big Shane Black fan and find the previous Predator films just OK, so I would be fine if this was another irreverent franchise addition like Iron Man 3, but with the reshoots it will probably wont be holistically satisfying to anyone.

The reshoots doesn't sound great I'd agree, hopefully though the trailer is underselling the comedy to appeal to the bro action market because really it doesn't seem that interesting as an action film.

St_Eddie

phantom_power

But then again...Shane Black. He seems to know what he is doing in pretty much everything else he has done.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

idunnosomename

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 11, 2018, 08:28:08 PM
"Over here."

THE THEREFORE SYMBOL LOOKS LIKE HIS LASER SIGHT

COME ON! KILL ME NOW!! I'M HERE!!!

The Predator really just wanted to show people some clever maths.

momatt

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 11, 2018, 08:34:57 PM
THE THEREFORE SYMBOL LOOKS LIKE HIS LASER SIGHT

COME ON! KILL ME NOW!! I'M HERE!!!

Oh fuck, that's cool.  Completely unintentional I admit.

Glebe

Quote from: momatt on May 13, 2018, 03:10:39 PMOh fuck, that's cool.  Completely unintestinal I admit.

This is intestinal :

momatt

saltysnacks

Official ranking of the Alien/Predator films:

Alien>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Predator>Alien 3>Aliens>Predator 2>AVP 2>AVP>Alien:Resurrection.

Alien is an art film, the rest are rated on entertainment level.

bgmnts

Aliens>Predator>Alien>Predator 2.

Ranking 80s sci fi films is my specialty!

St_Eddie

Quote from: saltysnacks on May 14, 2018, 10:31:16 PM
Alien is an art film, the rest are rated on entertainment level.

Absolutely, I've been saying this for years.  However, I don't lump the Predator movies in with the Alien series.  I consider the two to be very separate.  The AVP movies are an anomaly.  Alien Vs Predator 2 for the PC is a great game though, it must be said.

My own ratings would be (you forgot Prometheus and Alien Covenant, by the way)...

Alien (theatrical cut) > Alien 3 (assembly cut) > Aliens (special edition) >>> Alien Covenant >>>>>>>> Prometheus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alien Resurrection.

Predator > Predator 2 >>>>>> Predators.  I'm not really a fan of the series though.

Quote from: bgmnts on May 14, 2018, 10:41:57 PM
Ranking 80s sci fi films is my specialty!

Debatable.

saltysnacks

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 14, 2018, 10:49:07 PM
My own ratings would be (you forgot Prometheus and Alien Covenant, by the way)...

Alien (theatrical cut) > Alien 3 (assembly cut) > Aliens (special edition) >>> Alien Covenant >>>>>>>> Prometheus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alien Resurrection.

>
>
>
>
>
>

Predator > Predator 2 >>>>>> Predators.  I'm not really a fan of the series though.

Agree 100%. Yours is now the official ranking.

bgmnts

The Predator series has more amazing jokes in it than the Alien series.

So it wins.

Alien 3 above Aliens, I see. I've noticed this reevaluation of Alien 3 creeping in over the years. Nice try, but assembly cut or not the film is as bad now as it was back then.

The filmmakers were so inept they actually had to give this a trial run before they could see that it was a bad idea:

saltysnacks

Quote from: Default to the negative on May 14, 2018, 11:39:03 PM
Alien 3 above Aliens, I see. I've noticed this reevaluation of Alien 3 creeping in over the years. Nice try, but assembly cut or not the film is as bad now as it was back then.

The filmmakers were so inept they actually had to give this a trial run before they could see that it was a bad idea:

Your argument against the film is something that wasn't included?

The attempted-rape scene seemed an incredibly redundant thing to put into a series where people are chased by penis-shaped monsters and forcibly impregnated. Did they think we had somehow failed to understand the subtext?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Default to the negative on May 14, 2018, 11:39:03 PM

Nope. Not having it, mate.  Whether you like the film or not, the assembly cut is marked improvement.  You're talking about it as though it were vinegar.  Whereas, in reality, it's aged like a fine wine.  A fine wine, I tell you!

