Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:53:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Ricky Gervais Netflix Shitfest [split topic]

Started by The Lion King, May 07, 2018, 06:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lion King

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/993529557847363584

'I start pre production on my new Netflix show tomorrow. It's a 6 part, dark comedy, in which I play a man who, after the death of his wife, becomes suicidal but decides to live long enough to punish the world by saying and doing whatever the fuck he likes from now on.'

uh oh

Steven

Quote from: The Lion King on May 07, 2018, 06:29:05 PM
'I start pre production on my new Netflix show tomorrow. It's a 6 part, dark comedy, in which I play a man who, after the death of his wife, becomes suicidal but decides to live long enough to punish the world by saying and doing whatever the fuck he likes from now on.'

St_Eddie

uh oh

I'm crossing all 23 of my fingers and toes, in the hope that this will be Derek 2.0.

McFlymo

"He's not scared of a mugger because they can't kill his wife, he doesn't give a f***, they can't hurt him any more", Gervais continued. "This new-found thing liberates him. It's dark but it's funny and he gets embroiled with people he would never mix with in the underworld. It's like he lives two lives." - http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-10-05/ricky-gervais-is-penning-a-new-netflix-series-about-a-suicidal-man/

So Breaking Bad...?

RicoMNKN

My initial thought from that summary was Michael Winner's Parting Shots.

up_the_hampipe

Let me guess, there's at least one scene where the guy goes up to religious people and shames them for believing in an imaginary man in the sky. Nailing those mongs!

Steven

Who can forget the contrived offense as Rickys "not give a fuck" character decides to try homosexuality just for the fuck off it and proceeds to ride a huge black mans shaft while singing "Sitting on a cock cos Im gay" ?

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 13, 2018, 09:49:25 PM
Fuck off, Ricky, you're not losing your hair in a drastic way, you're just receding a bit. You'll probably never be bald like 80% of CaB.

That's the only truly offensive thing he's ever said, I'm disgusted.

I predict a sitcom where baldness is a synonym for being kind.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Steven on May 07, 2018, 07:53:40 PM
Who can forget the contrived offense as Rickys "not give a fuck" character decides to try homosexuality just for the fuck off it and proceeds to ride a huge black mans shaft while singing "Sitting on a cock cos Im gay" ?

But remember the song isn't funny on its own, just in the context of that situation.

If you tell a mugger they can't do anything to hurt you because your wife is dead, I bet they'd still have a bloody good go.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on May 07, 2018, 09:40:45 PM
If you tell a mugger they can't do anything to hurt you because your wife is dead, I bet they'd still have a bloody good go.

It's also bollocks for Gervais to suggest that just because you've given up on life and have suicidal thoughts and intentions, that you no longer fear pain, or even death.  It's an incredibly harmful myth that suicidal people aren't afraid of going through with the act ("if they really meant it, they'd have done it already.  They just want attention and sympathy").  Not only do I speak from personal experience but you can ask anyone who volunteers or works with suicidal and depressed people and they'll tell just have ignorant and harmful this bullshit line of thinking is.

Fucking hell.  Gervais hasn't even started filming this thing yet and already he's being offensive for all the wrong (and unintentional) reasons.  What a clueless dickhead.

Cuellar

uh oh

YES!!!!

Breaking Bad/Falling Down/Pat Farrell from Alpha Papa.

I sincerely sincerely hope that at the end of the 1st episode, the enlightened 'Micky Jermain' character stands up to a mugger and gets stabbed in the neck and dies.

Other 5 episodes are Gervais delivering homiletic lectures on religion, science, art, comedy, and mongs, straight down the camera for 45 minutes. No set, no supporting cast, nothing. Him in a room.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 01, 2018, 10:29:35 AM
Going out of their way to do so, in fact, since he gave no option to say Humanity was anything other than a triumph.  At worst it's the best comedy of the year.

That must have been an ironic joke? Gervais isn't a complete moron, he knows his stand up is worse than Burr etc. It has to be yet another joke where he pretends he's the best thing since sliced bread, the same thing he's been doing constantly since 2001.

