Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:23:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Evil Genius: The True Story of America's Most Diabolical Bank Heist

Started by biggytitbo, May 13, 2018, 02:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

I forgot to mention my favourite line:

"We decapitated the head lovingly."

lankyguy95

^
My favourite too.

I came away disliking Rothstein as much as I did Diehl. I think he was more active in the planning than the documentary seemed to conclude. I mean, the complexity of the scavenger hunt heist is surely unnecessary if Diehl just wanted money isn't it? Whereas for Rothstein, the ridiculous overly-elaborate plan seems to fit more neatly if he wanted to show off his 'intelligence' while not getting caught. To me, it seems more likely that they both had a fairly equal part in the planning, rather than her being the mastermind behind it.

Cuellar

I suppose if he hadn't gone and died they'd have focused on him as much as Diehl. If they could talk to him.

Brundle-Fly

There is definitely a The Residents album in this tale. Kenneth Barnes reminded me a lot of a Homer Flynn character.

EOLAN

Just watched it. Was a compelling start with the crime but didn't draw me in. I think part of it was that Diehl just wasn't a compelling character. She came away like a ranter despite the narrator continuously trying to persuade us that there was a lot more depth.
Rothstein looked the far more compelling character especially in those clips of his showing the polices around the house where the body in the freezer was found.

Blumf

The crime itself was interesting, and the peek under the surface of a small town added extra insight. But the film itself dragged a bit, I think they could have gotten more out of it by easing off the Diehl stuff and exploring the the drugs and prostitution side of the story a bit more instead, flesh out the world. Also, could they have done more on Pinetti, who seemed to be almost forgotten in the tale.

Still, such a crazy case, and a shame they couldn't have gotten more of Rothstein.

paruses

Quote from: EOLAN on May 23, 2018, 01:20:47 PM
Just watched it. Was a compelling start with the crime but didn't draw me in. I think part of it was that Diehl just wasn't a compelling character. She came away like a ranter despite the narrator continuously trying to persuade us that there was a lot more depth.
Rothstein looked the far more compelling character especially in those clips of his showing the polices around the house where the body in the freezer was found.

Agreed - I think I sleepwatched the third episode just gathering the facts rather than being engaged. It would pique my interest at times but you're dead right that the reason is Diehl isn't that interesting once the focus is on her. Rothstein is of more interest - but then that may well have been because he's so inaccessible.

Depressed Beyond Tables

This suffers from the same issue as many other shows nowadays. Pacing. It's far too slow and drawn out.

Wild, Wild West is another. Get on with it.

imitationleather

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on June 19, 2018, 04:26:16 PM
Wild, Wild West is another. Get on with it.

I assume you mean Wild, Wild Country and not the Will Smith film.

That really could have done without the first couple of episodes that were almost entirely about how great it is to be in a cult, with no kind of suggestion of the turn it was going to take. I only ended up watching all of it because I read the Wikipedia page to see why the fuck those guys deserved a documentary at all.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: imitationleather on June 19, 2018, 04:27:44 PM
I assume you mean Wild, Wild Country and not the Will Smith film.

That really could have done without the first couple of episodes that were almost entirely about how great it is to be in a cult, with no kind of suggestion of the turn it was going to take. I only ended up watching all of it because I read the Wikipedia page to see why the fuck those guys deserved a documentary at all.

Correct, my mistake. Wild Wild West is a smashing film and if anything, at 1h 47m, is a little on the short side.

imitationleather

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on June 19, 2018, 11:51:46 PM
Correct, my mistake. Wild Wild West is a smashing film and if anything, at 1h 47m, is a little on the short side.

It's a Popcorn Classic alright.