Quote from: Default to the negative on May 14, 2018, 11:39:03 PMThe filmmakers were so inept they actually had to give this a trial run before they could see that it was a bad idea:

Mate.

David Fincher is anything but inept.  Also, the whippet costume was conceived by Amalgamated Dynamics and as they themselves say on the 'making of' documentary; sometimes you try something crazy and it doesn't work out as you would have liked.  It just looks stupid.  All you can do is laugh and move on.

Quote from: Default to the negative on May 14, 2018, 11:49:29 PM
The attempted-rape scene seemed an incredibly redundant thing to put into a series where people are chased by penis-shaped monsters and forcibly impregnated. Did they think we had somehow failed to understand the subtext?

In a story about a lone woman, stranded on a prison planet that's full of convicted male rapists, it would seem a bit daft not to have that scene.

Steven

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 14, 2018, 11:49:39 PM
Nope. Not having it, mate.  Whether you like the film or not, the assembly cut is marked improvment.  Also, it's not vinegar.  It aged like a fine wine.

That's corked.

No, no, thrice no. Alien 3 in no way can be held above Aliens by any rational person, except if they're desperately trying to seem Bohemian because Aliens is a big Hollywood Balls To Walls Vietnam Movie In Space Wurgh Letsaveit affair. Ripley assuming a Jesus pose while high diving into a lake of lava while the Queen rips out of her? Mate.

saltysnacks

Quote from: Steven on May 14, 2018, 11:54:13 PM
That's corked.

No, no, thrice no. Alien 3 in no way can be held above Aliens by any rational person, except if they're desperately trying to seem Bohemian because Aliens is a big Hollywood Balls To Walls Vietnam Movie In Space Wurgh Letsaveit affair. Ripley assuming a Jesus pose while high diving into a lake of lava while the Queen rips out of her? Mate.

GAYM OVEHR MAYN!

saltysnacks

In all seriousness though, I genuinely think Alien 3 is better than Aliens. Aliens is nothing but an action film, and a James Cameron one at that. Alien 3 is a true sequel, a messy and imperfect one, but it at least attempts to develop the themes of the original. I don't think including actual rape alongside the symbolic rape of the Aliens is making things too obvious as not many people get the rape subtext. There's no arrow pointing the two together, rather it contributes to the hostile environment the film creates. It's not a great film, but it is very interesting. I never want to watch Aliens again, but I will return to Alien 3.

Mister Six

James Cameron action films are great, you fool.

Steven

Quote from: saltysnacks on May 15, 2018, 12:01:59 AM
In all seriousness though, I genuinely think Alien 3 is better than Aliens. Aliens is nothing but an action film, and a James Cameron one at that. Alien 3 is a true sequel, a messy and imperfect one, but it at least attempts to develop the themes of the original. I don't think including actual rape alongside the symbolic rape of the Aliens is making things too obvious as not many people get the rape subtext. There's no arrow pointing the two together, rather it contributes to the hostile environment the film creates. It's not a great film, but it is very interesting. I never want to watch Aliens again, but I will return to Alien 3.

Aliens is very entertaining, it develops some of the life-cycle ideas of the xenomorph in an interesting way.. the Queen etc which were used in Alien 3, it also came up with a believable way to use Ripley as a protagonist yet again because of her previous experience and show her smarts make her more of a survivor than a bunch of dumb marines waving their dicks around. Plays with Ripley's motherhood what with her daughter dying of old age and Newt being the surrogate she tries to protect.. and Burke trying to rape Newt by proxy for The Company. It's a big dumb Hollywood movie but achieves exactly what it sets out to do, ramps up the tension and keeps it going, plus twice manages to give you a false expectation of it being the ending. Alien 3 is dull as fuck, some interesting ideas.. especially as it was initially meant to be a Space-Monastary, but it's just a mess and by the time it develops into the whole 'alien picking off each person one by one' segment my tits are officially bored-off. A lot of the characters are just a mess and easily dispensible.

St_Eddie

Sorry, I double posted by mistake when trying to multi-quote.