Famous Mortimer

uh oh
It's the sort of thing I'd have dreamed up when I was 16. How can this be real?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 08, 2018, 01:34:04 PM
That must have been an ironic joke? Gervais isn't a complete moron, he knows his stand up is worse than Burr etc. It has to be yet another joke where he pretends he's the best thing since sliced bread, the same thing he's been doing constantly since 2001.

I would say go back and watch Talking Funny to see if he thinks he's a great stand-up and on the level of those clearly miles ahead of him.

colacentral

So this'll be like Breaking Bad but if you were meant to think Walt was genuinely cool and tough.

this sounds mental in a really promising way. and when i say 'promising', i mean 'Derek 2.0 brainbending hatewatch promising'.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Cuellar on May 08, 2018, 09:58:15 AMBreaking Bad/Falling Down

Derking Bad. Punching Down.

This sounds incredible. Can't wait to see how he BUSTS THROUGH SOCIETY'S PC TABOOS and SAYS THE UNSAYABLE like "You're disabled!" and "You're black!" and "You're a man!". Ready for some ground to be motherfucking broken.

In other news, looking at the responses to that tweet, I guess a blue tick doesn't mean what it once did.

yesitsme

My Name is Earl meets Benjamin Button.

Derek 2 - Derekoning.

Cuellar

Tweeted "If this is even one tenth as astounding as Derek, we're in for a real treat" at Gervais

AND HE FUCKING 'LIKED' IT - YES

Ferris

Quote from: Cuellar on May 09, 2018, 09:44:36 AM
Tweeted "If this is even one tenth as astounding as Derek, we're in for a real treat" at Gervais

Lovely stuff.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Cuellar on May 09, 2018, 09:44:36 AM

That's beautiful.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Mango Chimes on May 08, 2018, 09:01:36 PM
Can't wait to see how he BUSTS THROUGH SOCIETY'S PC TABOOS and SAYS THE UNSAYABLE like "You're disabled!" and "You're black!"

He already did this in The Invention of Lying. And to a lesser extent Extras. And in The Office too. Everything he does seems to be geared towards being unPC and a bit mean.

Crabwalk

Isn't this also the plot of Lethal Weapon? Instead of taking his rage out on pimps and dealers, Ricky's going to get into a passive-aggressive row with a deaf lesbian.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 07, 2018, 10:38:35 PM
It's also bollocks for Gervais to suggest that just because you've given up on life and have suicidal thoughts and intentions, that you no longer fear pain, or even death.  It's an incredibly harmful myth that suicidal people aren't afraid of going through with the act ("if they really meant it, they'd have done it already.  They just want attention and sympathy").  Not only do I speak from personal experience but you can ask anyone who volunteers or works with suicidal and depressed people and they'll tell just have ignorant and harmful this bullshit line of thinking is.

Fucking hell.  Gervais hasn't even started filming this thing yet and already he's being offensive for all the wrong (and unintentional) reasons.  What a clueless dickhead.

The problem is he hasn't researched this deeply enough. He needs to actually kill himself, then he'll know what it feels like.

Phil_A

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 09, 2018, 10:12:05 PM
He already did this in The Invention of Lying. And to a lesser extent Extras. And in The Office too. Everything he does seems to be geared towards being unPC and a bit mean.

I was thinking this does sound quite a lot like the basic premise of The Invention Of Lying, in which for arbitrary reasons a man is able to flout the conventions of society and is seen as a heroic Christ-like figure because of it.

Of course, Ricky would never compare himself to Jesus. That's for other people to say.

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 07, 2018, 10:38:35 PM

This.

Danger Man

Quote from: McFlymo on May 07, 2018, 07:34:37 PM
"He's not scared of a mugger because they can't kill his wife, he doesn't give a f***, they can't hurt him any more", Gervais continued. "This new-found thing liberates him. It's dark but it's funny and he gets embroiled with people he would never mix with in the underworld. It's like he lives two lives." - http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-10-05/ricky-gervais-is-penning-a-new-netflix-series-about-a-suicidal-man/

So Breaking Bad...?

Many many years ago I read an interview where some bloke said that his wife's death made him lose all fear.

It might even have been in The Face......they probably had a paragraph on Seona Dancing.......hmmmm.....the plot thins.