Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:16:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Talking Pictures

Started by Captain Crunch, May 13, 2018, 10:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Pranet on April 11, 2021, 09:35:30 PM
Seen it years ago and wouldn't mind catching it again. Tonight would have been good actually but I forgot about it.

Been watching The Champions on a Sunday night. I recognise the theme music, but not anything else, which is odd because it seems to have been repeated quite a lot over the years and it is exactly the sort of bullshit I waste time watching. Sort of in the territory of The Avengers but takes itself more seriously and isn't as good. More international jet setting rather than English villages.

Also on ITV4 on a weekday morning.

Today's was politely bonkers. German soldiers trapped in a cave. Donald Houston and Clifford Evans hamming it up a bit. Surprise identical twins!

Pranet

That was on a few weeks ago on Talking Pictures. I was a fun one.

I'm getting to quite enjoy the Champions actually.

I do find it bizarre that the same programme is being shown on 2 channels.

kaprisky

The Main Chance is on tonight. I've never heard of it but apparently it was a big hit back in the day. Of interest because it seems to be the first Yorkshire Television production on the channel although they did show the TV film Romance on the Orient Express last week.

The Earth Dies Screaming (1964) is on in June.

Nightmail 2 (1986) was on midweek evening. Enjoyed.

On the ITV4 run of The Champions. Donald Sutherland has just rocked up in the sleaziest of Haitian hotels.

Politely bonkers.

And now he's a zombi.

Lovely.

Norton Canes

Watching Dangerous Davies right now, superb character turn from Bernard Cribbins

Norton Canes

Oh fuck here's Colin Baker

Charlie Chan at the Olympics
With actual footage of the 1936 Berlin Olympics!!!

kaprisky

In the second episode of The Main Chance (the one on last week), there was an appearance by Ballard Berkeley. As a Major! A major that provided iffy evidence that turned a trial. Maybe his Major at Fawlty Towers was a progression of this baffling behaviour!

JesusAndYourBush

A Danger UXB episode the other day had some naked breasts kindof blurred out, so I checked and yes it was originally post-watershed.
I was also surprised to discover there'd only ever been 13 episodes, I was sure there'd have been more.
Also some very mild language (can't remember now, but in the same vein as 'bloody') had been silenced.  Anyone know if the channel is doing this themselves or are the episodes already like that?  I think I'm right in thinking that the channel has sourced their films from all sorts of places rather than necessarily getting them from the original makers so I guess it's possible some weird censorship might already be present in the copies they obtain.  (Because I wouldn't think the channel themselves would be making such censors, especially as some shows are preceded by a warning saying some language is 'of that era' etc.)

bomb_dog

'I'm alright Jack' had some bottoms blurred out in it too. I mean, honestly.

sevendaughters

watched Power Play last night. Donald Pleasence said he'd try and help some woman who was about to get tortured, and then she had an electrode attached to her nips and the power came on. ***

kaprisky

A few weeks ago in the Radio Times there was a feature on Talking Pictures which explained that Sarah made the cuts herself. Her reasoning was that she would get complaints for cutting certain scenes whilst trying to preserve the original material AND get complaints for NOT making cuts (outdated racial slurs and the like).

In the same article I think Noel said he really wanted to get Dixon of Dock Green on the channel, and that he wasn't interested in downloading or streaming. If it wasn't broadcast via a TV signal then it wasn't really television. I sympathise with that.

In a newsletter update a few months ago they were keen to point out that they research and license all the programming. I think they own the Southern back catalogue but they have also screened stuff from Thames, LWT, ATV, etc. The Max Wall profile and the Peter Cushing interview from The Human Factor and Night Mail II were originally from TVS (Southern's successor) but are seemingly owned by Peter Williams Television, who I think produced programmes for TVS.

Norton Canes

Quote from: kaprisky on July 07, 2021, 11:56:07 AM
If it wasn't broadcast via a TV signal then it wasn't really television

Excellent, confer a knighthood on this person

One Hour to Zero
children can't act
Dudley Sutton is a wrong un

Ambient Sheep

Tonight at 9pm (repeated 10 days later on Wednesdays at 2pm) they are starting to run the superb Secret Army (1977-79), the serious wartime BBC drama of which 'Allo 'Allo! was a parody.  Excerpts fom Wikipedia:

QuoteIt tells the story of a fictional Belgian resistance movement in German-occupied Belgium during the Second World War dedicated to returning Allied airmen, usually having been shot down by the Luftwaffe, to Great Britain. It was made in the UK and Belgium and three series were broadcast on BBC1 between 7 September 1977 and 15 December 1979.
QuoteSecret Army was created by Gerard Glaister as a follow-up to his drama series Colditz. Glaister was a former RAF pilot and his experiences provided the inspiration for the series.
QuoteFay Weldon said of the series: "There is, in the making of such programmes, a level of professionalism, and sheer patient, largely unacclaimed, hard work from producer to script editor to writer to designer to vision mixer to editor by way of sound and lighting engineers that is probably equalled only in a heart transplant theatre"

It also has a crackingly good haunting title sequence.

