Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Talking Pictures

Started by Captain Crunch, May 13, 2018, 10:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Tomorrow (Sun. 3rd) at 2210h - The Birthday Party (1968)

Written by Harold Pinter
Starring: Robert Shaw, Patrick Magee, Sydney Tafler, and Dandy Nichols

If that doesn't get your interest, nothing will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birthday_Party_(film)

Famous Mortimer

Green For Danger too. A cracker of an old film.

Looking at their DVDs, I imagine some of them are used to stir memories from the extremely old, but they actually sound interesting. I'd give that box set of "Glimpses" a go.

Isnt Anything

Next Friday, 22 June at 9.10pm, theyre showing the USAs glossy remake of Threads called The Day After (1983). The film that allegedly convinced Reagan to make peace with the USSR.

( its actually on now but already an hour in, so i looked for the next screening )

manticore

Only just discovered this is on ordinary Freeview now, not just Freeview HD, so I can watch it. Laughter in Paradise is on Tuesday morning, featuring the wonderful performance by my favourite actor, Alastair Sim, who I badly wanted to be my uncle when I was a child.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Isnt Anything on June 16, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Next Friday, 22 June at 9.10pm, theyre showing the USAs glossy remake of Threads called The Day After (1983). The film that allegedly convinced Reagan to make peace with the USSR.

( its actually on now but already an hour in, so i looked for the next screening )

Just a reminder this has just started.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Isnt Anything on June 22, 2018, 09:14:35 PM
Just a reminder this has just started.

It'll be on again - they've repeated it several times over the last year or so.

Mind you, for anyone who hasn't seen it, you're really better off watching Threads to be honest.

Isnt Anything

Oh agreed. Threads is much the better film but if youve already seen that and want to scoff at the Amerisanitised version and or indulge in its historical curiosity, there it is.

Not seen it since it was first shown mind, could be total shite instead of just slightly shite.

I wouldnt have even posted again except that i had TP on in the background and suddenly noticed it come on.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Isnt Anything on June 22, 2018, 09:33:47 PM
Not seen it since it was first shown mind, could be total shite instead of just slightly shite.

To be fair, the last act is suitably grim and depressing, especially for a made for TV movie.  But it's still not worth sitting through the rest of it, which suffers from just about every made for TV technical trope you can think of.  Even Jason Robards can't save it.

Isnt Anything

Tonight at 00:15 is The Shout (1978), an avant-garde low-key psychological / supernatural British horror film starring Alan Bates, Susannah York, John Hurt and, in a minor role, Tim Curry.

Ive written much more about it here -
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,67734.0.html

Recommended.

Isnt Anything

'The Final Programme (1973)' is on in just under an hour, 23:20 to 01:10. Never seen it but is supposed to be good.

Mind you BBC2 has Ian Dury biopic 'Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll (2010)' opposite it from 23:05 to 00:55, so thank God for DVRs, eh ?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Isnt Anything on June 30, 2018, 10:28:43 PM
'The Final Programme (1973)' is on in just under an hour, 23:20 to 01:10. Never seen it but is supposed to be good.

Mind you BBC2 has Ian Dury biopic 'Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll (2010)' opposite it from 23:05 to 00:55, so thank God for DVRs, eh ?

Stick with the latter - The Final Programme is absolute toss.

Isnt Anything

studpuppet

By any definition, The Final Programme is the way to go.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: studpuppet on June 30, 2018, 10:50:28 PM
By any definition, The Final Programme is the way to go.

That makes it sound a whole lot better than it is.  It's like a REALLY bad episode of the Avengers, but worse, mixed with a REALLY bad Bond film, which is trying far too hard to be trippy and irreverent (also cf. The Magic Christian, which is actually much better).

I also recommend you steer well clear if you have any fondness for the book.

But, y'know, your mileage may vary and that.

Isnt Anything

well im recording both of them anyway so it doesnt really matter too much, but thanks for the extra input. :)

Isnt Anything

Bugger, just missing Bedazzled (the original, natch).

Good job its on again next Thursday at 23:50 then.

Also theres The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969) on Monday at 23:45.

