Author Topic: Talking Pictures  (Read 21192 times)

Ambient Sheep

• I owe lots of people PMs, sorry. Hopefully soon...
Re: Talking Pictures
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2020, 08:25:55 PM »
Finally, starting Tuesday week (19th) at 9pm, they're showing the four-part ITV Quatermass (1979), one per week... I'm really looking forward to watching this, not having seen it since it went out when I was 14.

Reminder about this, and I've made a dedicated discussion thread here in case anybody wants to chat about it without cluttering up this thread.

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2020, 08:06:20 PM »
Can't stop to add details now but tonight's a cracker:

9pm - the second series of the original Van der Valk starts with Patrick Allen as a wonderfully crooked banker.  A bit more about this here.

10pm - To the Devil a Daughter (1976) --  Christopher Lee, Nastassja Kinski, Denholm Elliott, Honor Blackman, Anthony Valentine, Richard Widmark

11.50pm - Christopher Lee again in Rasputin, the Mad Monk (1966)

Lordofthefiles

• A dog with two dicks or a dick with two dogs
« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2020, 08:01:19 PM »
Sammy's Super T-Shirt 7th June 07:15am

« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2020, 08:22:19 PM »
Somewhere along the line over the last week, I recorded a italian language documentary on the history of the Lambretta off of Talking Pictures. Its wonderful, but somewhat niche, even for that channel.

« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2020, 12:33:44 PM »
Smashing Time and the LWT series Budgie are coming up but tonight, after Van Der Valk, is The Hand of Night.

On Monday night/Tuesday morning there is a short film called Vengeance (1986). It was directed by Shani Grewal who also made Double X: The Name of the Game and Guru in Seven, both of which have been on the channel before and will be on again. The film itself was supposedly a dry run for Double X but its history is interesting. It apparently supported the Schwarzenegger hit Commando in the UK and was later bundled along with two other shorts onto a VHS titled Frightmares, with John Hurt providing the linking material between the films. Noel Cronin was apparently the producer. The director's online profile claims that the film was considered for the live-action short Oscar but it was never nominated in the main category.

There was a thread on here a few months ago about Cry Wolf, which played as support to Airplane! That was a Paramount title and with the channel recently showing some of the Paramount back catalogue (Smashing Time included), who knows, it might turn up.

the science eel

• dynamite sack artist
    • PRELUDIN - where goons don't go
« Reply #155 on: May 29, 2020, 12:58:43 PM »

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2020, 03:44:30 AM »
Three upcoming things I'd like to flag up:

Tonight (Sunday 31st May) at 10pm is the film to counteract all those who say Roger Moore can't act: the supernatural thriller The Man Who Haunted Himself (1970).

Then, on Wednesday (3rd June) at 9.15am there's 70s-childhood Saturday-morning-at-the-pictures film The Land That Time Forgot (1975), starring Troy Doug McClure and Susan Penhaligon.  Not seen it since childhood, so don't know how it will stand up now.

Finally, at 5pm the same day (Wednesday), famous 1970-1 children's TV series Catweazle starts a second run, this time one every weekday.  I've watched a few of these now from last year's weekend showings and they've been reasonably enjoyable, if not spectacular.

One of the things that did enthrall me about Catweazle though, was seeing rural England as it looked when I was a small child, before Dutch Elm disease ran rampant through the land.  In particular, the countryside that surrounds the abandoned water tower (including the tower itself) is hugely reminiscent of those long school holidays spent out exploring all day with friends, only having to be back home "by about five".  Gave me a nostalgia hit I didn't know I was even needing.  I forgot how it looked.

Anyway, I've since found a nice old thread about it here, although beware, the OP is dreadfully spoilery.

« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2020, 03:46:15 PM »
Then, on Wednesday (3rd June) at 9.15am there's 70s-childhood Saturday-morning-at-the-pictures film The Land That Time Forgot (1975), starring Troy Doug McClure and Susan Penhaligon.  Not seen it since childhood, so don't know how it will stand up now.

It was on a few weeks ago - one of my earlier lockdown watches. I like it and rather hope they dig out the sequel.

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2020, 08:19:03 PM »
It was on a few weeks ago - one of my earlier lockdown watches...

Yes, it's been on a few times in fact.  I saw it go past last summer (which I think was its debut), but I missed it.  According to my notes I've recorded it twice since then (Wed 2019/12/11 13:20, Sat 2020/03/28 11:25) but both times had to sacrifice it for something rarer due to lack of box space.  Determined to hang on to it this time. :)

I like it...

I loved it as a kid, saw it more than once and was happy to do so.  Was one of those really big "event" films.  I only didn't hype it more in my previous post as it only seems to get middling ratings these days.

