Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:00:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frightened Rabbit singer goes missing; body found

Started by Blinder Data, May 11, 2018, 10:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44079462

What a dreadful situation.

Never listened to them myself (always seemed a bit too emotive for my tastes) but I will now

king_tubby

purlieu

Got Sing the Greys on as we speak. One of my favourite albums. The later stuff never gelled with me quite so much, but this album is bloody incredible. Really heartbreaking news. What a shit way to start a day.

lipsink

It's terrible. I fucking love 'The Midnight Organ Fight' and they've done some absolutely gorgeous music. His last 2 tweets are just heartbreaking. I can't imagine how helpless his family and friends must've felt after reading them and not being able to contact him.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 11, 2018, 10:07:49 AM
Never listened to them myself (always seemed a bit too emotive for my tastes) but I will now

Why?

BlodwynPig

holyzombiejesus

It wasn't a criticism, I'm just puzzled why people listen to music they haven't previously liked just because the singer has died.

BlodwynPig

Similar to all those republicans descending on buck palace when Di died

Dr Trouser

I've never heard of the band until I read about him going missing, it's because I'm an old fart and am still struggling to come to terms with no longer having melody maker to tell me about new music. Anyway I had a listen and it's not bad, I can see why a lot of people will miss him.

Mind you it does worry me that I might only find out about some bands if they make the news...

Dog Botherer

Ah fuck, I saw that he was missing and was hoping for the best. I used to be really into them about 4 years ago or so, had some fantastic songs.

Glebe

I've not heard of them, but that is of course terribly sad news in any case.

Really sad news. As for people seeing bands in a different way once the singer dies that's a whole other thread.

rue the polywhirl

Sad news. Will put on Bright Eyes in tribute (I'm not sure if I know any other songs by them).

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 11, 2018, 12:25:44 PM
It wasn't a criticism, I'm just puzzled why people listen to music they haven't previously liked just because the singer has died.

Because it obviously meant a lot to some people and there might be something there that you missed?

Anyway, he was a bit of a fixture on the live scene here and so I inadvertently managed to see him live a number of times - most recently at Christmas at the Neu Reekie! night with Bill Drummond, where he performed a Tom Petty tribute set.  It really all was rather lovely. RIP.

Waking Life

The Midnight Organ Fight is a really good album, although didn't really gel with the others. I hadn't played it in years but still really enjoyed it when I gave it a recent spin. The bare-all lyrics were part of the appeal, but Floating In The Forth is a very uncomfortable listen. His last interview (which I happened to read the day before he disappeared) mentioned he had been 90% towards the suicide described in the song. Very sad.

saltysnacks

Had the pleasure of meeting Scott Hutchinson at a charity do once. He was unsurprisingly down to earth, and VERY sad.