Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Talking Pictures

Started by Captain Crunch, May 13, 2018, 10:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on February 05, 2021, 01:57:30 PM
Pretty sure The Lone Ranger was on Channel 4 at some point.

Yes, it might well have been, rings a bell, except that Channel 4 didn't launch until I was nearly 18, so that wouldn't have been where I saw it as a kid. :-)

Ambient Sheep

Part-quoting myself due to new page:

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 05, 2021, 01:37:45 AMTalking Pictures are recreating the old Saturday Mornings at the Pictures, from 9am-midday every Saturday from now on.  Here's this Saturday's schedule:

09:00 - Popeye the Sailor (1953) -- serial
09:10 - Zorro's Black Whip (1944) -- serial
09:40 - Cup Fever (1965) -- film starring Bernard Cribbins
10:55 - The Lone Ranger (1949) -- serial
11:25 - Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe (1940) -- serial
11:50 - Superman (1941) -- serial

Looking ahead, the next three weeks are identical, except that all the films (Soapbox Derby (1957)[nb]Starring a 15yo Michael Crawford in his first proper screen role.[/nb], Big Catch (1968), Go-Kart Go (1963)[nb]Starring a 15yo Dennis Waterman in his ninth role, and a 21yo Frazer Hines in his, er, 54th role.[/nb]) are 10m shorter, so everything after that is 10m earlier, thus they put an extra Superman in at the end.

I forgot to mention, it seems they are going to repeat each three-hour block twice.

Firstly, eleven days later on Wednesday mornings (9am-midday again), and then again thirteen days and nineteen hours later, on the Fri night / Sat morning at 1am-4am.  Genius move, I think, to capture the night owls like myself.

For example, the first four weeks look like this:

Sat 6th 09:00 - Block inc. Cup Fever

Sat 13th 09:00 - Block inc. Soapbox Derby
Wed 17th 09:00 - Block inc. Cup Fever
Sat 20th 01:00 - Block inc. Cup Fever

Sat 20th 09:00 - Block inc. Big Catch
Wed 24th 09:00 - Block inc. Soapbox Derby
Sat 27th 01:00  - Block inc. Soapbox Derby

Sat 27th 09:00 - Block inc. Go-Kart Go.
Wed 3rd 09:00 - Block inc. Big Catch
Sat 6th 01:00 - Block inc. Big Catch

(Last two lines an assumption, as that schedule infornation won't be confirmed until this Monday, 7th Feb.)

Blumf

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 05, 2021, 01:37:45 AM
Fake EDIT: Good God, just checked Genome, and the Beeb last showed Flash Gordon as late as April 1998 (BBC1, Saturdays, 7am)!!  I'm quite astonished...

I think one of the channel controllers (Michael Jackson, maybe?) during the 90s was quite into old B&W pulp stuff, hence a lot of 50's sci-fi B-movies and, possibly this Flash Gordon run.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 05, 2021, 01:37:45 AM
Good God, just checked Genome, and the Beeb last showed Flash Gordon as late as April 1998 (BBC1, Saturdays, 7am)!!  I'm quite astonished... but not as astonished as finding out they didn't START showing it until July 1976 (when I was 11).  I thought I'd been much younger than that.

On The Sci-Fi channel (on the Astra satellite) in 1996 they showed Episode 1 of Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe (1940), followed by Episodes 2 & 3 of Flash Gordon (1936) over 3 successive days, then they realised their error and that was the end of that, although they did manage a complete series of Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars (1938) later in the year.

Black Sunday was on recently - enjoyably taut little thriller.

Ambient Sheep

Oh, and if anyone is interested, they're rerunning Catweazle from the start, Mon-Thu at 10am, starting tomorrow.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: A Hat Like That on February 07, 2021, 01:13:46 PM
Black Sunday was on recently - enjoyably taut little thriller.

Just seen that this is on again in just over an hour, at 9pm.  Although at 2h50m I'm not sure I'd call it "little"!

Blumf

Just watched a very nice short staring Bernard Cribbins, who likes a pint; I Know What I Like (1973) 20 min doc on beer making, from field to glass.

Bernard plays multiple characters, all relatives, who work throughout the industry. It's as delightful as you'd imagine.

There's a copy here, but it looks like TPtv had a cleaner print:
http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/6332

Phil_A

I didn't realise Superman was going to be the Fleischer Studios cartoon version, which was a nice surprise. I was expecting the old forties/fifties film serials.

JesusAndYourBush

On last weeks episode of Hannay I was surprised to see a Peaky Blinder turn up in the storyline.

Quote from: Blumf on February 14, 2021, 11:12:00 AM
Just watched a very nice short staring Bernard Cribbins, who likes a pint; I Know What I Like (1973) 20 min doc on beer making, from field to glass.

Bernard plays multiple characters, all relatives, who work throughout the industry. It's as delightful as you'd imagine.