Blumf

Just watched The Reckoning (1970). Quiet a nice character study of a striving bastard at a business machines company getting revenge for his fathers death. Obvious comparisons with Get Carter but I think it stands on it's own, with Nicol Williamson portraying a convincing anti-hero. Great ending.

http://www.british60scinema.net/unsung-films/the-reckoning/

Doesn't appear to be scheduled again this month, but keep an eye out.

Phil_A

Ahh, just found out Talking Pictures has started running Callan at 9pm on weekday evenings. Currently four episodes in (the two surviving episodes from Series 1, and the first two from Series 2).

kaprisky

Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment is on tomorrow. And Robin's Nest starts this month too!

This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_X:_The_Name_of_the_Game

was on last night.

A faux film noir thriller starring, errr, Norman Wisdom. It had all the tropes of some hard boiled 1950s detective film, voice over, sultry women, men in suits being tough but the image on the screen?

Crabwalk

Just a heads up that here's now a monthly Talking Pictures Podcast which is hosted by the brilliant Adam Roche, who's responsible for 'The Secret History of Hollywood' and 'Attaboy Clarence' podcasts.

https://www.attaboyclarence.com/the-talking-pictures-tv-podcast

Phil_A

Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 08, 2019, 11:30:38 AM
This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_X:_The_Name_of_the_Game

was on last night.

A faux film noir thriller starring, errr, Norman Wisdom. It had all the tropes of some hard boiled 1950s detective film, voice over, sultry women, men in suits being tough but the image on the screen?

I'm picturing a kind of prototype for Blue Ruin with Pipkin in the lead role, there's no way it can possibly live up to that mental image, is there?

Ambient Sheep

Thrilled to see everyone's enjoying this channel as much as I have been the last few months.

Just thought I'd flag up that from this Thursday (2019/04/18) onwards they're going to start showing Van der Valk every weeknight at 9pm, Wednesdays seemingly excepted.

For those who don't know it, it's set in Amsterdam and stars Barry Foster as a somewhat-Morse-ish detective.  It also has a cracking theme tune that was a number 1 hit in 1973.

I have very fond memories of watching the first couple of series with my Dad on Mum's nights out... I'd've only been around eight years old at the time (12 by the time Series 3 rolled round; I never saw the 90s series), but found it engaging even then.

Heh, reading Wikipedia it seems that the Morse comparison is even more apt than I thought:

QuoteThe stories are mostly based in and around Amsterdam, where Commissaris van der Valk is a cynical yet intuitive detective. Drugs, sex and murder are among the gritty themes of the casework, contrasted against picturesque Amsterdam locations.

Van der Valk also contrasts with his naïve assistant, Inspecteur Johnny Kroon, played by Michael Latimer, and his superior, Hoofd-commissaris Samson, who deals with the political fallout of the cases.

Although to be fair I suppose that's not THAT unusual a setup, the location aside.  And I don't recall any Jaguars or pints of bitter.

Anyway, I shall be watching, hope you will be too.  Such a shame that my Dad isn't around any more to join in.

Blumf

Heh, Shoestring must be next.

They've been showing Edward Woodward's Callan at the same time Forces TV shows The Equalizer. Too much Woodward!

Caught Fear Is the Key (1972) the other night. Really nice car chase at the start, then the rest is okay. Followed by Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970) which we all know and love.

The Anderson Tapes (1971) is on this Sunday, quiet like it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Phil_A on March 08, 2019, 12:07:37 PM
I'm picturing a kind of prototype for Blue Ruin with Pipkin in the lead role, there's no way it can possibly live up to that mental image, is there?

No - it's TERRIBLE.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Blumf on April 16, 2019, 11:29:47 AM
Heh, Shoestring must be next.

I really wish it would be, as I loved it and was absolutely gutted when they replaced it with Bergerac (sorry Blodwyn), but sadly it's unlikely as it's a BBC Production not ITV, and Beeb stuff has proven much harder for TP to get hold of.

They both have Network DVD boxsets though, so you never know...

If not, the Shoestring one is about £25 at the moment from the looks of things.

Quote from: Blumf on April 16, 2019, 11:29:47 AMCaught Fear Is the Key (1972) the other night. Really nice car chase at the start, then the rest is okay.

