Author Topic: Talking Pictures  (Read 2838 times)

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
Re: Talking Pictures
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2018, 10:21:24 PM »
Tomorrow (Sun. 3rd) at 2210h - The Birthday Party (1968)

Written by Harold Pinter
Starring: Robert Shaw, Patrick Magee, Sydney Tafler, and Dandy Nichols

If that doesn't get your interest, nothing will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birthday_Party_(film)

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2018, 01:52:27 PM »
Green For Danger too. A cracker of an old film.

Looking at their DVDs, I imagine some of them are used to stir memories from the extremely old, but they actually sound interesting. I'd give that box set of "Glimpses" a go.

Isnt Anything

• can i haz barrel-roll now plz ?
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2018, 10:59:00 PM »
Next Friday, 22 June at 9.10pm, theyre showing the USAs glossy remake of Threads called The Day After (1983). The film that allegedly convinced Reagan to make peace with the USSR.

( its actually on now but already an hour in, so i looked for the next screening )

manticore

• 'nut with really wacky opinions'
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2018, 12:38:11 AM »
Only just discovered this is on ordinary Freeview now, not just Freeview HD, so I can watch it. Laughter in Paradise is on Tuesday morning, featuring the wonderful performance by my favourite actor, Alastair Sim, who I badly wanted to be my uncle when I was a child.

Isnt Anything

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2018, 09:14:35 PM »
Next Friday, 22 June at 9.10pm, theyre showing the USAs glossy remake of Threads called The Day After (1983). The film that allegedly convinced Reagan to make peace with the USSR.

( its actually on now but already an hour in, so i looked for the next screening )

Just a reminder this has just started.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2018, 09:20:47 PM »
Just a reminder this has just started.

It'll be on again - they've repeated it several times over the last year or so.

Mind you, for anyone who hasn't seen it, you're really better off watching Threads to be honest.

Isnt Anything

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2018, 09:33:47 PM »
Oh agreed. Threads is much the better film but if youve already seen that and want to scoff at the Amerisanitised version and or indulge in its historical curiosity, there it is.

Not seen it since it was first shown mind, could be total shite instead of just slightly shite.

I wouldnt have even posted again except that i had TP on in the background and suddenly noticed it come on.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2018, 09:45:40 PM »
Not seen it since it was first shown mind, could be total shite instead of just slightly shite.

To be fair, the last act is suitably grim and depressing, especially for a made for TV movie.  But it's still not worth sitting through the rest of it, which suffers from just about every made for TV technical trope you can think of.  Even Jason Robards can't save it.

Isnt Anything

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2018, 09:17:33 PM »
Tonight at 00:15 is The Shout (1978), an avant-garde low-key psychological / supernatural British horror film starring Alan Bates, Susannah York, John Hurt and, in a minor role, Tim Curry.

Ive written much more about it here -
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,67734.0.html

Recommended.

Isnt Anything

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2018, 10:28:43 PM »
'The Final Programme (1973)' is on in just under an hour, 23:20 to 01:10. Never seen it but is supposed to be good.

Mind you BBC2 has Ian Dury biopic 'Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll (2010)' opposite it from 23:05 to 00:55, so thank God for DVRs, eh ?

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2018, 10:41:10 PM »
'The Final Programme (1973)' is on in just under an hour, 23:20 to 01:10. Never seen it but is supposed to be good.

Mind you BBC2 has Ian Dury biopic 'Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll (2010)' opposite it from 23:05 to 00:55, so thank God for DVRs, eh ?

Stick with the latter - The Final Programme is absolute toss.

Isnt Anything

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2018, 10:46:40 PM »
Noted, ty.

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2018, 10:50:28 PM »
By any definition, The Final Programme is the way to go.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2018, 10:57:19 PM »
By any definition, The Final Programme is the way to go.

That makes it sound a whole lot better than it is.  It's like a REALLY bad episode of the Avengers, but worse, mixed with a REALLY bad Bond film, which is trying far too hard to be trippy and irreverent (also cf. The Magic Christian, which is actually much better).

I also recommend you steer well clear if you have any fondness for the book.

But, y'know, your mileage may vary and that.

Isnt Anything

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2018, 11:21:41 PM »
well im recording both of them anyway so it doesnt really matter too much, but thanks for the extra input. :)

Isnt Anything

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2018, 09:57:59 PM »
Bugger, just missing Bedazzled (the original, natch).

Good job its on again next Thursday at 23:50 then.

Also theres The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969) on Monday at 23:45.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2018, 11:36:28 PM »
Just watched The Reckoning (1970). Quiet a nice character study of a striving bastard at a business machines company getting revenge for his fathers death. Obvious comparisons with Get Carter but I think it stands on it's own, with Nicol Williamson portraying a convincing anti-hero. Great ending.

http://www.british60scinema.net/unsung-films/the-reckoning/

Doesn't appear to be scheduled again this month, but keep an eye out.

Phil_A

• HE WAS AN ROBOT
    • Chasing The Bumblebee
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2019, 08:17:59 PM »
Ahh, just found out Talking Pictures has started running Callan at 9pm on weekday evenings. Currently four episodes in (the two surviving episodes from Series 1, and the first two from Series 2).

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2019, 08:36:21 PM »
Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment is on tomorrow. And Robin's Nest starts this month too!

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2019, 11:30:38 AM »
This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_X:_The_Name_of_the_Game

was on last night.

A faux film noir thriller starring, errr, Norman Wisdom. It had all the tropes of some hard boiled 1950s detective film, voice over, sultry women, men in suits being tough but the image on the screen?

Crabwalk

• I behaved like a skinhead.
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2019, 11:44:32 AM »
Just a heads up that here's now a monthly Talking Pictures Podcast which is hosted by the brilliant Adam Roche, who's responsible for 'The Secret History of Hollywood' and 'Attaboy Clarence' podcasts.

https://www.attaboyclarence.com/the-talking-pictures-tv-podcast

Phil_A

• HE WAS AN ROBOT
    • Chasing The Bumblebee
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2019, 12:07:37 PM »
This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_X:_The_Name_of_the_Game

was on last night.

A faux film noir thriller starring, errr, Norman Wisdom. It had all the tropes of some hard boiled 1950s detective film, voice over, sultry women, men in suits being tough but the image on the screen?

I'm picturing a kind of prototype for Blue Ruin with Pipkin in the lead role, there's no way it can possibly live up to that mental image, is there?