Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:57:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Talking Pictures

Started by Captain Crunch, May 13, 2018, 10:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

I thought this was quite amusing, and the one it includes rather lovely too:

https://twitter.com/KRamsey1997/status/1362871158274719744

Also, this, in the replies to the inner tweet, amused me:

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1362716811654033408

Quoteedgarwright
@edgarwright
Replying to @Poppybob80

I can't speak for MS, but I can tell you Tarantino has never seen a Carry On film. I bought him the entire boxset once and he said he was scared to open it. I'll let you know if this ever changes.

10:53 • 19 Feb 21 • Twitter Web App

penultimate episode of Enemy at the Door. Martin Jarvis and Kenneth Cranham. Spoiled.

its been a solid winter 20-21 companion.

I hope there's some closure, though, given that it doesn't really see out the end of the war.

Enemy at the Door - What Happened Next?

Oh, I recorded Frankenstein Created Woman at some point. Excellent. Sunday afternoon.

Of the Hammer Frankenstein films ...

The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
The Horror of Frankenstein (1970)
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)

They're a rarity in that they have late peaks - the back three Cushings are all great, so I may watch all of them (they're in my VHS collection) this week.

Evil and Horror are very poor, the rest is about as good as Hammer get.

Blumf

Frankenstein Goes Down the Offie for a Packet of Fags (1976)
The Hell of Frankenstein's Prostate Exam (1979)

petril

Alloa Athletic bust Frankenstein's acculumator

Enemy at the Door 'finale' - the Germans win.
Major character death completely off screen.
Err. Yeah.

Bad Ambassador

Enemy at the Door is repeated on Mondays at 2pm from next week.

JesusAndYourBush

Can someone give us a shout if they see "The Gentle Touch" returning.
They took it off at the end of last year halfway through a season, and when I asked them they said it was returning but didn't say when.
It's likely to have been back several weeks before I bloody spot it.

Rather enjoyed last night's Checkpoint. James Robertson-Justice tries to spring industrial spy Stanley Baker from Florence under the cover of a long distance car race.

kaprisky

Overlord (1975) and Emperor of the North (1973) are due in April. The latter I think features Ernest Borgnine terrorizing a bunch of hobos on the 1930s railroads. Fantastic.

Overlord blurs the line between the archive war footage that came from the Imperial War Museum and newly shot film. Overseen by director Stuart Cooper and cinematographer John Alcott. It has made a brief appearance on the channel before...

Emperor of the North is a great watch. Would recommend. Ernest Bognine, Lee Marvin, Keith Carradine. Lovely.

Last night had the Likely Lads film on again, which was nice.

Norton Canes

Frankie Howerd's 1973 macabre comedy/horror mashup The House In Nightmare Park is on right now. Definitely weird and wonderful enough to warrant a watch. Not sure if it's up again in the next few days.

Norton Canes

Going out on a limb today somewhat, showing 'Carols with Michael Hordern' at 11:30am. I think someone needs to subdivide the 'seasonal' tag on their database.

Ambient Sheep

Doomwatch (the 1972 film) in just over ten minutes.

Ambient Sheep

Heh, it's like a low-rent Wicker Man.

now, the remaining/surviving Doomwatch TV is something I'd like to see.

Went the Day Well? really is a jarring watch. The scene with the postmistress is particularly grim.

Well worth watching if on again.

Pranet

Seen it years ago and wouldn't mind catching it again. Tonight would have been good actually but I forgot about it.

Been watching The Champions on a Sunday night. I recognise the theme music, but not anything else, which is odd because it seems to have been repeated quite a lot over the years and it is exactly the sort of bullshit I waste time watching. Sort of in the territory of The Avengers but takes itself more seriously and isn't as good. More international jet setting rather than English villages.

The Mummy's Shroud.
Tuesday afternoon last day of leave treat.