I came in halfway through that and left again, cross that I'd missed what seemed to be a good film.  Will look out for it next time.

Just seen that there's lots of interesting stuff on today in fact:

Lunch Hour (1962) -- a lovely little B-movie that I caught earlier this year.  A somewhat-black comedy drama about a couple trying to have an affair in their lunch hour.  As it progresses it starts to get increasingly surreal, I suspect a bit avant-garde for the time.  Quite a racy theme for the time, too.  It's on at 15:10-16:25 today, followed by a 25-minute interview with Shirley Anne Field who plays the starring role alongside Robert Stephens.  Written by John "Rumpole" Mortimer and directed by James Hill.

Impulse (1984) -- caught a few minutes of the middle of this horror movie a few months ago and thought it looked interesting in a rather schlocky way, dunno if it is but will be checking it out.  23:40-01:30

Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973) -- no question about it, this is pure schlock.  Caught the second half of it (again) a few months ago (wonder if it was on a double bill with Impulse back then too?) and laughed my socks off.  The summary says it all:

QuoteA cosmic force is turning earth girls into queen bees who 'love' their men to death.

On at 01:30-03:10 tonight.

Oh and A Kind of Loving is on again tomorrow...

Blumf

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on April 16, 2019, 12:30:24 PM
I came in halfway through that and left again, cross that I'd missed what seemed to be a good film.  Will look out for it next time.

I'll emphasise the 'okay', it's just okay. Certainly, most the people involved have been in better.

QuoteLunch Hour (1962) -- a lovely little B-movie that I caught earlier this year.  A somewhat-black comedy drama about a couple trying to have an affair in their lunch hour.  As it progresses it starts to get increasingly surreal, I suspect a bit avant-garde for the time.  Quite a racy theme for the time, too

That's one of the interesting things you see on this channel. You start off with 30s/40s films, with a bunch of stiffs standing around in a drawing room, worrying about the miniature of social niceties, then you end up in the 70s with the likes of The Killing of Sister George and Entertaining Mr Sloane. There really was a massive change in just over a generation, and stuff like Lunch Hour fills in the gaps.

Norton Canes

Not so keen on the old movies but the TV stuff is amazing. Callan, of course; and before that the excellent Public Eye, which will hopefully come round again on rotation before too long. And Armchair Theatre on Sundays! Saw a great one by P.J. 'Sapphire and Steel' Hammond last week.

I can't see any of these 'Glimpses' things in the schedules, does it say when they're on?

Ambient Sheep

Bump for Van der Valk in a few minutes.

Ambient Sheep

A couple of interesting series starting this week:

Firstly, running from 5pm to 5.30pm every weekday we have Shadows, which Wikipedia describes as:

Quotea British Supernatural television anthology series produced by Thames Television for ITV between 1975 and 1978. Extending over three seasons, it featured ghost and horror dramas for children.

Guest actors included John Nettleton, Gareth Thomas, Jenny Agutter, Pauline Quirke, Brian Glover, June Brown, Rachel Herbert, Jacqueline Pearce and Gwyneth Strong.

Notable writers for the series included J. B. Priestley, Fay Weldon and PJ Hammond.

Also it seems that Series 2 was produced by Ruth Boswell, who not only had a major hand in both Timeslip and The Tomorrow People, but was also responsible for the fantastically scary Escape Into Night (A TV adaptation of the book Marianne Dreams by Catherine Storr, later remade into the less scary film Paperhouse) -- the only thing that ever gave me nightmares as a child, apart from Quatermass and the Pit

I have vague memories of watching this series as a child, and seeing the recent trailers on TPTV certainly brought back feelings of familarity and dread.  I can't say for sure how good it will be but definitely one for the hauntological crowd if nothing else.

Secondly, on Tuesday, replacing Van der Valk which finishes its run on Monday, we have the return of the highly-regarded Public Eye, every weekday from 8.30pm to 9.30pm.

I caught a couple of these on their previous run and was very impressed.  There's been high praise for it on both this thread and the Digital Spy one, and presumably the feedback the channel's got has prompted them to rerun it so quickly.