I saw quite a few of these when it first went out, as my parents, Mum especially, were massive fans.[nb]When 'Allo 'Allo! started my Mum was initially slightly horrified at having her favourite programme spoofed, but soon grew to love it.[/nb] Even as a 12-15yo who was rarely interested in something unless it was SF or comedy, I got quite enthralled by it sometimes.

Recommended.

(Also, interesting that they're showing it when they can't normally manage to licence BBC stuff.  Perhaps being a Belgian co-production somehow makes that easier.)

I'd happily give Colditz a complete rewatch. I've only ever seen the one
Spoiler alert
where the guy pretended to be mad
[close]

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. It's on series record now.

Island at War became my 'must-see' last winter. Let's give this one a whirl.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: A Hat Like That on September 26, 2021, 06:09:57 PM
I'd happily give Colditz a complete rewatch. I've only ever seen the one
Spoiler alert
where the guy pretended to be mad
[close]

Brilliant, isn't it?  The only one I remember from when it first went out.  I was only eight at the time, but it made a huge impression on me.

I rewatched that episode last year during lockdown and it's still amazing (the episode is called Tweedledum, S01E10, if anyone else wants to see it).

Quote from: A Hat Like That on September 26, 2021, 06:09:57 PMAnyway, thanks for the recommendation. It's on series record now.

Hope you enjoy it.  I won't be watching it until Wednesday week, but am looking forward to it.

Secret Army - very much in the same mould as Enemy at the Door

Some cold blooded stuff at the end of Episode 2.

Water
When I think of mediocre mid-80s british movies, this is the rough mental image I get.
I think I laughed once.

Norton Canes

That's the one with Paul Heiney as a Nazi Officer, isn't it - a part he got for one of his In At The Deep End episodes, which resulted in this classic exchange with Oliver Reed

Micheal Caine, Leonard Rossiter, Billy Connolly and the lad who played the lad who played Hitler in The Producers.

With a cast like that ...

Blumf

Seen some of a Pierce Brosnan miniseries Noble House. All overblown 80s rich people in Hong Kong doing power plays and that. There was an impressive, if hilarious, sequence with a big floating restaurant, where everybody was being rich and scheming, sets on fire and you see lots of people jump overboard.

I couldn't give the show my full attention, but the bits I did see were entertaining, if for the wrong reasons on occasion. Would like to give it a proper watch some time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_House_(miniseries)

Quote from: Blumf on October 07, 2021, 05:21:00 PM
Seen some of a Pierce Brosnan miniseries Noble House. All overblown 80s rich people in Hong Kong doing power plays and that. There was an impressive, if hilarious, sequence with a big floating restaurant, where everybody was being rich and scheming, sets on fire and you see lots of people jump overboard.

I couldn't give the show my full attention, but the bits I did see were entertaining, if for the wrong reasons on occasion. Would like to give it a proper watch some time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_House_(miniseries)

Watched Episode 4.

Made no damned sense.

However, the first, mid-late 80s Hong Kong is quite the setting.

However, the second, Dudley Sutton and Gordon Jackson rock up as, I think, intelligence officer and police chief. Their scenes are good fun, they spark off each other nicely and I'd happily watch a mid80s police drama set in Hong Kong with them two as ever presents. Someone go back in time and make it please.

However, the third, Tia Carrere as Venus Poon.

Norton Canes

Quote from: A Hat Like That on October 07, 2021, 08:46:04 AM
Water
When I think of mediocre mid-80s british movies, this is the rough mental image I get.
I think I laughed once

It's on again at 9pm tonight, if anyone's tempted.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: A Hat Like That on October 07, 2021, 08:46:04 AM
Water
I think I laughed once.

Made at the same time as A Private Function and funds from the latter's budget were pumped into Water when costs spiralled - Handmade thought Water was going to be be a big hit.

Connolly thought he would break America.

Funny how things turn out...

Secret Army episode 5 - just shouted at telly at the scene near the end in the cafe. (Young Paul Copley, there, which was nice)

As far as I can tell, Lifeline's record is:

0 airman rescued, 8 or so caught, 1 actively handed in by the cafe owner,  4 shot by the Germans, 1 murdered by Lifeline themselves.

Not entirely sure what side they're on.

Shit Good Nose

I've always had a soft spot for Water, but it's definitely in my "guilty pleasure" territory.