Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:48:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Talking Pictures

Started by Captain Crunch, May 13, 2018, 10:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 09, 2019, 02:25:15 PM
:(
Your entries in this thread sound like you've got a competing TV station and are trying to bad-mouth this one as much as possible. You may not be wrong, of course, but optics mate.

On this morning, Fathom (1967)

Only caught about half an hour due to other commitments but

purlieu

Starring Richard Briers as a low-cost James Bond, no less.

Just off to watch 1967 sci-fi adventure Terrornauts now!

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: purlieu on October 12, 2019, 12:29:45 PM
Just off to watch 1967 sci-fi adventure Terrornauts now!

Oh bugger, I meant to watch that myself.  Any good?

I see it's repeated next Sunday (20th October) at 09:55.

purlieu

It's noted for being the worst Amicus film. I'd probably agree.

It has a certain silly b-movie charm though.

Blumf

The Naked Civil Servant (1975) is on Sunday 2200h

Not actually seen it, but I think it's well regarded.

Ambient Sheep

Yes, I'm looking forward to that.  I well remember my father's discomfort at it being on the front of the TV Times that week.

Also, they're going to be showing Catweazle, starting on Saturday 2nd November at 15:30, continuing on Sunday at the same time, and then subsequent weekends likewise.

Was never a fan myself (possibly because it always seemed to be replacing something else in the schedules that I'd really been enjoying) but I know many people are, and I guess it might also be interesting for me to rewatch it through adult eyes to see if I appreciate it more.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Blumf on October 14, 2019, 01:53:54 AM
The Naked Civil Servant (1975) is on Sunday 2200h

Not actually seen it, but I think it's well regarded.

'On the day war was declared I went out and bought two pounds of henna and a freeview box.'

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Bently Sheds on September 23, 2019, 01:45:32 PMI retuned the telly in the communal lounge at my mum's care home and made the carers aware of the Talking Pictures channel. Apparently it's a big hit with the dementia crowd there as they recognise and remember the old faces they used to watch.

It seems you're not the only one.  From a recent Variety article that includes an interview with channel owner Noel Cronin:

QuoteThe channel has also had positive effects on many older viewers, including some in senior care centers who have withdrawn into themselves, Cronin says.

"One of the most interesting things we found is that we get a lot of mail from rest homes, care homes, and the stories are always the same. The people that sat there, didn't talk, didn't move, didn't do anything – they put the channel on and they start talking to each other, and the staff say it's fantastic. They're happy again. It jolts the memories. Maybe it was a car or a hair style – I think a time when they were happy."

Ambient Sheep

Just seen that at 16:20-17:25 this afternoon (Sat 2019/10/26) they're showing Memories of Lindsay Anderson: "A personal, intimate and affectionate look at the life and work of Lindsay Anderson, legendary film and theatre director."

It seems to be its first airing and there's no repeat apparently visible in the next two weeks.

Ambient Sheep

Just a reminder about tomorrow...

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 14, 2019, 05:53:49 AM...they're going to be showing Catweazle, starting on Saturday 2nd November at 15:30, continuing on Sunday at the same time, and then subsequent weekends likewise.

Quote from: A Hat Like That on July 27, 2019, 12:34:46 PM
was off work this week so caught a fair bit of it.

Not awful, there's some - shall we say - genuinely old fashioned language in it.

caught an early episode yesterday evening, with the vicar's son getting nailed to the floor.

Tony Marsh does do a good bastard, has to be said.

Attila

Catch Us if You Can is on the 24th -- I haven't seen that in maybe 15 years, and even then it was a one-off lucky chance. I'm a DC5 fan, so  this makes me happy.

Remembering Stanley Baker, with Glyn Baker

I really enjoyed this.

studpuppet

Quote from: Attila on November 18, 2019, 03:20:40 PM
Catch Us if You Can is on the 24th -- I haven't seen that in maybe 15 years, and even then it was a one-off lucky chance.

This is truly brilliant - a better film (John Boorman!) than Hard Day's Night, but the band are shitter actors unfortunately. And who can forget Yootha Joyce in full MILF mode?

I'm a DC5 fan, so  this makes me happy.

You should be watching it as a double-bill with one of the most self-aggrandising documentaries of all time (or just scroll to the end credits for the real fun):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frTyyZjH5vE

Attila

Oh wow, yes! Cheers for that link. I think there's like only 1 or 2 official CDs of their work (one that came out about 15 or so years ago, and was listed in my divorce settlement so that my ex couldn't claim it). I've got all of their LPs floating around here somewhere.

I know ol' Dave is a bit of a weirdie, but if I had a time machine, I'd head straight back to see Time at the Dominion. From everything I've read it was completely mental.

Attila

Catch Us if You Can is on the 24th -- I haven't seen that in maybe 15 years, and even then it was a one-off lucky chance. I'm a DC5 fan, so  this makes me happy.

Gah, I missed a trick there -- should have said it makes me glad all over.

I'll see myself out.

Ambient Sheep

Hopefully worth noting that they're starting a re-run of Rumpole of the Bailey at 9pm tonight and then every Wednesday thereafter.

