Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I hear you're a parasitic member of the rentier class now, doppelkorn.

Started by doppelkorn, May 13, 2018, 08:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Danger Man on May 13, 2018, 01:07:35 PM
If you want right-wing, just chuck some money at any Corbyn supporter on here!

Because Corbyn supporters don't support charities or disadvantaged people?  I don't get it.

Edit:  Oh, is it the chestnut that because you vote selfishly and behave selfishly with money, it must surely be human nature?  And it must especially be the nature of Corbyn supporters, because they are the most hypocritical people on earth, or something.

It's that, isn't it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 13, 2018, 02:37:39 PM
I need to move in a hurry. Going to sell to one of those distressed property buyer cash now hard types who will make it a student rental.

Be careful, they have a tendency to aggressively outbid everyone then find ways to lower the asking price afterwards.

Sebastian Cobb

Profiting off another person's labour merely by owning property makes one a parasite in my eyes.

Alberon

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 13, 2018, 02:37:39 PM
I need to move in a hurry. Going to sell to one of those distressed property buyer cash now hard types who will make it a student rental.

That's as good as being a landlord yourself.

One of us. One of us!

Danger Man

Quote from: Replies From View on May 13, 2018, 02:53:10 PM
Edit:  Oh, is it the chestnut that because you vote selfishly

I don't vote.

But at least I don't start 'please tell me I'm not a cunt when I obviously am one' threads.

bgmnts

I'm not a cunt, dont ask if i am a cunt, am generally left wing and done vote selfishly.

I do like tofu though, does that ruin my credit rating?

doppelkorn

Quote from: Danger Man on May 13, 2018, 03:59:45 PM
But at least I don't start 'please tell me I'm not a cunt when I obviously am one' threads.

I'm not that bloody naive. I was just interested to see what level of vitriol I'd attract. Shoulders's song was a highlight.

doppelkorn

Zetetic

I'm fairly confident that doppelkorn knew what he was doing when he started this thread - I don't think that this is any sort of revision on his part.

dozybugcarrot

Quote from: doppelkorn on May 13, 2018, 05:00:30 PM
I'm not that bloody naive. I was just interested to see what level of vitriol I'd attract. Shoulders's song was a highlight.

I don't get the vitriol really. Some landlords act like cunts, but not all of them. Agencies are shit, but they can be a buffer between tenants (who can also be cunts) and the landlord, so I understand the appeal. If nobody rented out, I wouldn't have anywhere to live, and I'm guessing a lot of you would either. The system is a bit fucked, granted, but we're all in it, scrabbling around trying to survive. Apart from the cunts I work for, who buy houses for millions on a whim and then never use them. Compared to them, somebody just renting out a house looks pretty much like the rest of us.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I live with my landlord and they're a great bunch of lads. They actually lowered the rent last year.

manticore

I've lived in various privately rented accomodation for 36 years. What would I have done without these landlord people? There aren't enough council or housing association places. I'm lucky in that of over twenty landlord/ladies I haven't had a really evil one yet.

My experience of letting agencies is that they are mostly bad people, but how practicable would it be for doppelkorn to look after his property from Manchester?

Edit: I do think it's helpful that I have a 'respectable' accent and mien though. I heard one of my landlords talking to a couple of Irish tenants and he was horrible to them.

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Zetetic on May 13, 2018, 05:16:12 PM
I'm fairly confident that doppelkorn knew what he was doing when he started this thread - I don't think that this is any sort of revision on his part.

Sure, it's clear from the thread title. I'm just glad he's not been disappointed. But as he said himself, what now? Are we in a position to absolve him of his sins, or do we need to call a priest, or something?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: manticore on May 13, 2018, 05:44:15 PM
I've lived in various privately rented accomodation for 36 years. What would I have done without these landlord people? There aren't enough council or housing association places.

i wonder if these things may be related?

manticore

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 13, 2018, 05:54:25 PM
i wonder if these things may be related?

Yes, indeed, that's a very fair point.

I suppose it's just hard for me to hate people I've relied on for shelter my whole adult life, and who haven't really shat on me yet. I don't hate them any more than the rest of the capitalist class, some of whom are in some ways nice people.

Icehaven

Quote from: manticore on May 13, 2018, 05:44:15 PM

Edit: I do think it's helpful that I have a 'respectable' accent and mien though. I heard one of my landlords talking to a couple of Irish tenants and he was horrible to them.

A flat I rented with a boyfriend years ago was through a letting agent, and after we'd paid the fees and passed all the 'checks' etc. we were told the landlord just wanted to meet us before we got the keys, so we duly turned up at the flat and before we'd really said anything he said "OK, I'm happy, all good." So we could only guess it was because we were white, British and not bagheads.

spamwangler

im glad that nothing i ever do employs outside agencies with questionable morals.

[typed from iphone 6 or whatever]

I bought a buy to let place last year.  Had a reasonable amount of cash saved so thought it would be a good long term investment.  Spent alot of money furnishing the place to a high standard only for some of it to be trashed. More hassle then it's worth so thinking of selling it.

Twed

Quote from: spamwangler on May 13, 2018, 09:02:48 PM
im glad that nothing i ever do employs outside agencies with questionable morals.

[typed from iphone 6 or whatever]
https://thenib.com/mister-gotcha

Shit Good Nose

I work with two people who both have small property "empires" in and around Bristol (one is already very well off and could probably retire now to be honest - he's 46 - whilst the other - a woman in her mid 30s - is playing the long game and is looking to start her own redevelopment company), and they (independently of each other) both say that decent letting agents are worth their weight in gold, and especially come into their own in the case of a problem tenant.

However, they've also both said (independently of each other) that finding a decent letting agent is incredibly difficult and can only really be done by trying them out until you find one.  And 9 out of 10 of them are cunts who do fuck all for their money.

Paul Calf

That figure rises to around 10/10 from the point of view of the tenant.

Sebastian Cobb

Owning property for rental should be taxed to the point of it being less profitable than general investment; if you have money and want to make more of it I don't see why you can't throw it at an advisor without fucking things up for people who want shelter.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 13, 2018, 11:02:47 PM
That figure rises to around 10/10 from the point of view of the tenant.

Oh, I'm sure it does.  As it is, it's the sort of thing I doubt I will ever have any direct experience of.  By my calcs we'll finish paying the mortgage off on our current place when I'm 68 and Mrs Nose is 71, and that's assuming one of us doesn't become unemployed at any point in the meantime.

Zetetic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 13, 2018, 11:19:12 PM
Owning property for rental should be taxed to the point of it being less profitable than general investment
It's hard to see how that wouldn't generally be compensated for with rent rises, so you'd need to link it to rent controls.

Or you'd need to take the tax out in blood.

Danger Man

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 13, 2018, 11:20:29 PM
Oh, I'm sure it does.  As it is, it's the sort of thing I doubt I will ever have any direct experience of.  By my calcs we'll finish paying the mortgage off on our current place when I'm 68 and Mrs Nose is 71, and that's assuming one of us doesn't become unemployed at any point in the meantime.

You'll probably go for equity release at some point and be paying the businessman back until you die.

And why not?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Danger Man on May 13, 2018, 11:25:03 PM
You'll probably go for equity release at some point and be paying the businessman back until you die.

And why not?

We won't, as my parents did that.