I have just discovered though that the screenplay was co-written by Michael Moorcock, it also stars Anthony Ainley (as well as Keith Barron!), and that there's a nice Guardian article about "How We Made" it here.

...and rather hope they dig out the sequel.

Which one? :-)

They've shown At The Earth's Core (1976) a few times; my own copy is from Wed 2020/04/08 07:40.  Not watched it yet.  Desperately wanted to see it as a kid, the cinema trailer fascinated me (especially as I'd always loved The Mole from Thunderbirds), but somehow managed to miss it both at the cinema and on numerous terrestrial TV repeats.  I gather it's not very good, though, which is why I've not rushed to dash my childhood anticipation by actually watching it. :-)

Until now, I don't think I'd ever heard of The People That Time Forgot (1977) in any way.  Not seen it on Talking Pictures but then I may not have registered the title going past.  I'll look out for it!

Meanwhile I really should have boosted tonight's The Man Who Haunted Himself a bit more.  It's a really good film that left its mark on me as a 13yo viewer, and I've enjoyed it again as an adult.  Really recommended if anybody's not seen it.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2020, 08:58:00 PM »
Meanwhile I really should have boosted tonight's The Man Who Haunted Himself a bit more.  It's a really good film that left its mark on me as a 13yo viewer, and I've enjoyed it again as an adult.  Really recommended if anybody's not seen it.

Meant to thank you for the heads-up as I keep on meaning to watch it, but always miss it. Got it on record now, but hopefully will watch it direct.

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2020, 09:42:49 PM »
If you've not seen it before then I think you're in for a treat. :)

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2020, 10:49:55 AM »
Yup, very nice bit of pre-Tales-of-the-Unexpected style mystery. Comes a close second to North Sea Hijack in the non-Bond Moore film line up for me.

Hum... didn't realise Moore played Inspector Clouseau in Curse of the Pink Panther, may have to pull together the whole Pink Panther series at some point, and battle my way through increasingly worse entries just for that.

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2020, 05:00:32 PM »
Yup, very nice bit of pre-Tales-of-the-Unexpected style mystery. Comes a close second to North Sea Hijack in the non-Bond Moore film line up for me.

Glad you enjoyed it!

I've never seen (or heard of!) North Sea Hijack, I'll have to look out for that.

Hum... didn't realise Moore played Inspector Clouseau in Curse of the Pink Panther, may have to pull together the whole Pink Panther series at some point, and battle my way through increasingly worse entries just for that.

Now now, there's dedication, and then there's insanity...

« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2020, 08:45:11 AM »
I've never seen (or heard of!) North Sea Hijack, I'll have to look out for that.

It's been on once or twice quite recently.

It is ... definitely interesting

Endicott

• I've done no research
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2020, 09:25:30 AM »

Sunday afternoon fodder.

« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2020, 10:30:03 AM »
I had the distinct memory that the final scene was mental. And it actually is.

What a joy.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #166 on: June 06, 2020, 03:57:22 PM »

Literally the only decent bit in Curse Of...

Moore is genuinely very funny in it.

To be honest you really are best off just watching that scene on its own on YouTube.

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2020, 02:53:24 AM »
BBC done a 2 minute behind the scenes clip with interviews.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/53111684/talking-pictures-tv-channel-a-lockdown-hit

Nice to see two of the three people behind it, but a shame that the Beeb gave the impression it ONLY runs positively-ancient black-and-white films, omitting colour and TV reruns entirely, but I'm sure that wasn't on purpose at all.

(To be fair, finding clips of those without rights issues would probably have been more tricky, but it could at least have mentioned the other stuff.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 03:06:58 AM by Ambient Sheep »

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2020, 03:07:10 AM »
Edit bug.

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #169 on: July 04, 2020, 08:29:18 PM »
Just want to flag up a couple of short films tomorrow (Sun 5th July), neither are first showings, but I feel they're worth noting.

Firstly, at 7.50am, a repeat of Blue Pullman which is...

...a 30 minute, narration-free account of the titular train's first journey in 1960. A fascinating look at a bygone age with a beautiful, specially commissioned score by Clifton Parker.

I caught some of this a few months ago, looked wonderful.

Later on, at 20:05, they're showing a little 20 minute film from 1974 called Dial-a-Bus in Harlow, about a pioneering travel scheme in the Essex New Town.  They've been showing it for a couple of weeks now, last showing for now will be Wed 15th July at 16:35.

« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2020, 11:36:38 PM »
Currently watching the 1988 Jack the Ripper. Micheal Caine hollers 90 % of his lines. Micheal Gothard is good. Lewis Collins is Lewis Collins with a 'tache. Solid. Entertaining.

Tags: