Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,478
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:48:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taffy drops a banger

Started by Chairman Bodog, May 13, 2018, 10:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Bodog

Let's shatchit about Welsh artists.

My dumps include Traumatik's Mushy https://youtu.be/mfzUtHInA80

TJ's dead in a pussy coff, wooden trenchcoat.

https://youtu.be/yzx0HTCuydg

Chairman Bodog

Any Welsh artists that mean shit? Dun thinkso.

daf

Ryan Davies - Ti a Dy Ddoniau   ('You and Your Talents')

I always assumed this was a cover of an Elvis tune, but I think it's actually a Ryan original - early 70's probably (The Big Pelvis never recorded it anyway).
Total standard in Wales - seems crop up in every other Noson Lawen.

O ble ges ti'r ddawn i dorri calone? / Oh where did you get the talent to break hearts?
O ble ges ti'r ddawn o ddweud y celwydde? / Oh where did you get the talent for telling the lies?
Ac o ble ges ti'r wen . . / And from where did you get the smile . . 
A dau lygaid mor tyner / and two eyes so tender,
Ac o ble get ti'r tinc . . / And from where did you get the lilt . .
Yn dy la-a-A-A-A-IS . . . / in your vo-o-O-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE . . .

OS MAI HY-Y-YN / IF THI-I-IS . .
OEDD DY FWRIAD / WAS YOUR INTENTION,
I'M GWNEUD I YN FFWL / TO MAKE ME A FOOL,
WEL DO MI LWYDDAIST / WELL YES YOU SUCCEEDED,
Mi lwyddaist yn llawn / you succeeded in full

- (mops brow with silk cravat) -

Ond your hyn rwyf am wybod yn awr / But the thing I would know now,
Dwed i mi , o dwed i mi / tell to me, oh tell to me,
Lle ges ti'r ddawn / where did you get the talent?

Neville Chamberlain

If I've understood your opening post correctly, I like Datblygu and Klaus Kinski and The Victorian English Gentlemen's Club.

Norton Canes

Gwenno's stuff should tick all my boxes - analogue electronics, ethereal vocals, sci-fi concepts, general Broadcast-y vibe - but she keeps forgetting to write any actual tunes

Kane Jones

Those Welsh Rarebeat compilations Finders Keepers put out had some cool stuff on them.

spamwangler

Cardiff's tantrum records stuff seems so far up your street its knocking over your pot plants Bodog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTDcDLUIzxk
Feat. Cardiffs own Bin Bothering local character ':Ninjah'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeQUXsFOxrs

theyre a bit jeremy from peep show for me but still.
i would be more surprised if you weren't part of their crew really.

Outside of an OCEAN of shite dreary 60s psycadeilc nostalgia, there is at least future of the left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60COw25TL00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCecMdknpTg

daf

Wildly inconsistent new wave band Ail Symudiad (Second Movement) from Aberteifi occasionally popped out a sunshine spangled gem.

This one from their 1982 debut platter Sefyll ar y Sgwar (Standing on the Square):
Ail Symudiad - Beth Yw Hyn

Amynedd . . . sydd yn rhedeg mâs  / Patience . . .  which is running out
Gyda'r Wlad sydd ddim / With the Country which isn't
Sydd ddim hanner call / Which 'isn't half sane' (= 'is mad')
Beth yw hyn? / What is this?
Beth yw hyn i ni . .  / What is this to us . .
wrth edrych ar y gwir. / While looking at the truth.

Beth sydd angen arnom ni / What we need
I ddweud yn hollol ddiffuant / To say in total sincerity
Bywyd agweddau sydd / Attitudes to life which are
(Yn) galw am chwyldro yn fuan / Calling for a revolution soon

Beth yw hyn? / What is this?
Does dim synwyr o gwbl / There's no sense at all

Glebe

QuoteTaffy drops a banger

A new war memoir, available in Poundland - now! Price £2.99.

[tag]Rwyf Wrth Fy Modd Fy Radio[/tag]

daf

Bando - Y 'Space Invaders' (1980)
Strong shades of Liquid Gold here - and all the better for it!

This is probably THE Welsh disco record - no 'Twmpath Dawns' at Glanllyn or Llangranog would be complete without it. Stlll gets a weekly (possibly daily) spin on Radio Cymru 38 years later!

Bando were essentially the Welsh Wrecking Crew with Caryl Parry Jones handling the vocal duties (having previously contibuted the classic 'Calon' to mid 70's heavy rockers 'Injaroc'), and going on to be one of the Judges on S4C's Pop Idol knock-off "Waw Ffactor" (which featured a pre-breakthough Duffy)  along with Producer Aled from the Chris Moyles show

Dwi'n codi'n fore / I rise in the morning
Syllu ar y ser / Gaze at the stars
Fel y tabledi / Like the tablets (?)
Rhai arwyr y gem / the heroes of the game (I THINK this is right, but it might also be 'arwydd y geg' = 'sign of the mouth' . . . god knows!)
Bys ar y botwn / Finger on the button
Lygad wrth Llyw / eye on the (steering) wheel (it could be 'lliw' - which is 'colour', but I'm taking this to mean the 'left/right' joystick)
Rhaid baeddu'r gelyn / Have to defeat(?) the enemy ('baeddu' is actually to get something dirty, but I can't honestly hear what else it could be. 'kill' woud be 'lladd' for example)
Mi gadw'n fyw / To keep me alive
- - - - - -
chorus :
Chwarae peiriant fideo / Playing (the) video machine
(FIDEO!) / (VIDEO!)
Ar p'nawn dydd Sadwrn oer / on a cold Sat-ur-day
Wo-Wo-w / Woah-Woah-Woh
Bomiau'n disgyn ar fy mhen / Bombs dropping on my head
O'r Anghenfil yn y Lloer / from the Monster in the Moon
- - - - - -
Sefyll yn stond / Standing still
Fy mywyd yn gawl / My life is soup (as in : 'Jenkinson! you're really in the soup this time!')
Fy nhro i yn dw-w-w-ad / my turn is co-o-o-ming
I (?)'r diawl / to (?) the devil (can't make it out - logically is should be something like 'confront')
Gamblo fy mywyd / Gambing my life
Cythraul y nen / Beast of the heaven
Mae'r llais yn galw / The voice is calling
Mae fy gem ar ben / My game's at an end

Cuellar

Campbell Soupe

Chairman Bodog

Quote from: Glebe on May 14, 2018, 11:12:05 PM
A new war memoir, available in Poundland - now! Price £2.99.

Everything is a pound, you fucking terrorist.

Ferris

One of the few British-isms I still use is "taffed" for "stolen".

Am I evil y/n?

Chairman Bodog

It's mildly villainous, akin to teasing a pup or not washing the insides of a posh wank, but it's entirely vindicated. Let's face it, nobody knows more thieving cunt Walians than I do.

kalowski

Taffy drops a banger, and a mouse is there
Puts his hands together, and a seagull takes the air...

daf

Tŷ Gwydr - Ffwnci (1991)

Track 2 of the Reu 12" ep - and the best thing on it. A rap / dance duo in the KLF / Shamen mode.

QuoteFormed in 1989 from the debris of industrial funk pranksters Traddodiad Ofnus by Mark Lugg and Gareth Potter, Tŷ Gwydr vowed to infuse the Welsh language pop scene with the energy and squelchyness of the club scene they had become so totally immersed in and to get Wales dancing.

Tŷ Gwydr is Welsh for Greenhouse - literally 'Glass House' - probably a playful reference to the then current 'house' scene.

My sister won a huge bedsheet sized hand painted fluorescent backdrop used in Tŷ Gwydr Gigs in a Radio competition in the early nineties - much too large to display, it ended up sitting folded up at the bottom of my t-shirt drawer for the next 25 years.

Ooh - Wicked, Eh? Wicked, Eh?

JesusAndYourBush

QuoteTaffy drops a banger

And a mouse is there

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on May 18, 2018, 10:14:40 PM
Taffy drops a banger, and a mouse is there
Puts his hands together, and a seagull takes the air...
Grrrr

JesusAndYourBush

Sorry.  I did ctrl-f (find) as well.  Bugger didn't work.

bgmnts

Maeeee hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i miiiiiiii

Chairman Bodog

Quote from: Misspent Boners on May 21, 2018, 10:58:12 PM
My band are Welsh. Here's a very sneaky look at our recent debut studio efforts if anyone fancies a listen

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/6a1f10a752d7e242a9e480050392435120180520223934/84c7d871a3b21667de9a593ea6eb0ffb20180520223934/81fb5b?utm_campaign=WT_email_tracking&utm_content=general&utm_medium=download_button&utm_source=notify_recipient_email

Not too tasty, not too hasty. Nah, scratch that rush. You have a delectably dulcet tone reminiscent of hypno liqueurs. It's like if Editors jelqed a hard headed spotted dick. Rich enough to have holes you can slide in. I dig it like a fold.

Trust me to send this round.

Quote from: Chairman Bodog on May 21, 2018, 11:12:47 PM
Not too tasty, not too hasty. Nah, scratch that rush. You have a delectably dulcet tone reminiscent of hypno liqueurs. It's like if Editors jelqed a hard headed spotted dick. Rich enough to have holes you can slide in. I dig it like a fold.

Trust me to send this round.

I genuinely don't know if most of this feedback is good or bad; nonetheless I will choose to take it as a compliment

Chairman Bodog

It's all good. You're good.

daf

Initially HUGELY influenced by U2, This 3/4 welsh speaking four-piece from Aberteifi (Cardigan), released cassette albums on the the local 'Fflach' label (set up by Richard & Wyn from the wildly inconsistent 'Beth Yw Hyn' Hitmakers Ail Symudiad) between 1987 and 1992.

Here they are live in Prague with one of their most U2 influenced songs from their first album - Ysbryd Y Dydd ("Spirit of the Day")

The stand-out track from their second album 'Y Gath' (The Cat') from 1989 : Wah - still very much in the U2 zone

The Stone Roses would influence one of their most popular radio hits - Julia Gitâr from their 1990 'classic' third album "Hyfryd i Fod yn Fyw" ("Lovely to be Alive") (their only album also to be released on CD - there's posh!)

Here's a few more of my favourites from that album (which runs as two solid slabs of segued songs over each side):
your Afal ("The Apple") - listen to that incredible bass lick at 4 minutes in!
Rhyddhad  ("Relief") - love the build up of the multiple harmonies towards the end

Mike Peters from '68 Guns' Hitmakers The Alarm, and general "good egg" contributes backing vocals to two tracks on the album, here's he on the album closer :
Glaw '91  - a revamped version of the early song "Pan Mae'r Glaw yn Dod i Lawr" ("When the rain comes down") from their first album.

Unfortunately Peters, from the 'Where Were You Hiding When The Storm Broke' Hitmakers, also unwittingly contributed to the first cracks in the band, when he took three fourths of them out on tour as his backing band - Brychan, the singer, was left behind to twiddle his thumbs.

A fourth album was released on cassette, and highlights from that re-recorded as english versions in a doomed attempt to break out into the 'next level'. Unlike Catatonia, or Super Furry Animals, the lyrics just sounded really awkward in English - a flavour of which can be gleaned by the terrible title chosen for the cassette : "Sextravaganja" - https://rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/jess_f2/sextravaganja/ (Blork!)

They did make a start on a fifth album, but apparently the spark had gone, and the band eventually fizzled out (the demos from these session surfaced online a few years ago, posted by the band themselves - having reformed for Bryn Terfel's 'Tân y Ddraig' concert)

Brychan went to live in Italy for a while, Emyr (bass) to TV presenting, and Chris (guitar) and Owen (drums) to briefly form the band Cartoon - who got single of the week on the first week of Mark and Lard's ill-fated Breakfast show, and championed by the equally ill-fated Kevin Greening.

But that's another story . . .