There's a copy here, but it looks like TPtv had a cleaner print:
http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/6332

Cheers!

from about 13:20 in, its really good. Love all the footage of 1970s pubs and Britain.

holyzombiejesus

Oh, for fucks sake, why can't I get this channel?

Getting towards the end of Enemy at the Door - another good episode with a crushing ending. 2 more to go!!

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 09, 2021, 07:53:00 PM
Just seen that this is on again in just over an hour, at 9pm.  Although at 2h50m I'm not sure I'd call it "little"!

Given its plot, it just seems remarkably low key.

Which is also odd, as Robert Shaw, Bruce Dern and Marthe Keller are all really good in it.

It did not feel like nearly 3 hours.

Norton Canes

Anyone else watch The Girl In The Picture this evening? An excellent (except for
Spoiler alert
the denouement
[close]
) Scottish indie romantic comedy thing, like a darker Gregory's Girl.

Edit: It's on again Thu 18th, 22:00. Definitely worth a watch.

timebug

I am also loving 'Enemy At The Door', nor having seen it before. Great drama and terriffic acting, but lack of action sequences, car chases and shoot outs, will no doubt render it 'boring' to many younger viewers!

Bad Ambassador

Yeah, thanks granpa

EatD is very good though.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Blumf on February 14, 2021, 11:12:00 AMJust watched a very nice short staring Bernard Cribbins, who likes a pint; I Know What I Like (1973) 20 min doc on beer making, from field to glass.

It's great, isn't it?  Utterly charming.

Quote from: Phil_A on February 14, 2021, 11:36:17 AMI didn't realise Superman was going to be the Fleischer Studios cartoon version, which was a nice surprise. I was expecting the old forties/fifties film serials.

As was I, given the general nature of the channel!  Mind you, even the cartoon is 1941!  Eighty years old, fuck!

Quote from: A Hat Like That on February 14, 2021, 10:35:11 PMGiven its plot, it just seems remarkably low key.

Which is also odd, as Robert Shaw, Bruce Dern and Marthe Keller are all really good in it.

It did not feel like nearly 3 hours.

I wasn't able to watch it this time round (and didn't have the space to record it), but I'll make sure to give it a watch next time round (usually in three months' time).

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 15, 2021, 12:10:18 AMAnyone else watch The Girl In The Picture this evening? An excellent (except for
Spoiler alert
the denouement
[close]

Somehow I managed to miss this was on.  Probably got confused with the similarly-titled Girl in the Headlines that's been on a few times.

Thanks for the tip-off, I'll try to catch it this Thursday.  That implies it was its first showing, btw: they normally only do same-week repeats on first plays.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 14, 2021, 09:26:59 PMOh, for fucks sake, why can't I get this channel?

There's definitely a market for someone to set up a Freeview box connected to a streamer...

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: A Hat Like That on February 14, 2021, 10:28:12 PM
Getting towards the end of Enemy at the Door - another good episode with a crushing ending. 2 more to go!!

I still can't get used to sweet, softly-spoken Jeffery Fairbrother being a very believable Nazi cunt.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 15, 2021, 04:17:37 PM
There's definitely a market for someone to set up a Freeview box connected to a streamer...

45 measly channels available through Freeview where I live. 45! Just the terrestrial channels and their spin-offs, a shopping channel and a christian one. My mum lives in Newcastle-Under-Fucking-Lyme and she gets 135, and she only ever watches boring 4th rate Scandi-noir.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on February 16, 2021, 12:00:33 AM
I still can't get used to sweet, softly-spoken Jeffery Fairbrother being a very believable Nazi cunt

Don't watch Genesis Of The Daleks

Bad Ambassador

Norton Canes

Bad Ambassador

Although he still parrots propaganda later in the story, Ravon is a bit more open to other thoughts by his last appearance and seems more of a well-drilled Kaled patriot than a full-bore fanatic like Nyder.

There is also the slight contrast between the two actors' sitcom roles. Having both played Nazis or Nazi types, one plays an officer in the Wehrmacht occupying France under Hitler's orders - and the other is an entertainments officer in a holiday camp.

Norton Canes

One plays the commander of a camp where people went en masse ostensibly for their 'wellbeing'

and the other plays an officer in the Wehrmacht aaah...

You find one photo of Hilary Minster in Genesis of the Daleks and it doesn't ruddy work. Sigh.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 16, 2021, 10:18:38 AM45 measly channels available through Freeview where I live. 45! Just the terrestrial channels and their spin-offs, a shopping channel and a christian one.

FFS, poor you!  I'd assumed you were an expat...

Ambient Sheep

Reminder about this tonight, 10pm.

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 15, 2021, 12:10:18 AM
Anyone else watch The Girl In The Picture this evening? An excellent (except for
Spoiler alert
the denouement
[close]

Norton Canes

Yes! If you like the early films of Bill Forsyth or have any affinity for wistful 80's Scottish nostalgia then this curio is a must-watch. Seems to have been a one-off effort by its writer/director Cary Parker, as it's the only thing listed on his IMDb page.