They did an afternoon weekdays run of them around six months ago (20th May onwards) and I managed to catch the first couple, until they started hurriedly dropping episodes when they realised they weren't suitable for their 2pm slot (a bit of a rookie mistake for such an accomplished channel -- and it WAS a mistake, given that the transmissions ended up being at odds with the published schedules).  At that point I got narked, and since they announced they'd be showing them all intact in an evening slot later in the year I decided to wait... and here we are!

If you don't know it, it's about the adventures of a middle-aged cigar-chomping defence barrister at the Old Bailey, superbly played by Leo McKern in what's probably his defining role (The Prisoner notwithstanding).  Written by John Mortimer QC, based on his own and his father's experience at the Bar.

Mortimer was an old-fashioned leftie (he carried out several obscenity defences, including one for Virgin Nottingham's manager having put "Never Mind the Bollocks" in his shop window display!), and it certainly showed in at least one, if not both, of the ones I saw.

Full of wry humour and sarcastic digs (especially at the expense of the judiciary) I enjoyed it as a teenager -- much to my own surprise back then -- and I also enjoyed the first couple I saw back in May.

Recommended.

One of the other remote sky channels (drama? yesterday?) has a good number of Rumpoles.

Frankenstein Created Woman was on late last night. I think its the best of the Cushing Frankensteins and has an ending that is up there with Witch-finder General in the British Horror Bleakness scale.

kaprisky

Talking Pictures left out one episode per series of Rumpole, deliberately I believe. I checked the episode guide against their published schedules and found this to be the case. I'm not entirely sure why they chose the 2pm slot when the original transmissions were all at 9pm. The True Entertainment channel showed all the episodes of the fifth, sixth and seventh series and if you finished watching the Talking Pictures eps you could switch over and watch a completely different Rumpole episode!

The only real error I can remember was TPTV showing the same episode of Rooms on consecutive days ('Sarah' starring Susie Blake and Maureen Lipman) so you never knew how it finished!

I've been really getting into Special Branch recently. Derren Nesbitt and co having to operate while Moxon puts restraints on them. Great.

EDIT: Having looked at it a little closer the 'Sarah' episode of Rooms appears to have been one part only, maybe because it was a Christmas/New Year episode. Which means that the only real error TPTV have made is occasionally screening the odd programme in the wrong aspect ratio.

Bad Ambassador

I think they also omitted an episode of Shadows of Fear from their recent run, though it's possible it was a missing episode (one episode was in black and white, and I don't know if that was a consequence of the colour strike).

Harry Badger

Quote from: A Hat Like That on November 20, 2019, 10:16:29 AM
Frankenstein Created Woman was on late last night. I think its the best of the Cushing Frankensteins and has an ending that is up there with Witch-finder General in the British Horror Bleakness scale.

I watched that too. Hadn't seen it in years, and yes, that's probably Cushing's best performance for Hammer.

Another gem was 'Blue Pullman' a 30 minute, narration-free account of the titular train's first journey in 1960. A fascinating look at a bygone age with a beautiful, specially commissioned score by Clifton Parker.

Keep the recommendations coming Ambient Sheep, I had no idea Rumpole was being shown on there and would love to re-visit it. Also looking forward to the DC5 film. I had the pleasure of having John Boorman as a guest at a film thing I used to run and would have asked him about it had I done my homework!

studpuppet

It's worth noting (with Christmas approaching) that Talking Pictures' merchandising arm has all your Public Eye fanboi needs sewn up:

https://www.renownfilms.co.uk/product/the-frank-marker-fan-club-badge-collection/

Ambient Sheep

Michael Powell (of Powell & Pressburger fame)'s infamous Peeping Tom (1960) is on tonight at 10pm.

Failing that, it's repeated Sat 28th at 9:40pm.

Ambient Sheep

Followed by The Night Strangler (1973) at midnight: the sequel to The Night Stalker (1972) that sparked the TV Series Kolchak: The Night Stalker which in turn inspired The X-Files.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 21, 2019, 06:30:10 AMI'd like to recommend this afternoon's sci-fi B-movie Unearthly Stranger (1964), which for some reason TP prefix with a "The".

I saw it earlier this year and was highly impressed; a really good little film that deserves to be better known.

It also stars somebody whom I only knew from a famous role MUCH later in his life, and when I realised who it was, I squeeeed.  So I'm not going to name him in case you want the same experience (mind you first time round I missed the opening credits which might well give the game away).

It seems I wasn't alone in being impressed; according to Wikipedia:

QuoteUnearthly Stranger was selected by the film historians Steve Chibnall and Brian McFarlane as one of the 15 most meritorious British B films made between World War II and 1970. [...] describing it as "a highly effective fable" and praising its "unsettling atmosphere of dislocation and tension which disturbs our taken-for-granted assumptions about the worlds of office and home".

It's on this afternoon (Saturday 2019/09/21) at 16:10 to 17:45.  No repeat visible as yet.

Repeated tomorrow (Thu 26th December) morning at 9.25am.

Last night on Talking Pictures

High Journey

Orson Welles narrates a series of flypast footage of European NATO countries. It's rather good, just the right mix of good aerial photography and Orson Welles being Orson Welles. A section can be found here: https://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/41348/media_id/6246.