Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

Started by dan dirty ape, February 20, 2004, 11:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan dirty ape

In light of all the recent Dangermouse 'Jay Z vs. Beatles' cut up shenanigans, I've been drawn back to this indisputably fantastic album (one track, 'The Sounds Of Science', blends the guitars from 'The End' with the drumbeat from 'Sgt. Pepper's Reprise' to stunning effect, y'see), the album that got me into the multitextural brain expanding sphere of hip hop in the first place, one of the few LPs I know every inch of to heart, the Beastie Boys' lyrical and musical apex (they've done plenty of good stuff musically since, but lyrically have come nowhere close to this one album, compare the downright clumsy cat-mat-rat rhymes of 'Alive' and 'In A World Gone Mad' to the freewheeling, trash culture saturated lunacy of tracks like 'Car Thief' and 'Shadrach').

By god I love this album.

mr rou-rou

cracking albums. PB, IC, CYH & HN are in my car's CD wallet so they get a regular airing.

QuoteThe Beastie Boys are planning a June release for their long-awaited sixth album. The set will be the New York trio's first collection of new material since Hello Nasty six years ago.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=19355

if it ever happens, more delay than a King Tubby special.

dan dirty ape

After six years I'm hoping for something better than laurel resting.  Fingers crossed.

Doctor Stamen

Paul's Boutique is indeed great, but I still prefer Check Your Head which is the fucking nuts.

TOCMFIC

Ah, the Beasties. Been getting into them recently. Actually rap in general. (Been listening to Wu Tang.)

My favourite Beasties track is still Sabotage I think.

dan dirty ape

Ta, splattermac. Downloaded 'Loose Booty', the Sly Stone track that forms much of the basis of the Beastie's 'Shadrach', thanks to that site.  Fantastic tune it is too.