Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:46:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Identify a probably shit PC game I played as a child

Started by ASFTSN, May 11, 2018, 10:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

For some reason I've not been able to track this down, and I think it's because it was so generic.

I played it on a demo disc around 1994-5, probably from one of the less exciting PC gaming mags (probably PCGamer rather than the insanely transgressive (to my 9 year old brain) PCZone).

Side scrolling platformer/shooter hybrid, where you played a bloke in a faceless mask running around some sort of "facility" shooting winged and un-winged HR Giger rip-off type beasties.  Some of them were hidden in the underside of platforms and would flip down and attack you as you ran past.  All of the aliens were dark green in colour, and the palette of everything was generally quite muted.

The level began with a view of a the main character on a lift platform descending off the bottom of the screen, pumping a shotgun.

I swear it was called something like

Phylox
Xyolx
Phylon
Xyloxn
Zyllox

etc.

biggytitbo

thraxx

gmoney

I'm going to immediately hijack this to ask my own question. Does anyone remember a PC game from around 95-97 set in a village or town where you fought a bear (maybe a wolf?) It was 3D and the graphics were pretty primitive. There was something about a diary in it as well I think. I remember something about a teddy bear. We used to play it about the same time as we played the underrated Normality.

I've got a sinking feeling that I asked about this before and it was answered, which worries me.

surreal

Quote from: ASFTSN on May 11, 2018, 10:21:15 AM
For some reason I've not been able to track this down, and I think it's because it was so generic.

I played it on a demo disc around 1994-5, probably from one of the less exciting PC gaming mags (probably PCGamer rather than the insanely transgressive (to my 9 year old brain) PCZone).

Side scrolling platformer/shooter hybrid, where you played a bloke in a faceless mask running around some sort of "facility" shooting winged and un-winged HR Giger rip-off type beasties.  Some of them were hidden in the underside of platforms and would flip down and attack you as you ran past.  All of the aliens were dark green in colour, and the palette of everything was generally quite muted.

The level began with a view of a the main character on a lift platform descending off the bottom of the screen, pumping a shotgun.

Was it "Abuse"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8cYYPpRbool

I think it is "abandonware" and you should be able to get it free now...  It was fucking brilliant too. Pretty sure I might have a copy knocking about somewhere

Phil_A

Quote from: gmoney on May 11, 2018, 11:46:06 AM
I'm going to immediately hijack this to ask my own question. Does anyone remember a PC game from around 95-97 set in a village or town where you fought a bear (maybe a wolf?) It was 3D and the graphics were pretty primitive. There was something about a diary in it as well I think. I remember something about a teddy bear. We used to play it about the same time as we played the underrated Normality.

I've got a sinking feeling that I asked about this before and it was answered, which worries me.

Ecstatica?

ASFTSN

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 11, 2018, 11:37:07 AM
Possibly Zyclunt or Xargon?

It's that sort of game but I'm sure you played as a human, and those are too brightly coloured.

Quote from: surreal on May 11, 2018, 12:10:17 PM
Was it "Abuse"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8cYYPpRbool

I think it is "abandonware" and you should be able to get it free now...  It was fucking brilliant too. Pretty sure I might have a copy knocking about somewhere

This looks quite similar to what I'm picturing, with the right colours (and looks like a really good game!) but too well-crafted to be the game I'm thinking of I think.  Plus I'm almost certain it had the nonsensical title because as a child I thought made up names like "Xargoxx" were the coolest thing ever and I still do.

the

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 11, 2018, 11:37:07 AMPossibly Zyclunt or Xargon?

"Zyclunt"?! Amazing!

What an astonishing failure to make up a convincing evocative name. Superb!

ASFTSN

Found it by not being a dick that doesn't understand google.

It WAS called Phylox.

ASFTSN

I remember thinking this tunnel was the height of nightmarish, claustrophobic science-fiction.

Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

St_Eddie

Moribunderast

Well, since this thread is now open to hijacking: can anyone name for me an old pc game (thinking it would have been released somewhere between 91-94?) about trying to conquer various kingdoms and castles... I played it as a child once on some family friend's computer and loved it because it had sword fights and jousting contests when you tried to take over a castle. I've searched abandonware sites in the past and have not found anything that looks quite right. Help me.

gmoney

ASFTSN

Quote from: Moribunderast on May 11, 2018, 03:43:18 PM
Well, since this thread is now open to hijacking: can anyone name for me an old pc game (thinking it would have been released somewhere between 91-94?) about trying to conquer various kingdoms and castles... I played it as a child once on some family friend's computer and loved it because it had sword fights and jousting contests when you tried to take over a castle. I've searched abandonware sites in the past and have not found anything that looks quite right. Help me.

Heroes of Might and Magic perhaps?

St_Eddie

Quote from: gmoney on May 11, 2018, 03:43:50 PM
I owe you NOTHING

Well, you may not owe me anything but could I at least borrow some gratitude?  I'll pay you back when I can.

Quote from: Moribunderast on May 11, 2018, 03:43:18 PM

Defender of the Crown, mate.

Desirable Industrial Unit

The jousting makes it 99% certain that it's Defender of the Crown, but let's keep 1% back for Iron Lord if it isn't.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on May 12, 2018, 01:00:52 AM
The jousting makes it 99% certain that it's Defender of the Crown...

My thinking, exactly.  I can't think of another game which fits the description, jousting and all.

MjjW

I have two please.

1. Game I played early-mid 90s I think on an old Apple computer. Involved fighting through different levels in a tower after you picked a character, wizard type was my choice. You found and used different types of wands to defeat enemies.

2. Slightly later mid 90s. Used Windows commands to run this game around same time was playing DOOM I think. Featured a yellow protagonist I think (Not a Simpson or Asian) and was a pointy clicky game. I remember turning taps on and flooding the public toilet floor which revealed something very early in the game.

I thought I had successfully identified another one from years ago as The Bard's Tale, but I've just looked and that didn't seem to feature the Shakespeare based wordsearch that I remember trying to complete over and over without any knowledge of the subject. Dammit. This thread has sucked knowledge away. That's 3 then.

earl_sleek

Future racer game on PC, mid-nineties-ish. I remember it mainly not for the gameplay, but the "prizes" you could win, and the cheesy way the host (the plot, such as it was, was that you were a competitor in a game show) announced what you had won, eg "an extra pair of arms! Now you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time" or just "covers for your car seats". The latter especially keeps popping into my head since my car seats have no covers.

Bhazor

JesusAndYourBush

gabrielconroy

I used to love Defender of the Crown on the Atari ST. I just downloaded STEEM and played an emulation with Geoffrey Longsword.

Captured one territory with an army of 5 soldiers, 4 of whom were killed by peasants, then the game crashed. That's that then.

neardark

Anyone remember a game called Bioforge? Think it was called that. Used to try playing it on an Amiga 1200 but used to crash at the same point everytime (about 20 seconds) after the beginning which gave it mythical status in my young mind. The main character looked vaguely like Robocop without his helmet.

Cerys

Quote from: MjjW on May 12, 2018, 05:16:43 PM
I have two please.

1. Game I played early-mid 90s I think on an old Apple computer. Involved fighting through different levels in a tower after you picked a character, wizard type was my choice. You found and used different types of wands to defeat enemies.

Ravenskull?

FredNurke

Quote from: neardark on May 12, 2018, 10:11:25 PM
Anyone remember a game called Bioforge? Think it was called that. Used to try playing it on an Amiga 1200 but used to crash at the same point everytime (about 20 seconds) after the beginning which gave it mythical status in my young mind. The main character looked vaguely like Robocop without his helmet.
Oh god, that game is the creepiest thing ever. Horrifying.