SOS Pacific

I remember this one vividly from my childhood. That's my afternoon sorted (I'm supposed to be in Warwick* at a conference)

daf

Quote from: Pranet on April 11, 2021, 09:35:30 PM
Been watching The Champions on a Sunday night. I recognise the theme music, but not anything else, which is odd because it seems to have been repeated quite a lot over the years and it is exactly the sort of bullshit I waste time watching. Sort of in the territory of The Avengers but takes itself more seriously and isn't as good. More international jet setting rather than English villages.

There's a lot of gold in them thar ITC hills - I'm particularly fond of Strange Report - which only got 16 episodes, but features a delightful regular turn from Anneke Wills (from Doctor Who) as a Swinging London dolly bird!

My ITC 'mood' rankings  : ( Straight  - Quirky - Crackers )
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SSSS - Man in a Suitcase
SSSS - The Protectors
SSSQ - The Champions
SSSQ - The Baron
SSSQ - The Adventurer
SSSQ - Strange Report
SSQQ - Department S
SSQQ - The Persuaders
SQQC - Jason King
QQCC - Randall & Hopkirk
QQCC - *
QCCC - The Prisoner

* The Avengers, though a similar looking show, wasn't an ITC production (rather the UK 'ABC' - which was later replaced by Thames). But if I was including it, I'd probably pop it there in the list

Blumf

Is Jason King really more crackers than Randall & Hopkirk? Otherwise, good list.

daf

No, you're probably right there - The title character is of course unbeatably crackers, but the actual plots are less fantastical than R&H. So I've switched them round (and added another 'S' to Strange Report - after having another quick look, it's not quite as quirky as I'd remembered)

. . . Also, I've just realised I've left Department S out! Hold on . . .

kaprisky

Rank's Look at Life cinema shorts are on next week, I think.

One Step Beyond and Sherlock Holmes (1954) are a couple of series that will be on in May.

Also Harry and Tonto (1974) will be screening in May.

daf

Quote from: kaprisky on April 23, 2021, 10:52:39 AM
Rank's Look at Life cinema shorts are on next week, I think.

Fantastic stuff!

I've pre-ordered the 8th and final volume from network, which features 117 shorts - meaning the eight sets combined cover almost all the original shorts. There are 15 or so left out . . .

Quote from: shorts not in the Network DVD setsBEAUTY AND THE BEASTS
BOOM IN BOATS
THE DOCTOR SUGGESTS
BULLFIGHTER
BREAKING COVER
FOUR-LEGGED WORKERS
SHEER LUXURY
THE VILLAGE AWAKES
JAZZ! JAZZ! JAZZ!
FARMING FOR FASHION
UNDER THE SKIN
SLIPPERY CUSTOMERS
SHOULD WE KILL THE SEALS
THRILLS FOR SIXPENCE
THE DEER HUNTERS

. . . seemingly due to containing scenes of animal cruelty, and most horrific of all . . . Jazz!

Blumf

Quote from: daf on April 23, 2021, 11:57:27 AM
. . . seemingly due to containing scenes of animal cruelty, and most horrific of all . . . Jazz!

They spread peanut butter on the saxophone reed to make it look like Ronnie Scott was actually playing it.

caught the end of Power Play (1978) last night - genuinely intrigued. Liked what I saw.

Bad Ambassador

You have to respect a movie that runs its credits over
Spoiler alert
the hooded victim of a firing squad
[close]

EDIT: Death Line is on at 9pm on Friday 14th May. Cast-iron classic.

Ignatius_S

Nowhere to Go is on tomorrow at 13.20, which is of note as it's Maggie Smith's first film. I think on Discovering Maggie Smith, one of the contributors mentioned that it had quite a bit cut out originally for cinemas but not sure if this is the full version, but when I saw it in TPTV, it didn't entirely fire on all cylinders for me, so editing made sense when I heard about it. It's a rather interesting Ealing film and think it's particularly interesting for the supporting cast - Smith is great (natch), but lots of good performances, particularly from Bernard Lee and Harry H Corbett. The latter is in just one scene but a very memorable one.

Some nice films have been mentioned above and have a few to watch so looking forward to that!